RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,915
Posts: 5,331,344
Members: 24,560
Currently online: 541
Newest member: jakesmit44543

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 15 2013, 09:45 PM   #61
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

Curious something I just noticed.

Think if Data HAD NOT been damaged in the beginining of the movie he'd have done thing significantly differently once he'd discovered the holo ship

I think he'd have still used violence to compromise the mission once he figured out what it was.
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 11:04 PM   #62
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

OH Just thought of this

On this "Its for the greater good.

Their was SOMEONE who wanted to dismantle Data, in order to understand how to make more androids.

This kind of technological revolution would vastly improve billions of lives.

And Data's Sentience, especialy in early TNG, is ... Questionable

He cant even use verbal contractions.

How DIFFICULT IS IT WHEN PROGRAMMING A FRICKIN AI, to make them use bits of extra grammar?

Seriously...

but point is, ive yet to hear a single voice, suggesting Maddox was anyhting but 100% in the wrong, and Data 125% in the right for opposing this.

Even thought it would have allowed The creation of away teams, that wouldnt have put any Humanoid lives at risk.

And yes shelby said to the "Does data have a soul" question "I dont know, I dont know that I have one"

But add the fact these "Made for a purpose" androids would have no family, and likely no friends, and you have a compelling reason to use them instead of People with those who would miss them on combative away missions.

Last edited by WesleysDisciple; March 15 2013 at 11:41 PM.
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 12:00 AM   #63
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

Data's a toaster.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 12:19 AM   #64
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

BillJ wrote: View Post
Data's a toaster.
Data is not the property of Starfleet.

Holograms created by Starfleet on the other hand...

I still can't believe VOY went there.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 04:24 PM   #65
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

Dream wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Data's a toaster.
Data is not the property of Starfleet.

Holograms created by Starfleet on the other hand...

I still can't believe VOY went there.

agreed, "hologram rights" was one of the stupider later-season VOY plots.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:23 AM   #66
FKnight
Commander
 
FKnight's Avatar
 
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

sonak wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Data's a toaster.
Data is not the property of Starfleet.

Holograms created by Starfleet on the other hand...

I still can't believe VOY went there.

agreed, "hologram rights" was one of the stupider later-season VOY plots.
Don't forget the coming Mark 1 EMH Insurrection brewing in the mines.
__________________
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:02 PM   #67
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

The entire concept of the EMH in Voyager was wrong to begin with. He was run by the ship's computer, and instantly had an attitude and emotions and a desire to enhance his programming. Eventually he even fell in love.

First of all: why the hell would Starfleet allow such a program to run on ships? A medical emergency program would be very limited to the actual purpose, and nothing else. The idea that he has a terrible bedside manner alone is incredibly stupid.

Second: why the fuck is he more sophisticated than Data? The doctor understood the concept of humor, had emotions, felt love, never had any trouble with fucking contractions. Data would feel pretty damn old by now.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:29 PM   #68
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The entire concept of the EMH in Voyager was wrong to begin with. He was run by the ship's computer, and instantly had an attitude and emotions and a desire to enhance his programming. Eventually he even fell in love.

First of all: why the hell would Starfleet allow such a program to run on ships? A medical emergency program would be very limited to the actual purpose, and nothing else. The idea that he has a terrible bedside manner alone is incredibly stupid.

Second: why the fuck is he more sophisticated than Data? The doctor understood the concept of humor, had emotions, felt love, never had any trouble with fucking contractions. Data would feel pretty damn old by now.

I mostly agree with your points, except the "terrible bedside manner," because first it was done from an outside-the-show perspective because he was funny, and second because it was based off of Zimmerman.

There was a way around the EMH plausibility thing-have B'elanna or someone on the ship greatly enhance or reprogram him early in the show out of necessity because of the long voyage. Otherwise, believing that what is basically a supplemental computer program could become as advanced as he did just by being "on" for a long time is just stupid.

If you play your Xbox games for long periods the characters don't become more developed and self-aware.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 10:21 PM   #69
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

Video game characters also don't have advanced AI, nor are they asked to respond to emergency situations with often creative solutions. They typically can't do more than run toward the sound of gunfire.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:28 PM   #70
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

tighr wrote: View Post
Video game characters also don't have advanced AI, nor are they asked to respond to emergency situations with often creative solutions. They typically can't do more than run toward the sound of gunfire.

yes, but there's no reason why an emergency supplemental program confined to sickbay and run through the main computer would have advanced AI either. Most likely, the program was never meant to run for longer than a few hours.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:40 PM   #71
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

sonak wrote: View Post
yes, but there's no reason why an emergency supplemental program confined to sickbay and run through the main computer would have advanced AI either. Most likely, the program was never meant to run for longer than a few hours.
I doubt many of the real doctors on starships even bothered with the EMH programs and instead treated them with distaste. They are called emergency for a reason. The attitudes programed into them really didn't help.

Also the holographic rights thing was something I'd rather not think about, since they were being used as sex toys over at DS9.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 12:49 AM   #72
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

Dream wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
yes, but there's no reason why an emergency supplemental program confined to sickbay and run through the main computer would have advanced AI either. Most likely, the program was never meant to run for longer than a few hours.
I doubt many of the real doctors on starships even bothered with the EMH programs and instead treated them with distaste. They are called emergency for a reason. The attitudes programed into them really didn't help.

Also the holographic rights thing was something I'd rather not think about, since they were being used as sex toys over at DS9.

yeah, and DS9 was guilty of it too, with the "Vic Fontaine, super-advanced hologram" nonsense.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 12:54 AM   #73
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

I hate how they made the Baku a bunch of pretty white people. At least mix it up a little!
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:16 AM   #74
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

Dream wrote: View Post
I hate how they made the Baku a bunch of pretty white people. At least mix it up a little!

they got pretty lazy with the look of the Baku.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.