House of Cards (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Jan 28, 2013.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

It doesn't have to be orchestrated by one man, he simply has to get the ball rolling. The rest will snowball into place.

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not sure was a man who was an Australian Labor Prime minister nearly 40 years ago has to with things.

Wonder if Netflix is going to sell it to other channels (don't have Netflix ).

It also got a fairly mediocre review in the Globe & Mail yesterday. The review put much of the blame on the production side due to the involvement of people with no tv experience. Being good in movies production the article argues doesn't make one suitable for the small screen.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen a single episode.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then, you're letting the side down.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll get to episode two tonight! I'm spending a lot more time trying to figure out what "rating" the show is getting. Finally found something...

Hmm, but as I've noted before, as a Netflix subscriber, I wouldn't have known this show existed if Netflix were my only information source. A couple days before the launch, I saw tons of ads offering the first episode free, so that might be Netflix's real test for the new show. And it's too early for anyone to be counting my viewing, since I haven't even seen the second ep but plan to see the whole thing.

Also, direct comparisons to HBO won't work since HBO doesn't have a slew of episodes and movies all available at the same time, distracting subscribers from seeing any given show within any given time period.

So Netflix is right not to let the numbers get out (it took some digging for me to even find this much), there are too many apples & oranges comparisons that could happen and make them look bad unfairly.

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I'd like to know how many people added it to their queue, as well.

Part of the reason that network television shows (and to a lesser extent, HBO/Showtime shows) get such high ratings is because people without DVRs have no choice but to watch them live, the day they air. With Netflix, there is no such requirement. Plus, last weekend was the Super Bowl, maybe viewership will uptick this weekend.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And I don't know how other people watch shows on Netflix, but I do one show at a time. I am currently watching "Supernatural." I will not move on to a new show until I am finished watching that show. Maybe I'll watch "House of Cards" next, but I'm not going to interrupt the show I'm currently watching.

8. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

We need to know how Procera determines what program is actually being streamed. Without that knowledge, it's hard to judge the accuracy of their report.
    How does an outside company determine and separate what content gets viewed at any given moment? :confused:

9. Guy Gardener

It's question of impartiality.

Netflix could give out it's own numbers but they could easily diddle them since really why can't they make up their own numbers if it means that they generate more profit?

So an outside source, probably a shell company they created and afforded autonomy, would have to be given complete access otherwise Netflixes advertisers who are handing over billions in advertising revenue would say "fuck off" prove to me you are giving me access to the demographics I want so that I can trust that you are not lying you smug bastard.

You know this, it's just logic.

Who is gagging for more so much so that they've acquired the English version for consumption?

10. bigdaddy

I think they should have released the episodes more spread out, even if it's three episodes a week for a month. If for no other reason than word of mouth and press. They got great press for a week, now there is not much.

11. Guy Gardener

People buy a DVD box sets and watch the crap out of them.

It's a practical business model to facilitate these people who are no longer a minority if DVD sales are to be believed.

The immediate binge is impractical because PEOPLE HAVE LIVES but once a 13 hours black of time can be booked, House of Cards can be totally put to bed, unless they're planning on watching one episode a night for 2 weeks.

No one is that strong unless real life forces them to be.

They'll quit because it's shit or start doubling up, then tripling up.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. bigdaddy

All I'm saying is that March 1st you can watch the whole season at once. You release it slowly so the online people keep talking about it. No one is talking about the show, they are all talking about numbers.

13. Guy Gardener

No one is watching it so no one will watch it?

14. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Netflix does not sell advertising on it's site or on any of the movies/shows they stream.

15. Guy Gardener

16. Temis the Vorta

I never heard of Procera, but they look like one of those Neilsens-for-the-digital-age wannabee companies springing up all over, like the ones that monitor and analyze social media discussions. They'd have a motive to be objective if they want to get corporate clients, which is how they'd make their money.

Netflix wouldn't be their main type of client (their clients are "carriers, broadband providers and higher education institutions"), so it looks like Procera is using the notoriety of the House of Cards launch just to raise their profile and maybe get a few more of their usual sorts of clients. Here's a longer discussion on their website.

These guys know a lot more about other people's business than they probably should. :rommie:

Okay, which one of you guys did that?

They're spying on Sweden, too.

17. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watchin' the tenth episode now!

18. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just started binge-watch and enjoying enormously so far. I love Spacey's asides to camera, and find Robin Wright fascinating to look at. :luvlove:

19. Guy Gardener

I thought I was astonished by Robin's transformation between Buttercup and Jenny from Forest Gump. There's no gradual process with this woman, she just comes out of hiding every decade and says "This is me now, like it?"

Anyone thinking about Spacey from American Beauty talking about how wrong it was to take that tiny blonde child's virtue? How he grasped her innocence figuratively seconds before he was about to grasp her innocence literally and understood the utter wrongitudity of his propectus?

Kate Mara might be 30, but she still looks like she's... I remember her from Jack and bobby in 2002, she used to have a complete awkwrdness about herself... But it still feels like Kevin is treading water over the same moral delema about how wise it is to have sex with a child if she looks like an adult, except this time he's come to a different conclusion.

20. Temis the Vorta

TheWrap picks up on the Procera story...

Plus, why give HBO, Amazon and iTunes inside competitive info?

PS, I just got a red envelope with HoC advertising. Maybe they noticed I watched the first ep and stopped, and decided to give me a kick in the pants. :D (I'm probably giving them more credit than they deserve. More likely they still had a supply of blank red envelopes in my area and only now got down thru the pile to the HoC ones.)