American Horror Story - Coven

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gryffindorian, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.fxnetworks.com/ahs

The third season starts tonight, which I have been anticipating. I like the ensemble cast featuring strong female leads like Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, and Emma Roberts.

Rate and discuss. What say you?

EDIT: Possible spoilers

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Cool, reckon that means it'll start in the UK within the next couple of weeks (probably just in time for Halloween which is when seasons 1 and 2 started over here as far as I'm aware)

Really looking forward to it, even though Asylmum's resolution was a bit meh.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Kathy bates stuff is entertainingly stomach churning.

Not liking the teen coven.

I think really it's the idea of setting it in the present that I don't like.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Who knew that Taissa Farmiga had such a killer vagina. Who's next on her vagenda?

So far the young witches looks to be the least interesting storyline of the season. I'm much more looking forward to Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett go at it all season than whatever is going on with these girls.

5. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I have to find time to watch this. It is on our dvr, but I promised Hubby that I wouldn't watch it without him. He's at work, I have the day off...

I'm not liking my chances here!

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did'nt care for season 2 at all i hope season 3 is way bettter :)

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved season 2 but I think that this season will top it.

Ratings: Coven Scares Up Horror Story Record

8. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't bring myself to watch Asylum, but I did okay with this first episode.

And Jessica Lange is becoming the American Maggie Smith with her fantastic deadpan delivery. "Mary Todd Lincoln"--perfect!

9. Gryffindorian

It was a good start to kick off the new season. I'm not that invested in the young female characters at Madame Robichaux's Academy; even Lange made a reference to Hogwarts.

Is it me, or are they killing off former cast members like Lily Rabe and Evan Peters? (The characters, not the actors.)

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And: "Don't make me drop a house on you."

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was the first I'd watched the show since the second or third episode of the first season, and I like it. I had actually wanted to try Asylum, but I missed the beginning and I figured I'd rather just wait and watch it on Netflix. I do agree that the young witches stuff is the least interesting so far, but I think it'll be worth it for the adult characters.
    Oh, and Evan Peters will be back. They showed the two blondes girls making him into a magical Frankenstein's monster in the preview at the end of the episode.

12. Gryffindorian

Denis O'Hare, who plays the butler, reminds me of Argus Filch from Harry Potter.

13. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read he played the burned man in Season 1.

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I liked it, overall. I'm not entirely sure where they're going with it. I'll agree that the teen witches were a bit bland, but I think they're meant to start out that way. I have a feeling they're going to end up pawns in a very elaborate chess game and at that point we'll start feeling more empathy for them.

Surely Lily Rabe, as a witch who can revive the dead, isn't really dead herself?

15. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm guessing Rabe and Peters will be a part of the zombies that they mentioned in the end of episode previews for the upcoming season.

Totally agree with the unimpressive teen witches, but the party bus flip that Emma Roberts conjured up was pretty cool-looking.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

This was my first episode of the series and I wasn't very impressed. It just felt very CW with all the bitchy teenage witches having sex. I thought this was supposed to be a "horror story".

So, based on my internet ramblings, am I to understand that they use the same group of actors in all three seasons but give them different characters, so each season has absolutely no connection to the others?

17. Gryffindorian

Pretty much. It's an anthology series, so each season is different. Unlike other TV shows, you don't have to watch previous seasons to understand what's currently going on. I personally enjoyed Season 2 (Asylum), with great performances by Zachary Quinto, James Cromwell, and of course, regulars Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson.

The recurring/regular cast members, in addition to Lange and Paulson, are Evan Peters, Lily Rabe, Taissa Farmiga, Denis O'Hare, Jamie Brewer, and Frances Conroy.

New this season: Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, Emma Roberts, Gabourey Sidibe, Patty Lupone.

Previous seasons: Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Zachary Quinto, James Cromwell, Lizzy Brochere, Joseph Fiennes, Chloe Sevigny.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  18. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They had three teenage sex scenes, two of which were rape, I don't think that's very CW.:lol: This episode felt different than the previous seasons, much more lighthearted and funny but I assume that will change soon, the season's just getting started.

Yes, every season is completely self contained. The first season was pretty good, but the second season (Asylum) blew me away, it was fantastic from start to finish.

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Rule #1: Never Roofie a witch!

I liked it. I loved the first two series, so I am hopeful.

Good stuff.

:techman:

20. Gryffindorian

15 minutes into it, and I'm like, ”Wow, bravo, Jessica Lange!” Fiona Goode is such a funny witty witch that this show would be lost without her. Glad to see Lily Rabe's character resurrected.