Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I have it on very good authority that there is another story back.

3. Lonemagpie

Let's just sit back and reflect on why William Russell recorded a DVD commentary a fortnight ago.

4. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well there are other things he could be asked to do them for.

The first three stories never had full commentaries. And he is in Adventure in Space And Time. (As well as being witness to the original events)

Still an interesting possibility though.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Mint anyone ?

6. Lonemagpie

With a hole

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Everyone keeps going on about the MEW rumour (Marco, Enemy, Web) and how only 2/3rds were released.

I'll believe it when I see it. But if it IS the Marco prints from ETV in Ethiopia then that would be a good find as they're considered to be one of only two stored field versions that were bicycled around the world. The other eight were inferior suppressed field copies.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The latest speculation I've seen on "Marco" is this--

Gatiss has said that there's a restaging of a scene from "Marco" in An Adventure in Space and Time. Because of that, they're holding "Marco" back so that AAiSaT is special.

I don't know. That seems like a bit of stretch to me. I don't see the BBC holding back something like "Marco" which is worth money just because of a one-off television film that they haven't even marketed.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well they did already release 2 stories (Enemy and Web), I can see the possibility they might not want to blow the whole wad at once, especially if there was a scene in AAiSaT as you describe.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I want to believe this is true but I don't know why they released two stories and not three; unless Marco really did need more restoration and they decided not to put all their eggs in one basket.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thanks, that's very interesting info :)

12. Lonemagpie

TBH, there's much umming and ahing about the BBC Four rerun of An Unearthly Child "as it's never been seen before" so I kinda wonder if they're just intending to show a recovered Marco Polo in place of it or as well as it, which would make some sense of it's recovery being held back to be announced on November 23rd.

If it's true, of course.

13. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Vanezis recently denied that the Restoration Team was working on Marco Polo, saying it had not been recovered. He also denied the persistent rumor about Web 3, saying it had not been found. "Recovered" and "found" were in fact the exact words he used in the respective instances; the difference between them might suggest a possible reason why Marco Polo, if known to exist, couldn't be announced yet.

14. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno - does anyone really believe Vanezis after the recent situation? I wouldn't blame anyone who wouldn't.

15. Brendan Moody

But that's exactly the point-- nothing he said was flat-out untrue, just carefully worded to be enormously misleading. The obvious intention of this latest statement is to suggest that Marco Polo and Web 3 aren't known to exist, but for the former, his word choices may indicate the opposite.

16. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

No telling, but why did they keep the find a secret all through the recovery and restoration process right up until they released it? They were virtually lying about it. The whole thing was odd.

That doesn't mean Marco Polo was found, but keeping it a secret wouldn't be unusual for the BBC!

Mr Awe

17. Mr Awe

Perhaps not an outright lie but clearly a very careful attempt to mislead, which is effectively the same thing.

Mr Awe

18. Brendan Moody

That's what I said, yes.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Same reason as the lack of Trailer that people wanted to start seeing months out. They wanted it to be an Anniversary Gift. Once you start feeding the PR Hype, you have to keep feeding it, to keep up the momentum, you start too early, and you have to let more and more out in order to keep buzz going, and by the time the Anniversary rolls around, everything is known, it's old hat, and no longer special

I'm not taking a side on if Marco Polo is still waiting to be revealed, I'm just saying it's not unreasonable that they might want to hold something back, and they probably didn't want to reveal what they did reveal so soon, the luster is already worn off Enemy of The World and Web of Fear, if they had announced them a week or two before the Anniversary, it would've made it all the more special.

20. Mr Awe

^ Essentially the BBC didn't announce them until they released them. I think it would've been fine to announce that they've been found in advance of the release and saying that they'll be released on iTunes before the anniversary. That would get people looking forward to them.

This is especially true in light of the rampant rumors and unrealistically high expectation that 90 had been found. If the luster has worn off (for me it hasn't), it's only because 2 stories are so much less than the rumors suggested!

I'm completely thrilled by the finds and the luster certainly hasn't worn off for me!

Mr Awe