FOX: Sleepy Hollow - Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gryffindorian, Aug 3, 2015.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, it looks like the cute historian will be sticking around to help with having the Archive declared a historic site (I love that sub-plot), and to be a love interest. And Ichabod will be going for his citizenship-- appropriate, since he is a Founding Father. I'm a happy camper. :bolian:

I'm wondering if the Anubis Shard and Pandora plots will come together at some point, too, since we don't really know what Pandora is up to. This episode had quite a climax, with Ichabod getting stabbed almost fatally by Jack the Ripper-- and that was quite a maneuver, injecting himself with the malaria-infected blood, since he knew he was immune. The day is saved by an interesting Revolutionary War factoid. :rommie:

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't decide if this season is an improvement or not over last year... It was time for Henry and Catrina to go, but I'm not really feeling Pandora as a villain so far.

3. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I think it's too early to judge Pandora as a villain yet, I just hope they give her a more intersting motivation than just being evil for evil's sake.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i feel the same way. i keep thinking it may get better. its only been three episodes.

5. RJDiogenes

I definitely think it's better. Not that I hated last year. But things seem a bit snappier so far this year.

6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I am REALLY liking this season so far... and that includes one scary arsed Tooth Fairy! :bolian: :evil: :bolian:

7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

The abyzou looked like a freaky female contortionist; it reminded me of the creature from Mama.

Did Crane meet Betsy Ross before or after Katrina? I'm guessing before, since he did not live long enough to see his son Henry's birth.

8. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't call him that; he prefers to be called the Great Red Dragon.*

I tried to give the actress playing Betsy Ross a fair shake, but she is really lousy. Very attractive, but she can't act worth a damn. It doesn't help that the character keeps getting shoe-horned into stories for no reason and fits sort of awkwardly into Crane's personal history as I understand it.

*Sorry. Hannibal reference. I still miss that show.:(

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly sure no one said "Go with it" in 1770-something, then made out in public.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This was the most effective monster we've had in a long time. Really creepy and bizarre. Evidently they got a contortionist to play the creature, and the whole upside-down crabwalking thing was really eerie.

I have the same problem. When was this stuff happening? Wasn't Katrina the one who got him to switch sides in the first place? So this would have to be after he met Katrina but before he married her. Which kind of undermines the whole "love of his life" narrative from the first two seasons.

Yeah... that does seem like a modern phrase, though my quick attempt to track down its origins didn't bear much fruit.

11. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well he was having that memory while under the influence of the sleeping gas at the demist...so it could have been distorted a bit.

12. Saga

the tooth fairy was really creepy. (and i half expected Christopher to give us the real history of that concept :p)

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hey, I don't know everything. Never bothered to look into that one.

Well, until now, since you got me curious. Wikipedia says that the mythology of an actual tooth fairy originated no sooner than the early 20th century, although the custom of paying children for teeth is documented as far back as the Norse Eddas. Nothing Sumerian or whatever.

14. Saga

interesting. i'm surprised the show didn't opt for the whole 'burning of baby teeth to prevent hardship in the afterlife' notion.

15. RJDiogenes

This was a nice episode, with a good, creepy monster. I loved Paul Revere's secret weapon. "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts." :rommie:

I got a kick out of Jenny already having found their father five years ago. And even though the cute historian didn't make an appearance, she made her presence known with constant flirtatious texting. I was also amused by the conversation between Ichabod and Corbin. "You're overthinking it." "As is my way."

That jumped out at me as well. I don't really know if that's a phrase that would have rolled trippingly off the tongue of a Colonial, and there doesn't seem to be an online etymology, but you'd be surprised at how old some seemingly contemporary slang really is. And Colonials weren't necessarily as sexually repressed as the history books (written by later generations who really were sexually repressed) would have us believe-- although I did notice that there didn't seem to be any tongue action going on. The writers generally seem to do pretty good research with their dialogue and Revolutionary War factoids, so I'm willing to go along with it.

That's a good thought.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Don't forget the cross over with Bones is this week.

17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Damn so soon, I want to watch that. I haven't seen an episode yet, they are sitting on my DVR. So it looks like I will need to catch up sometime soon.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I actually rather dreading this. I just hope it's not as horrible as I fear it will be.