Yea, finally back, and rewatching Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Hey, that's *your* job as #1 fan, Omaha! Rank may have privileges but it also has responsibilities. :p

Jan

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Ya know, it's been a while, but I don't know how I could have forgotten the "it's all about Jane" theory. :lol:

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

You say "theory" like it's an idea, and not solid, based on the on-screen facts. :p

4. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Believers"

I kinda remembered I didn't like this episode the first time I saw it, this time I really enjoyed the mature, vibrant way this handles it, and its still kinda shocking with the ending, kinda reminds me of a later episode where entire SPECIES is killed off. Including the cute kid.

B+

Considering that I have TKO and Grail coming up, I might do my first watch of "In the Beginning"

and Jane is Awesome.

Also, quick question, does anyone want me to do a silly running count?

5. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Please...NO!

Thank you so much.

Jan

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen it in awhile, but I believe this was the first (and possibly not last) episode where Franklin -really- annoyed me.

7. Distorted Humor

In the Beginning -

Ok, may be a shock, but this is the first time I saw this movie. Very cool, but I kinda liked Thirdspace better. (Egads, I know that has to be bad karma or something) but it is great, The space battle between the Darkstar and Lexington was suitably epic, and I loved how misunderstandings started the war. Franklin felt pasted on, but I loved the framing device of Londo telling a story. Where do they get all the actresses that look decent bald to play centauri<sp>? And everyone least fave telepath is a decent warrior class, but is no neroon.

A

8. Distorted Humor

ok - sorry for the boring reviews - but I have more episodes

"Survivors" - This one is surprisingly good, I really did not remember any of this episode the first play though, but on viewing, it not bad. It has action, it has Garibaldi doing the whole trope of man on the run, the guest stars are not hammy, and a plot to kill the president is a good way to get excitement. But not like they are going to kill the president or anything.

I had a good smile at the hologram knights fighting it out. Also its surprising after watching other episodes that Garibaldi just gives up drinking, not even a AA meeting to keep on on the path.

B+

"By Any Means Necessary" - Another decent episode. I not a union man, but I do enjoy some union drama (say Harlan County USA or season 2 of the wire) But the main plot is overshadowed by a plant. G'kar and Lando fighting it out over a plant in a personal spat is fun. Cute way to solve the problem, and while the union leader seems young and too cute to be the head of the Intersteller Longshoreman #b5. The anti-union guy was so over the top that it was laughable. Sometimes villains in Babylon 5 are really bad.

B- for the G'kar Londo bits.

Up next is a episode called "signs and portents", I heard it sucked.

Edit: I almost forgot, I was watching Survivors, and my female friend who insists that we are not dating walks by the TV just as a beat up Garibaldi all beat up, and she got excited as she thought Bruce Willis was on the show.

9. Transk53

Transk53 Lieutenant Red Shirt

For me that was a blinding episode. As an episode I thought it meshed all the different aspects really well. Well I enjoyed it and I hope you do. For me, it is one of the best S1 episodes.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure DH was being sarcastic.

11. Distorted Humor

Yes, I was being VERY VERY sarcastic, as "Signs and Portents" is the first truly great episode of Babylon 5.

12. Transk53

Do not know how the hell I missed that :p

13. Distorted Humor

Its ok, it hard to do sarcasm online, but I figured the "they are not going to kill the President or anything." line would get the sarcasm meter going.

Anyways, episodes!!!

"Signs and Portents" -

The first true classic episode. I mean, if you wanted something more, what do you want? :guffaw:

I will focus on thing I almost forgot - How bad Centarui hair is, and how bad the actual "eye" prop is. I mean, it looks like something that comes out of one of those "Claw" machines.

The actual plot as a lot going on. Raiders, Kosh being attacked by ???? (Leaving that blank for spoilers, but that makes so much more sense now once I know how it works) And I remember the first time the Crab showed up, I was like. :eek::eek::eek:

And it still a shocker.

A+

"TKO"

Following such a great episode, is this. It NOT as bad as I remembered it, as I forgot how nice the B-plot is of Susan getting over her father's death. As a aside, I really like how babylon 5 handle faith issues, I am of a religious nature, and I respect those who do not have faith as long as they respect faith, and RMS does.

The main plot line is trite, though on 2nd viewing I caught the "Watch your back" bits more. That and the fight themselves where for the time most likely a bit violent.

D

"Grail"

I hate this episode, Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate....

I think everyone gets this point. This theme is done a little better later on, however there needs to be a B-plot, and really, there is not. I do not mind the episodes that are self-contained, not every episode needs to have earth shattering consequences. However you need to do better then this. I like Grey 17 better then this.

F+ (the + is for special effects of the mind eating critter)

"Eyes" -

Jeffrey Combs is a great actor. His boss is stupidly angry however, and it really ruins a good idea, you can see someone grilling Sinclair (who I actually really like as a commander.) over his choices. Combs saves the episode from being TKO territory. The fact is that the "angry scar guy" ruins this episode from being ok.

D+

Anyways, Now I am out of the bad episodes of Season 1 if I recall correctly.

14. Transk53

Typo?

I liked "Grail" not because I am religious, but simply because I have the utmost respect for those that believe in things that the Universe cannot articulate. If one has a dream, fuck the conformists.

I liked "TKO" for the courage shown by Walker Smith. There was an overall agenda, but thatv ep showed that courage is forsaken by most.

15. Distorted Humor

Opps, JMS!!!

Thanks for catching it. Grail I like the space monster, but it felt like a RPG gaming session more then a TV episode.

Player 1: I am going to play a crazy guy who searching the for the grail.
    Player 2: I am going to play a crazy guy who thinks he can't leave the station, or it will blow up or disappear.
    Player 3: Yea, I will play the chief of security, he will be a cross between Bruce Willis and Garris from Mass Effect.

Game Master: ok, now how do I add this with a mind sucking creature.....himmm

Picks up script book for Grail....

:devil:

16. Transk53

Never played Mass Effect, but Bruce, that would be cool.

17. Distorted Humor

Just have to add, Holy crap the end of season 1 is some great episodes back to back to back.

"Legacies"-> "Chrysalis" is some great stuff. Will be watching tomorrow. :bolian:

18. Distorted Humor

"Legacies" - Ahhh, this is a good episode, but only on rewatching.

The first time I saw it I didn't think much of it, after all, it was just a random Angry warrior caste dude with a surprising ending. (I had thought that the body was never there as a twist.

But turns out the "Random angry warrior dude" is actually a important bad-ass, and it is tightly written. Neroon rocks, but you only start to see bits here. And on rewatching the B-plot becomes important for one thing - the fact that Susan and Talia are smoothing over problems.

B- on plot, B+ due to important things that are not apparent till later.

Voice in the Wilderness Part 1 and II

"What the hell?"

The first half is very good, and I must add this.

The Mars issue in Babylon 5 is something that is dear to me, they somehow did Mars right on Babylon 5, and I love EVERY bit of Mars. Curious, how much of a delay was it between Part 1 and part 2 on first showing (or was it a special 2 hour block) as I wonder how long people had to wonder what was coming though the Jumpgate.

Turns out, it is Ron Canada, who happens to be in one of my fave movies of all time (Lonestar with Chris Cooper) and the guy can act. Though he is given the "dumb human officer role." with a bad case of testosterone poisoning.

The major issue is this - it is obvious that Draal<sp> will be taking the great machine role. Though I will say that I would have no idea on Sinclair's role was. And Also we get to meet Lise, all in all a solid two part episode.

B+

19. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just a week between the two parts.

20. Distorted Humor

Thanks - I remember catching a bit of it on TV when it first aired, and thought it was really cool the alien ship split into three for combat. You know, thats what 14 years old like in SF series. :p