Generations Expanded Soundtrack!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Jeyl, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

The time has finally arrived. GNP has officially announced the Expanded Edition Soundtrack to Star Trek: Generations!

Star Trek: Generations Expanded Collector's Edition 2CD

GNP Crescendo Records continues its commitment to Star TrekTM fans with the first-ever release of Dennis McCarthy/’s complete score for Star Trek Generations (1994). This 2 CD collector/’s edition features the complete film score on disc one (including music for one scene deleted from the finished film), and a remastered version of the 1994 GNP soundtrack album (and its innovative sound effects library) on disc two.

Star Trek Generations was the first feature film starring the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation, a /“passing the baton/” story in which Star Trek: The Original Series character James T. Kirk (William Shatner) teams up with Star Trek: The Next Generation Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) via a mysterious space/time phenomenon called the Nexus to battle an obsessed alien scientist, Dr. Soran (Malcolm McDowell).

Generations/’ atypical (for Star Trek) mood of melancholy, contemplation and—ultimately—uplift was captured by the composer who has scored more hours of the modern-day Star Trek television series than any other, Dennis McCarthy. Relishing the opportunity to work with a large orchestra and a more cinematic vocabulary, McCarthy used a broader, more melodic palette befitting the big-screen presentation.

From its innovatively gentle main title music to its traditionally heroic themes, from its haunting choir-infused music for the Nexus to its strategically spotted quotes of Alexander Courage/’s Star Trek fanfare, McCarthy’s score both honors tradition and brings a fresh new voice to the Star Trek universe.

GNP Crescendo released the original soundtrack album to Star Trek Generations in 1994, featuring 45 minutes of score highlights. This expanded release includes not only the full score (nearly 76 minutes) and remastered album, but also 3 bonus tracks—including the motion picture dialogue “Lifeforms” performed and somewhat improvised by Brent Spiner (as Data).

The accompanying 16-page booklet includes informative notes by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall and is lavishly illustrated with film stills. A track-by-track commentary for both discs by John Takis is available online at gnpcrescendo.com/generations. STAR TREK GENERATIONS—2 CD Collector’s Edition (GNPD 8080) is a limited edition of 10,000 units, and is available solely as a physical CD from GNP Crescendo Records, www.gnpcrescendo.com.

Star Trek: Generations 2CD Expanded Collector's Edition

™ & © 2012 CBS Studios Inc. © 2012 Paramount Pictures Corporation. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Here are the track listings.

Disc One
    1. Main Title 2:54
    2. Past Glory 1:19
    3. The Enterprise B 0:42
    4. Distress Call / Harriman and the Ribbon 4:27
    5. Kirk Saves the Day / Deck 15 / HMS Enterprise 4:50
    6. Picard's Message / Raid Post Mortem 4:43
    7. Data and the Emotions 0:54
    8. Time is Running Out 1:11
    9. Data Malfunctions 2:29
    10 Soran Kidnaps Geordi 2:44
    11. Guinan and the Nexus 2:47
    12. Torture 1:37
    13. Soran's Plan Revealed 1:49
    14. Prisoner Exchange 2:59
    15. Outgunned 3:22
    16. The Gap / Coolant Leak / Appointment with Eternity / Out of Control / Blasted / The Crash 5:43
    17. Coming to Rest 1:00
    18. The Nexus 1:32
    19. A Chrismtas Hug / The Kitchen Debate 8:03
    20. Coming to Rest 1:38
    21. Two Captains / Crash Recap 2:04
    22. The Final Fight 6:15
    23. The Captain of the Enterprise (Kirk's Death) 2:45
    24. To Live Forever 2:40
    25. Star Trek: Generations Overture 4:13
    Total Disc Time 75:39

Disc Two: Remastered Soundtrack Album
    1. Star Trek: Generations Overture 4:13
    2. Main Title 2:54
    3. The Enterprise B / Kirk Saves the Day 3:13
    4. Deck 15 1:41
    5. Time is Running Out 1:11
    6. Prisoner Exchange 2:58
    7. Outgunned 3:22
    8. Out of Control / The Crash 2:05
    9. Coming to Rest 1:00
    10 The Nexus / A Christmas Hug 7:07
    11. Jumping the Ravine 1:38
    12. Two Captains 1:34
    13. The Final Fight 6:15
    14. Kirk's Death 2:45
    15. To Live Forever 2:40
    Star Trek: Generations Sound Effects
    16. Enterprise B Bridge 3:13
    17. Enterprise B Doors Open 0:13
    18. Distress Call Alert 0:10
    19. Enterprise B Helm Controls 0:16
    20. Nexus Energy Ribbon 1:38
    21. Enterprise B Deflector Beam 0:08
    22. Enterprise B Warp Pass-by 0:14
    23. Enterprise B Transporter 0:12
    24. Tricorder 0:30
    25. Hypo Injector 0:03
    26. Communicator Chirp 0:06
    27. Door Chime 0:07
    28. Enterprise D Warp Out #1 0:22
    29. Bird of Prey Bridge / Explosion 2:51
    30. Klingon Sensor Alert 0:08
    31. Bird of Prey Cloaks 0:04
    32. Bird of Prey De-cloaks );10
    33. Klingon Transporter 0:12
    34. Soran's Gun 0:11
    35. Soran's Rocket De-cloaks 0:05
    36. Shuttlecraft Pass-by 0:21
    37. Enterprise D Bridge / Crash Sequence 3:21
    38. Enterprise D Warp-Out #2 0:09
    Bonus Tracks
    39. Prisoner Exchange (film version) 2:59
    40. A Christmas Hug (choir only) 1:22
    41. Lifeforms (Vocal: Brent Spiner_ 0:17
    Total Disc Time 66:11

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Such a great, underrated score! I am hoping this one gets a reevaluation like Star Trek III's score did. Really good stuff, I've wanted the full presentation since the film came out.

Buying it.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

LOVE this score - criminally underrated. Order placed!

4. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ordered when I was the notification on FSM.

Looking forward to it. :)

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally!!

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm... I wonder if there will be a (legal) way to get just the first disc. The second doesn't have anything I feel I need, and I'm spending so much on the TOS box set that it would make it difficult to splurge on this as well.

7. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

Itunes or Amazon MP3?

8. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just listened to the soundtrack and it really is McCarthy's best work, terribly underrated. The online liner notes for the new release just prove how thematic it actually is. Can't wait to hear some of those unreleased cues!

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be nice, but I haven't noticed the other expanded albums getting digital releases so far (though the giant Ron Jones box set did).

10. OneBuckFilms

With few exceptions, the labels putting out these complete scores on CD don't have the digital rights.

Also, for the GNP Crescendo expansions (Generations and First Contact), they are limited to 10,000 copies to save money on union reuse fees (at 10,000 units or lower, the AFM allows for a much cheaper, "archival" rate, making some of these titles financially feasible for the niche market who collects them).

I'm guessing the Trek II thru VI releases may be limited to 10,000 copies, but it isn't stated openly (perhaps studio wishes).

Either that, or the labels (FSM/Retrograde and Intrada) are hoping to keep the titles in print for a long enough time to make their money back.

Either way, unless Paramount wants to release the scores for digital download, it is unlikely we'll see them released that way.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Ron Jones set eventually made its way to digital download, didn't it?

I'd recommend selling the old CD on the secondary market, but a perusal of Amazon reveals that good copies are going for less than fifty cents.

12. OneBuckFilms

That was an exception to the general rule, Harvey.

Lukas Kendall shelled out for the download rights for the Ron Jones Project as well as the album rights.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Thrilled for this release. I don't mind having an extra disc either. ROCK ON!

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Same here.

15. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Excellent! I've been waiting for this one to come out. Buying it!

Now I can't wait for Nemesis' ST.

ETA: Ordered!

16. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

It's here!

The original Generations soundtrack was the first CD I ever purchased - I was 11 and it went perfectly with the new CD player my parents gave me for Chanukah that year. So upgrading that CD with this one has a bit of sentimental meaning for me. :)

Sound quality is light-years better than the original album and the new music is a nice treat, especially the action material.

17. doubleohfive

Finally got around to ordering mine just now. Very much looking forward to listening to it!

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I ordered mine on Monday, and got the shipping email yesterday. This is my first order direct from the GNP Cresendo site, so I have no idea how much longer my wait for it will be. The shipping email didn't say, unlike Amazon.

But, at least I know it's on it's way. Between this, and next months' 15 disk TOS soundtrack, I'm looking forward to many hours of Star Trek music.

19. doubleohfive

How weird. I placed my order, and within 30 minutes got an email saying the CD had shipped.

I know that it can vary in terms of time reply with these things, but I also live in California (I know for a fact that I live less than ten minutes from La-La Land, for example) so its likely I'm not too far from where GNP is based also.

Hopefully though we will both be surprised with the soonish delivery of our coveted discs! :)

20. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

You're not. :)

Neil