7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

55.2%
  2. Good

32.8%
  3. Average

8.6%
  4. Save us!

2.3%
  5. Exterminate!!

1.1%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We saw some really awful cgi depicting the destruction of Skaro, but the Master was tried and executed by the Daleks on Skaro in the movie with 8 (, 7 and 8.)... So it had already been reconstituted before the Time War.

I was wondering, even before the new series started why all life in the 6 galaxies surrounding Skaro had been demolished at some point before the Skaroans had the technology to explore those 6 galaxies completely, as if some one decided the Skaros should not be infected with any hippy alien ideology before they evolved into Daleks.

2. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Well, about next week. Assuming everyone saw the teaser. Looking back at the end of the first season. After the wedding.

Rory "You just saved the whole of space and time, take the evening off. Maybe a bit of tomorrow.

Doctor "Space and Time isn't safe yet. The TARDIS exploded for a reason. Something drew the TARDIS to this particular date,(Phone ringing) and blew it up. (Phone still ringing) Why, and why now? The Silence, whatever it is it's still out there, and I have to...excuse me a moment. (Answers the phone) Hello? Oh! Hello. I'm sorry this is a very bad line. No no no, but that's not possible. She was sealed into the seventh obelisk, I was at the prayer meeting.....Well no, I get that it's important, an Egyptian goddess loose on the Orient Express..........In space.

Coincidence or tease?

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And only (legitimately) available in America. Let's hope that was funded by BBC America and not out of people's Licence Fee money...

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

So, the Dalek Parliament...

- A Prime Minister of sorts living in a basic glass case, not on the grand scale of the Emperor.

- The Supreme Dalek acts as the deputy Prime Minister.

- The Strategist (blue) Dalek is present, and appears to be the only one, standing near the Prime Minister.

- At least six maroon Daleks protect the trio; couldn't see them anywhere else in the chamber.

- A handful of red Daleks are dotted around the chamber. This could be the Drone Dalek and possibly clones, or some other group/rank entirely.

- No sign of Eternal or Scientist Daleks, the latter of which was deconstructed to appear as a munted Dalek in The Big Bang (but then again so was Strategist Dalek).

5. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was it actually a Headless monk, or just someone with a deep voice and a hooded robe. Darla herself was wearing something similar when she first met the Doctor.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thats brilliant!!

Yeah, one who just did a little bit of modelling, briefly, early on. It annoys me when people call her a model who became an actress 'cos clearly it's not the case. Although obviously she's played a model now in several things, both as Amy and Jean Shrimpton.

I think she's a good actress...I also quite like it when she folds her arms and looks sly ;)

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't see the BBC America logo at the end, so I'd venture not.

8. StCoop

It's on UK iTunes now.

Though anyone outside those two countries will still have to acquire it "elsewhere".

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is a pity, because if the BBC allowed me to give them some of my hard-earned money, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. They don't, for some reason, and I'm forced to watch the show for free. Of course I end up buying the DVD box sets, so my conscience is clear anyway.

11. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

It also took me awhile to see the old Daleks on first viewing; the only ones I saw were the Special Weapons Dalek, the Remembrance Dalek Supreme, and the Classic White & Blue Dalek. I noticed few more Classic Daleks on rewatching; it's just harder to see them (especially the darker-colored Daleks from the Davros stories).

I think most of the Daleks in the foreground were dirty RTD Daleks. The one which the Doctor blew up looked like an RTD Dalek modified to look like a Davros-era Dalek. I think we also saw the black RTD Dalek from behind.

ETA: All of the Daleks in Intensive Care also appear to be repainted RTD Daleks.

I figured that the Daleks shoved her in there when it became obvious that her conversion hadn't gone well and she was fighting the them. After that is when her mind collapsed in and she started dreaming.

12. StCoop

AI of 89 for the episode, which puts it up in the top tier of Moffat's run to date. For me at least, once I overlook his typically bizarre gender-issues with the Pond's marrage situation (ever hear of adoption Amy, or talking to your husband at some point before you think you're on the verge of becoming a Dalek?), this was by far his best script since he took over.

13. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

well, if you have an ipad, then you can subscribe to iPlayer for about $10 a month, I think.

14. Turbo

Except, of course, in the USA, because the cable companies told the Beeb flat-out that they will drop BBC America if iPlayer is introduced here.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why does everyone have a hard time with Skaro being around? The Daleks themselves have survived extinction about a dozen times, why can't their homeworld survive destruction?

Coincidence. The phone call wasn't part of the script, just something Matt Smith thought up on the day of filming.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah adoption is surely an option, although some people wouldn't counternance it, would only want their own child, but still there are solutions to infertility that don't involve jacking your marriage in (hell surrogacy even!)

I'll let Amy not talking slide though, it's perfectly in character. Amy doesn't talk things over, she runs away from them or jumps in without thinking. Besides if they talked Rory would have only said "No really it's fine," and Amy would have thought "Och you're just saying that."

17. Turbo

Agreed. It's even possible that the Daleks had been able to protect Skaro well enough that the supernova in Remembrance of the Daleks simply devastated the surface and ruined the planet instead of destroying it (perhaps with a shield similar to the one used on the Asylum).

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Why can't the Doctor just have traveled to a period before Skaro was destroyed?

Or is that the Time War erased Time Lords and Daleks from all existence at all periods of time. Is that why they said only the higher level beings were only aware it ever happened, because the Moment ret-conned Daleks and Time Lords out of history?

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Time Lords are of course cut-off because of the Time Lock. Presumably, the same is true of pre-Time War Skaro. And besides, the New Paradigm stated they were going to Skaro in Victory of the Daleks so we know already it exists again. I see no reason to assume that Skaro as seen in Asylum was pre-Time War.

20. Turbo

Really? Don't remember that; I thought they were just escaping via time corridor.