Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS version]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 7, 2009.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

As the title indicates, no spoilers here, please. All spoilers should be restricted to the other thread. :)

2. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS vers

It's hard to put together an opinion because I'm still taking it all in. It's definitely a movie that gives service to the fans, naturally TOS-centric. The movie stands very well on its own; I would take any non-Trek friend or family member confident that they would enjoy it. The cast is superb, good chemistry, great performance, and instantly enjoyable. My biggest complaint is that I can't see more! At least with the other movies we had years of episodes preceding, this movie got me really excited for seeing what is yet to come. Overall I think they did Roddenberry’s legacy justice.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Which just happens to point up an old show-biz axiom: always leave 'em wanting more.

I can appreciate that you need time to process it all, but once it's soaked in a bit more, there are (I suspect) a few people around who'd be interested in reading what you thought of it. :)

4. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I'll just post in the non-spoilers thread. It was a magnificent evening and a privilege. I sent a spoiler-free capsule review over to trekmovie. I'll let you guys know if it posts. I am delighted with the film and with the new directions in which it takes the Star Trek franchise.

5. WarMaster1701

WarMaster1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope this film is better than the Star Wars Prequels:devil:

6. tauntme

tauntme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can you post your review here?

7. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hah, absolutely! :D

8. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Sure. Here goes...

We were first in line for the standby, non-badgeholders. We waited in line since 4:30. Honestly we just wanted to see TWOK on the big screen. You've probably read the logistics of the event so here's my spoiler free review.

Some of the most emotionally poignant moments happen at the beginning of the film. There is no Star Trek camp at the outset, only tragedy. The film is different from any Star Trek I've ever seen. It is a different universe. When people die, they really die. There's no reset button in this film. Everything seems more real. An image of a casualty ejected into space lingers. The sets are detailed, and one corridor on Delta Vega stood out as the moment when I could suspend my disbelief and picture this facility on a far off world.

Greenwood and Cross were magnificent as Pike and Sarek. They were adults among adolescents. If I have any criticism about some of the performances, it would be that these men sometimes didn't act their age. On another level though, this was an origin story, and it was a superb introduction into these familiar characters. Part of the excitement was to be reacquainted with these people in a new way. The actors aren't the same. The story isn't the same. And the characters aren't the same.

The effects were breathtaking. The producers and writers constructed new sequences that never before would have been possible in a Trek film.

The plot was smart, and I was relieved that aside from some familiar disaster, arch-enemy tropes, the writers steered clear of some of the cheap gimmicks that made Star Trek films at times feel like matinee fare.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Nimoy. His Spock is the ultimate incarnation of this character. It is alone worth the price of admission to see him reprise this role and take Spock past "Unification" into a new universe.

All the familiar applause lines are there. Fans of cranky Bones and harried Scotty will not be disappointed. Kirk comes across a little thin at times, but Pine seems capable, and now that origins are dispensed with, I can imagine his progression into the iconic Captain Kirk. Young Spock nails pathos.

I am excited to witness this new chapter in Star Trek and can't wait to see it many more times. Nothing will quite recapture this evening though.

9. WarMaster1701

WarMaster1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

SD.net on suicide watch

10. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Location-wise is there a fair amount more to the movie than what we've seen in the trailers? Are there big sequences that they haven't shown in any trailer?

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Hang on, it's still running, isn't it? I'm typing this at 7.26pm Tuesday night, Sydney time.

What time did the movie run?

12. npsf3000

npsf3000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Could some of you who have seen the release put a estimate in the "What are your Box office Predictions for Star Trek? " thread... I figure that'll give us a good idea of the film :)

13. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the non-spoiler reviews! I am positively green with jealousy.

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know man...I've been reading the non-spoiler reviews here and at Trekmovie and I can't help it.
    I feel strange. Goosebumps,excitement, eagerness to see this movie...

Seriously, I don't think I've ever felt like this for a movie, before a movie in all my 24 years.

I'm not one to really trust reviews but I sure hope what I've read so far is right on the money.

Waiting for more non-spoiler stuff :)

And a question. What about the music ? How is it ?

15. cubbie

A spoiler free review at aintitcool

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How was Bana and Nero? Was Nero a decent villian and was Bana good in the movie?

17. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I was pretty excited to learn about what happened in Austin, Texas last night! Those lucky dawgs! :)

18. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

I gain a lot of hope for this because the Austin people went in to see TWOK, one of the most popular Treks, TV or movie, with the original actors and everything, got it switched for the reboot and still seem universally excited about it. I know if I paid to see my favorite Trek film on a big screen and got Nemesis instead, I would have been a little disappointed, premiere or not.

So that bodes well, I'd say.

19. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

J.J. Abrams thought he could pull it off, when this kind of publicity stunt never occured to Stuart Baird (and all the others behind him) back then in 2002...
    You really have to admire this guy's self-confidence, his faith in what he thinks he can accomplish. There seems to be a little hint of nuKirk in J.J. Abrams... or is it the other way around?

20. cubbie

This podcast review has some small spoilers, but reveals a lot about the excitement the crowd in Austen must have felt when shown the movie. Lots of f-bombs if you are listening at work.