Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Creative mode is good for just goofing off, and especially playing with complicated redstone circuits and building large creations just for the hell of it. It's a lot more fun to build a large frivolous contraption when you don't have to dig for hours to get all the prerequisite materials, and also worry about managing your hunger bar and being sure to go to sleep before anything nasty spawns in and murders you.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I have to admit, outside of the performance issues, I'm really loving what they've done so far. I spent a good half hour just exploring a real ocean, not the ponds we had earlier, then rode upriver for even longer. The biomes make some sort of sense now, there's more of them, and now villages that I'm constantly on the lookout for.

Side note: Anyone else seen the black wolf?

4. Cutter John

*sigh* Now theres a Pre-Release 3, with lots of new alchemy items, and baby animals. Also a mysterious pool of strange black stuff on the ground (Quick, throw Cmdr Riker into it!)

I wish they'd just release 1.9 already!

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I like that they're doing the pre-releases now, instead of dumping an unfinished mess out there as a "production" release. :p

And there should be one more pre-release for 1.9, then the real deal. As far as I understand it, they planned to do four pre-releases, then do only bugfixes to get 1.9 out. After that, obviously, they start working on 1.10.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That appears to be a part of some new form of portal that you can only find in strongholds. The thing is that nobody knows how to activate it or where it goes. Smart money is on those skylands that Notch showed off months ago.

Also, I know that the baby animal sounds are just sped up versions of the regular sounds, but they're unbearably adorable. Simon from the Yogscast is going to squeal so loud that dogs will be barking two towns over.

7. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, my money's on skylands. Good complement to the Nether, I think, although they should have some special feature like the fast-travel properties of the Nether, rather than just be the normal world but way up in the sky. :p

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Almost sounds like the monolith in 2001 :lol:

9. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

The enchantment table's kinda weird. It's like I'm in some game about Scrolls for Elders or something....

The random glass tower's are funny, it's like playing on the same savegame as my kid (he does that all the time). The dungeons are really neat though.

10. Robert Maxwell

I thought the glass towers were found to be debugging code to mark out where the strongholds are? That's what I've heard, anyway. They shouldn't be in the real deal.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Robert Maxwell

OH MY GOD DRAGONS

13. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

OMG OMG OMG!! :scream:

14. Cutter John

15. Owain Taggart

If we could tame them and ride them, that'd be cool :)

16. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

^^ Yes. Do want. DO WANT.

17. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

they seem kinda cute, might need a fire hose if they breath fire though

18. Cutter John

No kidding. Proper big, scary dragons. Notch has been whining on his Twitter about what a pain coloring them's gonna be. The texturepack community is either cheering or crying right about now. :)

19. Owain Taggart

I don't know if it's just me, but with the new lighting system, depending on where you place the torches, sometimes they'll give off a bluish glow rather than a warm yellow glow.

20. Robert Maxwell

I've only seen it happen momentarily right after I break down a torch (or a block with a torch on it.) As far as I've seen, torch light is always yellow. It does seem dimmer than it used to be, though--and sunlight seems brighter.

Love the sunset/sunrise and night illumination, though!