July Challenge Entry--A Stone's Throw Away

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Nerys Ghemor, Jul 10, 2009.

1. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about writing in the Abramsverse? There's a whole new continuity there.

2. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    That's an good notion actually. (And I think NG has already touch upon it)
    I do have my own ideas for the new time line, but give the rate at which I write it may be some time before they come to fruition.

I also own a huge apology to Neryrs Ghemor for not commenting on this fine piece of writing. The way that you have managed to capture the dichotomy of duty to the state (either willingly or coerced) and to the family is a testament to your impeccable skills as an author.
    I believe that it was once said by one of our most famous poets that there are times that try men's souls, I think that for Berat this was one of those make or break times in his short life.
    It definitely makes Gul Tyben Berat one of the most inspirational Cardassians in the trekverse.

Finally I want to join the chorus urging you to write the next great Cardassian novel.:bolian:

3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would also like to say, that given your superb writing skills, you could easily create a quasi-reptilian world/universe of your own for a new original science fiction series. Who says it has to be based on humans?

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the problem I would have...there are already Trek XI books written and that will be coming to press soon. :( And where I picture the Abramsverse going is very specific. So I would still rather not go professional.

Sorry, Thor, but you can't claim credit for that "poet's quote." That would be American revolutionary Thomas Paine. Nice try, though, Mr. Brit. :p ;)

And thank you very much for reading...I'm glad you liked it. Berat's one of those characters that even in the bad times, I really enjoy writing because I can almost feel his strength as I do so. There's always this sense of "this COULD have broken him..." But it doesn't.

LOL, well, I'd always be feeling like they're Cardassians in disguise! And goodness knows I've got quite the attachment to that grey-scaled species! :lol:

5. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Ah my dear Nerys Ghemor, I think we're both right. For you see although Thomas Paine was a revolutionary (and one of the highest caliber) he was a Brit, just a very forward thinking one who rejected the reactionary ruling class of his native land.

And he wasn't the only one there were numinous riots againist the regime and massive support for both the American and French revolutions.
    In fact Mr Paine was voted one of the greatest Britons a few years ago.

So in summation he was a limey revolutionary who played a key role in the American revoultion and we all love him for that.

6. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, you may be able to write a parallel universe story in an anthology...

And wonderful, wonderful story NG.

7. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Excellent story! Poignant and very well-written.

8. Nerys Ghemor

Thank you much for reading. :)

9. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

You have a way with words, and with Cardassians. Superb. I look forward to reading more. One day I may even work up the nerve to try a fan fic of my own. I like to write. I've just always been very leery of writing already established characters or worlds, because people have definite ideas about who someone is or how something is. Nonetheless, you're quite the inspiration with your craft.

10. Nerys Ghemor

You should give it a try someday. :)

And thank you very much for your kind words, and for reading! :)

(Berat, however, was originally established in the novel Betrayal, so I can't take full credit for him. What happens to him after that novel, though--that's mine.)

11. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not usually that into Cardassian stories, but this was incredible. Quality writing, to say the least.

12. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not try it out? After all, worst-case scenario, if you get some characters wrong, you can always learn from the comments of the critics, so you can sharpen your skills, and improve....

13. PSGarak

Excellent point. It also seems that here at least, the criticism would be coming from the point of view of those who care enough about the characters to see it done well, rather than just the general, "U sux0rz!!11!1one!!" that you often see on the internet. :bolian:

14. Nerys Ghemor

Thank you. I am very honored to know I got you to step out of your comfort zone. :)

15. PSGarak

I just finished what you have written of "The Thirteenth Order". Has me on the edge of my seat, and I can't wait to see what happens next! Amazing!

16. Nerys Ghemor

Cool! :)

And I very much look forward to when you get PM, so we can talk about it in greater depth. :)

17. PSGarak

The two week thing is killing me. :p I've made an avatar. It's shiny and new and just waiting, and yes, I want PM's! I also left you a review on the site. I think I have just 5 more days before they decide I'm really not a bot. :borg: