DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Oh, sorry, that's why I replied with "or trademark". The original point of my post still stands.:rolleyes:

But go ahead, keep being pedantic. It's really informative to the thread.

2. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Well some of the problems with keeping Bats & GL continuity partially in tact while completely rebooting everybody else aren't necessarily time related but rather that some plot points were built upon past, pre-New 52 continuity.

For example, in New 52 continuity, GL has stated that the Blackest Night still happened. But if you remember, a fair amount of that story relied on several previously established deaths/resurrections (like GA, WW, Supes, Bart Allen) that haven't happened in New 52 continuity.

It's not a huge deal. You just have to imagine that Blackest Night happened somewhat differently in New 52 than the way he had originally read it.

But that is really how the continuity problems originally started after the first Crisis (e.g. Wonder Woman was rebooted after Crisis but not Teen Titans so Donna Troy's Wonder Girl predated WW which led to a whole mess).

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^
    But other than having a bunch of Robins, I don't really see where any of this has led to a problem in the new continuity? Starfire may have once had an affair with Dick Grayson (did she?) but they were never in the Teen Titans together.

Even the Robin issue could have been fixed if the editors had just made Batman around for ten years instead of five or six.

4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

So I heard through the grapevine that they're planning to add Supergirl to the Red Lantern Corps, on however temporary terms that may be. Honestly, I'm probably not going to keep up with much of the current Lantern stuff. I can't accurately judge how things are working with Guy being a more permanent Red Lantern, but I think he works better in green personally. Maybe I'm just old fashioned though. :p

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

They won't be pleased until everyone has had a turn at being some shade of a lantern will they?

6. Unicron

Possibly not, and that's one aspect that is a big turnoff to me. I don't mind when Guy went red in some of the GLC-centered arcs (Blackest Night and War of the Green Lanterns specifically) and I think those were very well handled, but I'm not sure I like him being defined by his rage to the exclusion of his good points, or that RL Guy is going to take over police duties for 2814 (or at least try to, over Hal's objections :D). I think the various Lantern corps only work when they have solid writing and aren't pure gimmicks.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the Robins being squeezed into five years gives me a head ache. but some of the Green Lantern stuff does to. like what about Cyborg Superman. this character exists due to the Death and Return of Superman story. he's all wrapped up in GL stories too. he was there when Coast City was destroyed. he ran around with the Manhunters. is a member of the Sinestro Corps. but in New 52 continuity he's not even Hank Henshaw. so how does that work? are there two Cyborg Supermen or did the Zor El version take Hank's place for pre-Flashpoint events.

8. theenglish

You just need to treat it the same way as past events are treated after any other reboot. At some point in the past there was the Sinestro Corps wars and a bunch of other stuff but it only remotely resembles the events as seen in previous comics. Has there even been a reference to Coast City being destroyed yet? Superman might have died and come back but there was never a Reign of the Supermen as far as we know, nor was there ever the Doomsday monster.

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yes, Coast City's destruction was referenced at the very least in Green Lantern #20. I think Cyborg Superman may even have appeared in a panel or two of flashback.

10. Unicron

So this incarnation isn't Hank, though? I knew they were planning to do a N52 version of the Cyborg but don't know a lot of other details yet. I'm inclined to agree with Praetor_Shinzon, though, and would prefer the Hank version. I like how his connection with the destruction of Coast City allowed him to transition into being a GLC enemy as well as a Superman foe, and I think they drove home very well how his nihilism makes him a scary villain.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Post New 52 The Cyborg Superman "was" Zor-El, Jor-El's brother, Supergirl's father, made so by Brainiac, but he's had surgery to reverse the proccess and become Zor-El again.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That only lasted for on issue of Supergirl, didn't it?

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman #25 was excellent again, and I really liked the guest artist work.

14. Unicron

Having read up on that version now, I have a better context. Actually, I giggled when I saw certain pics in his gallery over at ComicVine. :rommie: It seems a lot of fans aren't pleased with the N52 version of Supergirl, feeling she's generally too aggressive. I can't judge since I haven't read any of the relevant material.

15. theenglish

Can't seem to find it, but I believe you. The whole Parallax thing played a major role in the story anyway...

16. Saga

i've always liked Supergirl but i gave up on the current volume after the Silver Banshee issues. i've been meaning to catch up and see if it got better.

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^No it really did not.

18. theenglish

I liked the take on her character that I saw while reading H'El on Earth. She is aggressive but there is reason behind it.

19. Saga

i have all those H'El on Earth issues i just haven't got around to reading em yet.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gave up on New 52 Supergirl after the opening arc.