What happened to...?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RobertScorpio, Oct 10, 2008.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

What scifi movie, good or bad (in the eye of the beholder of course) is begging for a sequel. They make sequels they shouldn't (Indy 5..Starship Troopers...Tremors...) and yet some movies are just left begging for a sequel. Perhaps its best the sequel never got made (refer to the movies I just listed) but is there one out there that you think needs a sequel? Especially if it were done right..(by you of course)

Rob
    Scorpio

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

"Serenity".

3. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Last Starfighter seemed ripe for a sequel as the main villian escaped at the end, the Frontier had fallen, and only a single Starfighter (Alex) remained alive to defend the Star League. The storytelling possibilities IMHO would've been numerous, however, I'm guessing that because it didn't do well at the box office they never followed up with it and now they probably can't since two of the actors have since passed away. I loved the movie as a kid and still enjoy it but feel somewhat disappointed that it ended up being a standalone.

Titan A.E. probably could've used a sequel as well because of its potential for generating new stories (new Earth) but, as with The Last Starfighter, it apparently didn't do well enough to merit one.

Serenity was a pretty good movie that could generate some additional stories although I never watched Firefly so I was a bit lost in terms of the overall storyline and characters.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Galaxy Quest.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    Abso-fraggen-lutely

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ It was so left open for a follow up. It's sad. They could start it with Galaxy Quest: TNG's cancellation and go from there.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    Only if they can get Ben Kingsley to play the pretentious sob actor of the new captain.

8. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

"I played LEAR for Chrissakes, and all these little twirps want to know is why, if my character is Lithuanian, do I speak with a British accent!"

The Andromeda Strain. (The original movie). It would be in a completely different realm outside the bio-complex, but I'd like to see where the microbe came from and if someone or some thing was monitoring it and its effect on the "earth creatures".

--Ted

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

New Line is still sitting on at least forty minutes of Golden Compass footage, including the ending. We need an extended dvd on that.

I'd like to see more Zorro, but while I liked a lot of Legend, I don't see how the character could continue beyond 1850. What with the Gold Rush and the massive influx of whites, no one'd be carrying swords anymore. The best course would be for a reboot based on Isabelle Allende's novel, like the musical that just opened in London's West End.

Nicholas Meyer's Sherlock Holmes novel The Seven-Per-Cent Solution should be remade, and not butcher the book this time.

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    ^I agree. Ironic though considering Nicholas Meyer wrote the screenplay. (Of course, it wouldn't be the first time an author's screenplay completely butchered their own novel. Ayn Rand's screenplay of The Fountainhead was absolute shite.)

Actually, I came up with an idea for this where the show doesn't get cancelled but all of the old cast members get fired and replaced with "younger, hipper" actors, led by an airhead Kevin Sorbo-type. This move ends up creating a youth rebellion on the alien planet where they think that the show is real.

I'd love to see Ben Affleck & Jon Favreau in Daredevil II.

A small part of me died when I realized that the cliffhanger at the end of Super Mario Bros. would never be resolved.:(

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to ask Meyer how he felt about having to screw over half his plot! The whole point of the book's villain was to highlight Freud's crime-fighting potential. The cartoonish movie Baron made no sense at all.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm surprised they haven't made a sequel to Independence day.

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

What would they call it? Thanksgiving?

14. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Dear God, that makes just enough sense for some suit in Hollywood to run with it!

*Mistral whips out his trusty El Marko and scribbles over Deckula's post*

Whew, that was close!:lol:

15. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree about a sequel, but not doing so because two of the actors died makes no sense. The part can either be recast or else written into the storyline.

Lance Guest is MUCH older these days :eek: Damn, I hate getting old and seeing all of the icons of my (80's) era having aged. :confused: I could have sworn there was a rumor of a sequel in the works.

16. Silvermane

Silvermane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always wanted to see Luke Skywalker as an old guy.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hasn't there been rumours knocking around about a sequel to the original Stargate movie being in the works? Just to be clear, I'm refering to a sequal with Russel, Spader and a total lack of anything SG1.

18. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

It would interesting to see how they explain Spader's, er ... "puffiness", compared to the original. Don't know if Spader is a "train for the part" kind of actor.

--Ted

19. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Actually there have been rumors of a lot of what you guys have mentioned.

Galaxy Quest II has been shopped around for ages, with a bunch of the folks from the first one being onboard. But the first one did so underwhelming at the box office that no one is willing to fund the sequel.

Independence Day II was tossed around back in the 90's, but became really alive after 9-11 when the writers tied their ID2 script into dealing with a massive tragedy ala 9-11.

After the Last Starfighter became an off-broadway play there was also talk of a movie sequel. I believe the idea is still floating around actively.

20. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. And I would like to see films of the other two books in the series. IMO, The Golden Compass suffered from the success of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. New Line thought they could capture some of that box office boon, so they dumped a bunch of money into a film that wouldn't have nearly as wide an appeal as LOTR. Then, since it didn't have such a great return on investment (duh, not every film can gross hundreds of millions), the other two films seem to be non-starters. Yet films like Starship Troopers get sequels. Go figure. :rolleyes: I guess it pays to have low expectations.

With pretty much the exact discussion above, I'd like to see the follow-ups to Eragon.