A Nightmare on Elm Street trailer (Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

MySpace Trailer Park

As of this post, it's the feature trailer at MySpace Trailer Park, but if they move it you'll have to do some quick digging to find it.

Also starring Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker, Clancy Brown, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara and Connie Britton.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, that looked pretty much the same as all the other Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

My thoughts exactly.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Rorschach vs. Ruby? Interesting. :D

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm curious to see Haley as Freddy, but that's about the most of it. Looks like a pretty standard remake, which is to say it doesn't look like much of anything at all.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Disappointing. Other than the slightly more realistic make-up on Freddy and the disturbing scenes of him being trapped in the warehouse where he'll be burned to death, this showed nothing new. Maybe JEH's voice. But as has been said, it could have been any of the Nightmare movies.

Though at least it seemed to be one of the earlier ones before Freddy just became a wise-cracker.

7. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, did they really need to bring back the red and green sweater and fedora? I was hoping for whole new look for Freddy. Something a lot less campy and played out.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it looks very slick. Of course it's being produced by Michael Bay so a stylistically polished movie is not to be unexpected. I recall several moments from the original film. I do hope this remake adds something new. I have read they're attempting to make Freddy less of a wise cracking one-liner hokey type of villain and actually someone who is unhinged and, y'know, scary, so I'm looking forward to this if just for that. Plus Freddy is a much more cerebral horror villain than Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees, more akin to Hannibal Lecter, which is why I always liked him. He has much more potential than the others to be equally horrifying and interesting.

10. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, basically, how he was in the original ANOES movie.

11. JacksonArcher

^Pretty much. I'm interested to see what they do new with it, like I said. It's Jackie Earl Haley so it should be fun.

12. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    it only took the first line from that poem to bring it all back to me....
    gotta love freddie....
    or else...

1 - 2 - freddy's coming for you

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

As other have stated, it looks very standard. I also predict that it'll get rotten reviews.

That being said, even though I am not a big horror fan, I'll probably check it out because part of the movie was filmed at the high school I went to.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  14. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I'll give it a miss.

The series never did much for me. It was far too cheesy for my tastes. In fact, last Halloween, I watched the original for the first time since it came out and my roomie and I just howled with laughter.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

MEH. I was looking forward to this...now that I've seen the trailer I'll pass and maybe catch it on DVD. I'm a fan of the originals up to V but ugh.

16. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll agree that the trailer didn't exactly blow me away, but I'm still interested to see it. I'm a fan of the original films, for the most part, so I'm interested too see what they do with the source material and which parts they've lifted from the various sequels. Also, after seeing Watchmen, I'm looking forward to seeing whay Haley brings to the role.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I practically grew up with the original films (though I probably shouldn't have, given the 18 certificate ;)) so I don't think I'd be able to give this new one a fair hearing. To me, Robert Englund will always be Freddy.

Having said that, based on this trailer (not the best way to judge a film, I know) it looks as though they might have added the twist that Freddy wasn't actually a child killer in life, but an innocent man lynched for something he didn't do.

I suppose it adds a little more dimension to the character if he's a tortured soul out for vengeance...but I'm not sure. Making Freddy a tragic character sort of takes away from the idea that he's evil incarnate, an unstoppable force that even death couldn't hold.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I think it looks pretty great, actually.

19. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Looks fun. I enjoyed what they did with "Friday the 13th" so it'll be worth a watch in my book.

20. JacksonArcher

Thank you.