RLM finally did it / Plinkett reviews Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Char Aznable, Sep 1, 2010.

1. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

That's up for the individual to decide. Most people didn't know it was Ryder until they were told it was her. . .I'm really beginning to think a lot of people have outdated notions of what a woman in her 50s should look like, think of it like this: in the 23rd century, where people commonly live to be 120-130 years old, 50 isn't going to be (or look) old. . .

~FS

2. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Three guys, one saucer."

Heh.

3. Sabataage

Sabataage Commander Red Shirt

I understand that. I don't think every actor should be the same age as their character. What I'm talking about though is 'believability'. In the same a way an actor in his early thirties can be unconvincing as a teenager, an actress in aged make-up playing a middle-aged mom (when she's only a few years older than her 'son') can be distracting.

Winona Ryder is just an odd fit as Spock's mom. Ben Cross, on the other hand, actually remebles Nimoy at certain angles, and he has a scholarly presence and coldness that's perfect for Sarek. An actress closer to Ben Cross's age (63) would have been a more believable choice, in my opinion, both as his wife and Quinto's mother...

Once again though, this was a casting decision made over a year ago involving a character who was only on screen for a little under eight minutes and who will most likely never be seen again. So its not that big a deal to me.

... Ooh- ooh! [waves arms] Hang on... how about Monica Bellucci!? She's like forty-six and way hotter than Diane Lane! Too Italian? How about Helen Mirren? Too old? Annette Benning, then! She super smart and was way hot in The American President. I'll admit I have a thing for older women.

4. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Her believability is something you to decide for yourself. . . like I said in the other post. . . most people didn't know it was her and had to be told. . . she looks like she could be related to Zachary Quinto, she was young enough to play someone in her late 20s, and could be aged with makeup. . . that was all that was really required of the role. . .

~FS

5. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

Boom! FarStrider, you nailed it! She was cast for all those reasons, it totally works. Also, several members of the cast seemed to have been selected for their resemblance to the actors from TOS (Karl Urban totally looks like he could be related to Dee Kelley! Ben Cross and Mark Lenard also share some facial similarities pre-pointed ears). The resemblance between Winona and Jane Wyatt I found to be quite striking as well.

6. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Re: Great Review of Latest Star Trek Movie

What great movie reviews?:guffaw:

Is this thread still rolling on?:confused:

Wiona Ryder was OK for her comparatively minor supporting role and she was more bearable than she was in Alien: Resurrection, but it felt bit weird, like Jeri Ryan turning up in that Mortal Kombat trailer, and she was perhaps too young.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

RLM is finally doing Episode 3 next. Check out his "webzone" for the excellent trailer.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder, could Wiona Ryder been casted, made to look younger, whichever, so that Sarek would look more of a horndog in this Universe? I like the implications of that.

9. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

10. jimoinj

jimoinj Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I gotta say...I see his point that they were aiming at mainstream audiences and hypercharging everything to make it more interesting for them...and that the TNG cast did look a bit tired and weren't suited to action films... Even if they had to make this film into an action one, it wouldn't have hurt to have given it some more heart and morals. Surely action and morality are not mutually exclusive?

11. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

He does kinda put it into perspective.

12. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's subjective. It may not just had enough for you, for instance. I thought the opening sequences, Spock and Sarek's moments, Kirk and Pike's moments, had a lot of heart, and in some cases had a better emotional impact than some of Trek's other attemps. So YMMV.

13. jimoinj

jimoinj Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Perhaps, but I don't think I'm alone in this point, isn't it one of the more common ones from long-time fans? It's what makes Star Trek different from Star Wars. I didn't feel the new movie was much different.

14. Char Aznable

Char Aznable Lieutenant Commander

Actually, the vast majority of long time fans loved the movie. Hell, they most likely appreciated XI more than the general public. Its only a tiny minority that never really understood what Star Trek (TOS mainly) was and what made it work to begin with. People keep bitching about messages and heart and intellect when XI really wasn't any dumber than most of the Trek moves we had so far. Granted, the plot could have been tighter with a better developed villain and Kirk could have been challenged better than he was in XI (though I imagine the sequel will address these issues), but getting away from Trek's awful pretentious preachiness and exclusionary (is that a word?) attitude was a GOOD thing. Star Trek was always meant for the general public to consume, even as far back as TOS. This is anb objective fact.

15. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I wouldn't say it didn't have as much heart or anything like that, but it didn't seem to have as strong a theme as some of the others. And that's probably because they were trying to cram so much in. Hopefully the second movie will have a stronger one.

Being preachy or heavy handed doesn't really equate with failure since Avatar was hugely successful.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Saving the Federation from certain destruction?

Nah - not enough morals.:eek:

17. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

Great stuff.

His review of TPM was 1000 X better than the actual film.

18. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

TMP?

I liked the bit with the woman on the street after STXI "had it's way with her"... 'Oh, that wasn't so bad!'

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

TPM = (Star Wars) The Phantom Menace, I'm pretty sure - the RLM review of that movie got quite a bit of attention.

20. Sabataage

Sabataage Commander Red Shirt

SF Debris has a pretty great review of/rant over TMP on his youtube page.