Is there an episode that made you shed a tear or cry?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by energize6, Jul 26, 2013.

1. energize6

energize6 Ensign Newbie

Strange question, I know but is there an episode of TOS that made you shed a tear or even cry? The closest I've come is This Side of Paradise. Aside from being probably my favorite episode of TOS (I know there are more famous choices I could go with but I love that episode) and there was a point where I had a little tear in my eye.

That's the closest I've got and I'm aware I may be in the minority but it's just something I'd ask.

2. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. It was the 1960s, we weren't in touch with our emotions back then. The episodes really weren't made with sappy emotionalism in mind.

Like you said, the closest was when Spock admitted he was happy for the first time in his life.

3. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

"The City on the Edge of Forever", the scene where Kirk prevents Bones from saving Edith.

McCoy: You deliberately stopped me, Jim! I could have saved her! Do you know what you just did?

Spock: He knows, Doctor...he knows.

If you're a TOS fan and that scene doesn't make you choke up when you see it, even just a little, you are dead inside.

4. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Real tears no, but I remember when the Enterprise exploded in Star Trek III it was a most emotional moment. I didn't believe for a second the countdown was "for real".

But if I was standing, I'd have had to sit down.

5. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So that's what that big empty feeling is. :klingon:

6. Mr. Hengist

Mr. Hengist Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm not sure if I shed a tear, but I have to say that there's a huge difference watching the shows as a kid, pure space opera, and then watching some of them decades later as an adult with some life experience under one's belt.

The plottiness and sf elements become less important and sometimes you can pick up on issues and character development that only becomes meaningful when you have "been there done that."

At the end of "Requiem For Methusaleh," Kirk has fallen in love with the female android Rayna. Flint has brought him to the planet to wake up her emotions and it works. The android has become a human being and they are truly in love with each other. The stress of choosing between Kirk (her lover) and Flint (her creator/"father") is too much, and she dies.

At the end Kirk is back in the briefing room of the Enterprise in a complete state of unconsolable anguish. Spock shows mercy and does a mind meld and says, "Forget...." (taking away his anguished memories of Rayna).

As a kid that scene was to me a rather meaningless/silly throwaway. Oh Spock can make people forget things, too?

Only as an adult have I come to better appreciate the poignance of that scene and of the entire story.

Falling in love with a perfect android woman built by an immortal godlike man? That's actually kind of a silly plot.

But if you look at it from the inside out, as a story about a man who is dedicated to his duties, is a lady's man but has never really found a lasting love, finally finds it, then is responsible (or feels he is) for her death...it's much more meaningful to me now, as an adult, on an emotional level.

Another one that hits me the same way, probably for the same reason, is "The Paradise Syndrome." Kirk finally finds happiness and love with Miramanee on the planet, he has amnesia. But ultimately she's fatally injured and dies in his arms.

**Obviously City on the Edge of Forever is similar emotionally.

7. picardo

picardo Lieutenant Red Shirt

The end of menagerie almost made me cry.

Such a beautiful and unexpected ending, I felt pity for the captain but at the same time I felt really happy that he had recovered his youth.

8. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    No, because I knew no matter what happened the main cast would always be alright.

However in TWOK I STILL cry like a baby during Spock's death scene.

9. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

This exchange always gets me. Speaks so clearly about Kirk and Spock's friendship and loyalty to each other.

Edith Keeler: [to Kirk] I still have a few questions I'd to ask about you two. Oh, and don't give me that "Questions about little old us?" look. You know as well as I do how out of place you two are around here.
    Spock: Interesting. Where would you estimate we belong, Miss Keeler?
    Edith Keeler: [to Spock] You? At his side, as if you've always been there and always will.
    Edith Keeler: [to Kirk] And you... you belong... in another place.

10. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me the saddest moment in all of Star Trek is Miramanee's big scene at the very end of "The Paradise Syndrome." Gerald Fried's music to that, on its own or in the show, can still get me to well up a little. It's beautiful.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

THE EMPATH, when Gem 'sees' how Spock feels about Kirk and McCoy. And then when McCoy pushes her away to keep her from dying.

12. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

I don't think there anything in TOS apart from Spock and Kirk's deaths. I've hd a few from TNG though.

13. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The words are beautiful, but I think Collins' tone adds a lot to the eerie, haunting quality of the scene, as well as the background string music.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Only one time have I been overly emotional in over seven-hundred hours of Trek. The funeral of Tasha Yar and I didn't even really care about the character. It was just incredibly well done.

15. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Plenty...I'm a big baby.

"Amok Time" when Kirk 'died'. I watched it during early 70's reruns, I distinctly remember my mom saying, "Oh, shut-up. He's not dead"

"The Offspring"
    "Drone"
    "The Visitor"

I was good in TWOK until Kirk's voice broke.

Plenty I can't remember off-hand.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I'm not ashamed to admit that the final scene between Spock and Leila, after Spock has shaken off the influence of the spores, still makes me cry like a little girl.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gMVrQ4Zq3M[/yt]

17. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Excellent choice, very emotional scene.

Nothing in TOS made me cry. DS9's The Visitor made me a wreck though.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

THE VISITOR would have had me weeping if not for the lamentable age makeups that plague all of ModernTrek. Everybody always has this shine to them like they're plastic, and I find it distracting as hell. I actually often listen to THE VISITOR rather than watching it, at least the parts with Tony Todd playing older.

FAR BEYOND THE STARS often wipes me out too.

19. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The destruction of the Enterprise hit me harder than the death or Spock or Kirk... I was numb for the rest of the picture. It was like experiencing an unexpected death in the family, which in real life I had several months before.

I still get a bit choked up when Shatner says "My god Bones, what have I done?"

20. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

^^ Yeah I was sobbing when that happened :(