So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Later tonight I plan on starting the e-book of Buffy The Vampire Slayer S8V3: Wolves at the Gate. It's been a while since I read the last collection, so I'm looking forward to getting back to the series.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd love some more in the same vein...

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just recently got back into TrekLit after many years, so I have a lot of catching up to do. I decided to start with TNG: A Time To Be Born, which I'm enjoying quite a lot.

4. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I just started Vulcan's Glory by DC Fontana.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I just reread that recently.

Funny thing: Fontana establishes that a young Montgomery Scott also served aboard Pike's Enterprise, a fact that, as far as I know, has been conspicuously ignored by every subsequent Pike novel.

Wonder why?

6. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's been clamor on this board for an AOTF2, but I think it was said that it wasn't likely in the cards.
    Hah, me too...read all the things! (I have been putting off a friend's non-Trek novel for a while because I wanted more TrekLit...)

7. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I'm not sure why, either...

I've thought of Scotty's presence during Pike's era as being "true" ever since reading that novel and I'd generally be inclined to defer to one of the main TOS writers on such a point, especially when there hasn't been any subsequent canon to contradict it.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I suppose it can be argued that it's a little odd that this never came up in "The Menagerie," since you'd think Scotty would express some concern for his former captain. But is there anything else in Scotty's backstory that would preclude him serving under Pike?

9. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Y'know, I only just started reading the book for the first time and I don't know if there's something in the book stating that Scotty would be serving on the Enterprise for the remainder of his career, but I don't see how Scotty couldn't be on Pike's Enterprise, get transferred/promoted to another ship, but always retain that affinity for the Enterprise to such a degree that he requested a transfer back to the Enterprise under Kirk for his next promotion.

10. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I finished the 'Double Helix' stories and got the entertainment I desired out of it. The only things that bothered me were the multiple warp core 'breeches' in the second to last story (I didn't know warp cores wore pants!) and the apparent fact that the Bajoran wormhole now leads to the Delta quadrant. Minor editing errors aside, it was a good series of connecting stories.

11. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

I finally read and review The Joy Machine by James Gunn which is based on one of Theodore Sturgeon's TOS Episode outlines.

I have to admit that the novel felt rather padded out which did effect the pacing but it was still an okay story.

If anyone wants to read my review they can catch it here

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading Star Trek TOS Foul deeds will rise by Greg Cox. A fantastic read.:techman: I'm re-reading Titan Orion's Hounds by Christopher L. Benett.

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm currently reading TOS: Foul Deeds Will Rise and DS9: Section 31 - Abyss. I'm really enjoying both.

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.
    I'm now reading Star Trek: Foul Deeds Will Rise by Greg Cox.

16. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

You provided your own answer, Greg -- the events of "The Menagerie." If Scotty served under Pike at the time that "The Cage" took place, then he would've been involved in the trial in far greater depth. He would've been called to testify. Instead, everything in the episode indicates that Spock is the only person who was on the Enterprise at that time who's still at the post.

It's been ignored by subsequent Pike novels because it doesn't make any sense and never did.....

17. Etoile

Lilith's Brood is actually a single-book reprint of the entire trilogy. Originally compiled as Xenogenesis, it's really three books - Dawn, Adulthood Rites, and Imago. So that explains why it's so long - you're reading three novels in one. :)

18. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I've finished the Vampire Diaries series and am back to 41 by George W. Bush.

19. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading "The Masked Empire" by Patrick Weekes at the moment.

Enjoying it so far.

20. Etoile

Just finished Articles of the Federation and am now reading Charisma +1 by Jessica Brawner, which is short. Will probably jump to Troublesome Minds by Dave Galanter next.