So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished the first Star Trek: Seekers novel a few days ago.

I'm currently reading the second Seekers book, Point of Divergence, by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore.

2. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just (finally) finished reading "A Singular Destiny" by Keith R. A. DeCandido (2009) and after rereading Chapter 1, I went through the whole book quickly. I feel that I may read some of the more up-to-date books now (relatively speaking). Not sure what to read next but there are many choices.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right now, reading Jurassic Park again. I loved it as a teenager, but my only copy was Dutch, and I hate reading Dutch novels, especially ones that have been translated from English to Dutch. So, bought a English version, and went straight in.

I forgot how much I love this book.

4. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I think I have that book - I'll have to re-read it and give it a try with the new crew in mind. Cool idea :)

5. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Week before last finished Seekers 2 Point of Divergence by Ward/Dilmore

Last week finished The Seventh Angel by Jeff Edwards

Currently finishing Immune: Rho Agenda Book-Two by Richard Phillips

Next up: The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull and The Battle of The Little Big Horn by Nathaniel Philbrick

And: Star Trek The Lost Era: One Constant Star by David R George III

6. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I have not had any interest in the Star Wars books but if Mack was to write one I would likely buy it. I would worry though that Abrams would pull the same crap he did on the Nu-Trek books and the book never see the light of day.

Kevin

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Abrams doesn't have the same kind of control over those type of decisions that he had while he was doing Star Trek.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah. The LFL story group is overseeing all of the tie-ins now, and Abrams isn't on it.

9. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Just starting "Ex Machina".

I went through several years of not reading ANYTHING. I feel like Scotty in Relics, playing catch up. And now I'm devouring Trek books like a fiend.

10. PicardAnyCard

PicardAnyCard Ensign Red Shirt

Currently rereading Peaceable Kingdoms for the millionth time.

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Enjoying my new copy of VOY: Acts of Contrition :)

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Just read MD Lachlan's Wolfsangel. Not bad, but not great either - I doubt I'll go looking for the sequels unless they turn up for 50p in a charity shop.

It was entertaining enough, and - with the exception of POV shifts within paragraphs, which is a personal bugbear of mine - well written, but it never quite delivered on its promises. It all actually feels like a more low-key subplot or spinoff from a more epic whole, if you see what I mean. Rather than feeling like I've dipped into the wider world, however, I feel more like I've been cut off from the interesting stuff in that world. Characterisation constantly *almost* gets there, but then falls back on telling us something rather than revealing it through thoughts or actions or story...

I probably sound a lot more negative about it than I actually am, because it was entertaining, and I loved all the Viking stuff, but it just doesn't quite deliver on what it's clearly capable of delivering. It also feels like just backstory to a future epic, rather than an epic in its own right...

Ah well. Good, and if you like Norse stuff or the Vikings TV show you should get something out of it, but it so clearly could have been much... *more*.

13. Thrawn

I'm reading Star Wars: A New Dawn, the first novel in the new continuity. Awesome so far.

But man, if you want a spectacular demonstration of how myths change with the times, check this out. The Empire in Star Wars was all impersonal destruction; Death Stars and Stormtroopers. In A New Dawn, the primary villain is a business efficiency expert who thinks nothing of murdering people to raise workers' motivation, and a large part of the story centers around undisclosed pervasive surveillance of everything that anyone says. That's what the evil Empire looks like these days.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading Startrek Ds9 Raise the dawn by David R.George. I'm now reading DeepSix by Jack McDevitt A very good space exploration story.

15. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The book started off good, but damn the middle of it was just a chore to get through. But the last 60 some pages are fantastic.

I wrapped up Losing the Peace. What a powerhouse of an emotional rollercoaster that book was. Now I'm on to A Singular Destiny. I've really been enjoying all this post-destiny development. After I finish this one, its on to the first 3 Voyager Beyer books.

16. Thrawn

Oh man, are you in for a treat.

17. Paris

I just finished the latest KMFB Voyager outing, Acts of Contrition. It was fantastic. Next, I think i'll jump back into the DS9R with This Grey Spirit by Heather Jarman.

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading Maul: Lockdown. At first I didn't like it, but now I'm getting into it more. I hope it keeps improving as I go along. I'm really trying to cast Maul as the Maul we know from the Clone Wars, and that makes it pretty interesting.

19. Paris

I was going to jump into Heather Jarman's DS9: This Grey Spirit, but then I remembered that I had recently started Geoff Trowbridge's Myriad Universes story, The Chimes at Midnight, and decided to pick it up again. 2 chapters down so far, and quite liking it :)

20. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I read that a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Also recommended is the second novella in that collection by KRAD