RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,723
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 770
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 15 2014, 03:08 PM   #931
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't recall her ever saying she hated her mother before this story, but either way it was all just him playing mind games again. I don't care if he tried to calm her down afterward, he was obviously finally telling her what he actually thought of her. It wasn't just to take down some moronic forcefield powered by trust (which is a stupid idea even from a series that gave us a robot made of candy).

The Ace Time Lord thing is weird because I don't think you can just become a Time Lord. As far as I know there were never non-gallifreyan Time Lords. I think River Song somehow got Time Lord biology (two hearts, etc) by being born on the TARDIS so it made sense with her, but Ace was an average human. I don't think you can just "learn" to be a Time Lord.

Then again, from what I've read if the show had continued it would have been revealed that Time Lords were born from a loom. This was supposed to make The Doctor more "mysterious", and of course it would be an excuse to finally remove Susan as an actual relative, since a bunch of writers over the years seemed to loathe the idea that the Doctor would ever have sex or kids I'm pretty sure the writers/people in charge of McCoy's era were completely out of their mind, and very definitely horrible writers. I'm glad the show was killed before the "cartmel masterplan" got on TV, and that new Doctor Who was able to completely ignore it.

In the end, its just my opinion. I hate the 7th, and I think he was a psychopath devoid of compassion or the ability to care about people. But I'm finally done with him. I can go back to watching all the other Doctors, who happen to be generally good people and not evil a-holes.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2014, 09:31 PM   #932
starsuperion
Captain

greatest classic Troughton episode, that was recreated..and new found episodes added..

ENEMY OF THE WORLD! I highly recommend it!!
Old April 16 2014, 08:56 PM   #933
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

So, before getting back to the 4th Doctor, I decided that I'd watch the next 3rd Doctor story I needed to see, The Ambassadors of Death. This was a horrible idea. The premise wasn't bad, and when it did plot important stuff it was decent, but being seven episodes killed the story. It became really tedious, and there was a lot of padding. The Doctor, Liz and the Brigadier were good, but it just went on way too long. I'm just glad that, whenever I get to Inferno, I'll finally be done with 7 episode stories. Well, after that sidetrack in Doctor Who viewing, the next story I watch will definately be the 4th Doctor story The Face of Death.
Old April 16 2014, 10:20 PM   #934
starsuperion
Captain

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
So, before getting back to the 4th Doctor, I decided that I'd watch the next 3rd Doctor story I needed to see, The Ambassadors of Death. This was a horrible idea. The premise wasn't bad, and when it did plot important stuff it was decent, but being seven episodes killed the story. It became really tedious, and there was a lot of padding. The Doctor, Liz and the Brigadier were good, but it just went on way too long. I'm just glad that, whenever I get to Inferno, I'll finally be done with 7 episode stories. Well, after that sidetrack in Doctor Who viewing, the next story I watch will definately be the 4th Doctor story The Face of Death.

Inferno is a really great story. I enjoyed it immensely..not to mention that as far as mirror universes go, it gave me that impression that someday the series could go back and touch base on that universe. I would love to see the Master from Inferno's universe Teaming up with the Doctor of this universe to fight an evil version of the Doctor, that would be amazingly cool!
Old April 16 2014, 10:41 PM   #935
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Face of Evil.

I liked Inferno, and it's one of the few stories that had a personal impact on the Doctor in later stories (ie. he had flashbacks about it).

starsuperion wrote: View Post
Inferno is a really great story. I enjoyed it immensely..not to mention that as far as mirror universes go, it gave me that impression that someday the series could go back and touch base on that universe. I would love to see the Master from Inferno's universe Teaming up with the Doctor of this universe to fight an evil version of the Doctor, that would be amazingly cool!
There wasn't a mirror-Doctor in Inferno, though.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM   #936
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Face of Evil.

I liked Inferno, and it's one of the few stories that had a personal impact on the Doctor in later stories (ie. he had flashbacks about it).
I mistyped (which is stupid because I didn't make the mistake the several other posts where I mentioned it). I guess Ambassadoirs of Death was still distracting me . I've heard good things about Inferno, and I'll definitely watch it. I just feel like getting back to the 4th, and after Ambassadors of Death I'm not quite up for another 7 parter so soon.

Last edited by kirk55555; Yesterday at 12:34 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #937
diankra
Commodore

Ambassadors is a salvage job; David Whitaker wrote a Troughton story - possibly a semi-sequel to Enemy of the World, it got knocked back, Malcolm Hulke ended up writing a new story that used some of Whitaker's attempt to rewrite it for UNIT.
Actually I quite like it. But it's a bit of a mess as well.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:39 AM   #938
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The Face of Evil was a good serial. It was interesting to see the primitive tribe react to the Doctor as"the evil one". Leela was interesting, and she seems like she'll be a good companion. The computer was creepy when it was yelling at the Doctor using his own voice which shifted to a kids voice. The Doctor's appearance in the story was a bit weird. When he first leaves the tARDIS, he turns to the camera and starts talking to it. Maybe he was supposed to be talking to itself, but it was still unusual. Next up will be The Robots of Death.
Old Today, 12:50 AM   #939
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

It's good to hear you enjoyed it. And you're in for a treat; Robots of Death is one of the best of the Tom Baker stories.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #940
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Robots of Death is great. And, yea, I really like Leela's Introduction. Matter of fact, I enjoy all of Leela's stories, I think there's only one story that's well-panned, and another some people take alot of points off for offensive stereotyping (Though, others think it's the best story of Leela's Run).

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote