Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

I didn't intend any sarcasm, which is why I asked what you meant. I wanted to be clear on what you were saying. True, lazy writing can be the bane of a great film, but I don't think that will happen, not with a writer like Kate Dippold. I want scary and funny, just like the original GB, and I still think that's what we'll get.

As for Asylum films, yeah, they're the lowest common denominator. Their version of War of the Worlds has a nude shower scene in it. Their Titanic 2 film has scenes where the women get "wet and sexy" as I like to call it. They're not really a good example on which to base your fears, because they are guaranteed to take the lowest run on the ladder. A good writer won't fall for that, and I think Katie Dippold is a good writer. Have you seen The Heat? Funny as hell. I love Melissa McCarthy.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Even as the writer she's going to be beholden to what the studio and producers want. Looking at her work in IMDB I'm not too greatly familiar with it, I'll trust your word that she's got the talent to pull something like this off.

But a lot happens between hiring the writer and when you start putting scenes to celluloid (or a box full of digital bits or whatever it is they do now.) And there's a lot of changes in that process and a lot of sausage grease.

J, do you honestly trust Hollywood to treat three lead female characters as regular people?

For all the credit we can give Disney/Marvel for, say, their use of Black Widow in the MCU movies they still take full advantage of Scarlet Johannson's looks in the movies with linger shots of her ass in tight costume. (Not complaining, mind you. ;))

I look to be proven wrong on this. I *hope* I'm proven wrong, but I just don't see the decision being made to go with an all-female cast being done for story reasons or to give equal roles to women, which they rightfully need.

This is Hollywood being Hollywood and three good-looking women in form-fitting suits chasing CGI ghosts is going to put more butts in the seats than three middle-aged men in janitor's uniforms. That's how I think Hollywood is looking at this.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

People STILL think this movie is happening? :lol:

4. Amaris

True, but I watch lots of films, and there are still movies being made that involve all female casts that don't descend to the tropisms Hollywood loves to throw out. Have a little faith on this one. ;)

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I will say I think Paul Feig would treat the female characters with respect. Judd Apatow, not so much.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The idea was endorsed by Akyroyd, the father of the franchise, and supported by Murray, the one who made the franchise popular and who offered up his own solid recommendations for an all-female team. So no, I don't need my own franchise, the forefathers support it, thanks. I can enjoy this one. There's not much inbetween girl comedy and short-skirted movies, not a lot of female comic book movies, because it's still very much a male-dominated industry with very little interest in actually showing women as human beings. It's not women's fault that Hollywood can't seem to offer consistent entertainment with 3-dimensional women.

Essentially, if seeing an all-female team of Ghostbusters is enough to take you out of the movie, but the idea of giant marshmellow men and helldemons and other-dimensional entities seems more plausible and believable, then priorities need to be reexamined. Show me a man who abandons the movie because of gender (and not because of action, comedy, and horror -- that is, not because of its content), and I'll show you a sexist who can't see beyond the superficial. Sexist because of the core belief that women can't do a job that men can -- whether it's a specific brand of comedy or ghostbusting -- and that it's somehow the women's fault that they can't. After all, the vast majority of movies out there are dominated by men in starring roles, with those decisions determined by men. If women are getting excluded from proving themselves, it's not by their choice.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

What the hell is a "chick flick" comedy?
    Do you think Paul Feig does "chick flick" comedies?
    Because it features women, it's a "chick flick"?
    You already know what they are going to do in the movie?

Sexist bullshit is what you're shoveling here.

8. Amaris

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the thing that kills me. Women are expected to watch shows and movies with men at the center. And they have, for decades -- Ghostbusters being a prime example, Star Trek being another. But switch the leads and focus to women and suddenly it's "only for women." I ask this as a man myself: if women have no problem watching men, why do men have a problem watching women? Men have dominance over a multitude of genres: western, superhero, sci-fi, comedy, drama, political thriller. But if a movie stars a woman, it's automatically viewed as a "chick flick" that probably deals with romance and petty drama. And that doesn't seem fair at all. Sex and the City? Men have Entourage. And that's fine and all, but men aren't the ones suffering for material and exposure here.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's O.K. by me - Bridesmaids was quite funny. Then again, I didn't think Ghostbusters was...

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

[​IMG]

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd have no problem with it. Just make it a smartly written comedy and I'd be in. The original movies were never so much about the men, but rather being ghostbusters, the cool gadgets they use, and the relationships between each of them. That could easily translate to a different gender. Just don't make it all dark and gritty. It needs the camp.

13. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. Id rather it be a squeal than a reboot though, but im looking forward to it - if it ever comes.

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really don't see a new GB really getting made at this point, but if it does get done, it could be good. I'm not a fan of going for an all female team if you're doing a reboot, if they need to change the team they should just mix it up, not go complete opposite of the original. But, it could be good even with what they're apparently doing, it just needs a very good cast and writer. I'm not convinced they have a good writer or will get a good cast, but I won't write off the movie until we get more info (assuming it gets past the early stages to the point where there is more detailed info to get).

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm honestly not bothered by an all female team, although knowing Hollywood I suspect they'll want to sex it up (i.e. Charles Angels with ghosts). I'm more upset that its a reboot.

In other words, as always, take a random story, and slap a familiar name on it to sell tickets.

16. Professor Zoom

This. And just because there's women at the center of it, doesn't make it just for women, because, as you say...

Bingo.

17. Amaris

I like the idea of a reboot, if only because it separates the originals from what will be the new ones, and gives it a fresh start. Doing a continuation only calls for comparisons to the first two (or one, depending upon your level of persnickityness).

This way, we still get to see a new Ghostbusters, and the cast gets a fair shot at making their own mark.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'd rather not watch a Bridesmaids knockoff Ghostbusters film. :p

19. Professor Zoom

Why do you think Feig wants to MAKE a Bridesmaids knockoff Ghostbusters film? Because there's women as leads?

20. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. Having women in the lead role is a gimmick, didn't you know that?

Like, duh.