The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I was envisioning that they could make bio-diesel from the vegetable oil and the turpentine that forms from old gasoline. Apparently those are the ingredients. But I read around and it appears that old gas doesn't literally turn to turpentine. I guess that's a misunderstanding. I'm not clear what it does turn into and whether it could still be used as fuel in some way.

Still, if we just envisioned that scouting parties made a point of either carrying or scavenging a gallon of vegetable oil, that would explain how a car could reliably run with supposedly old fuel when picked up off the street. Just make sure it's a diesel, dump your oil in the tank, and go. (Maybe drain the old stuff out of the tank first. ;) )

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The hard part would be finding enough diesel cars in the U.S.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Eh, it's the south. I'm sure there's a lot of diesel trucks laying around. ;)

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it is not. On ST, we know characters must rid their bodies of waste material, so toilets are assumed to be around. That's never a question. However, on a series where the entire land's power grid has gone bye-bye (now for nearly two in-story years), and batteries lose the ability to hold a charge after a good amount of time, plus that lack of any chargers, electricity, etc. (Rick did not have solar power at the prison, and there's that gasoline matter), the ipod issue stands out.

...just like another member pointing out Rick's designer stubble, Maggie's changing hair color, etc.

Remember, TWD is set in the present day, not in the far future (ex. Star Trek), where it is pointless to hammer technology (or access) that do not or will never exist. TWD's producers pride themselves on how "real" the show is, so when errors (or lazy writing) occur, it stands out.

5. sojourner

First, let me get this out.....:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

OK, dude. I have AA batteries in my house that are over 5 years old sitting in a drawer that I use for TV remotes. They're still good.

I have flashlights that I use periodically that have batteries over 3 years old in them.

Finding working batteries 2 years in to a zombie apocalypse is a non-issue.

Recharging rechargeable batteries using cars is a non-issue.

The Ipod issue is only an issue for someone who has no experience with batteries.

You're better off complaining about hair color changes and stubble.

6. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am truly amazed this debate is still going on.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That's a damn good point actually. Keep one car in good condition and put in a small amount of petrol/gas, you not only get the wheels (tires removed) going for running a generator of sorts for a small house/hut as well, you'd have the 200 different chargers for handheld devices for any of them still running stationary or on the road.

8. Trekker4747

I've had the same set of batteries in my Blu-Ray player remote, that I use frequently for almost three years before they died and needed replacing.

9. Trekker4747

This episode of The Walking Dead was brought to you by Peach Schnapps.

An... okay episode. Mostly a character episode for Beth and Daryl and, really, I think this is the first, pure, character-driven "filler episode" the series has had. With a limited number of episodes they usually run pretty tight and avoid these types of episodes. But this one was a close to a "bottle episode" as I think this series can get.

Meh episode, and I'd almost dare-say the "worst" episode of the series if only because, I guess, something has to be "last." But it's only "just" last. By a nose or something.

Not to malign the episode any it was just... I dunno.

10. TREK_GOD_1

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: ...at the sheer desperation of defending TWD's implausible convenience of assets!

I'm not not buying that, as the average battery will lose juice sitting in the package on a store shelf, and once used, a battery has a shorter lifespan.

As noted by others, a car sitting for years would not be a source.

Again, some really love trying to defend things that have no relation to reality.

11. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Or some like to needlessly criticize it without thinking twice about it and just can't admit when they're wrong.

And of course, we all know that on Star Trek they had a rectal transporter.

12. TREK_GOD_1

This episode was about two lines--Beth's:

"you're going to miss me.."

"last man standing"

Seems too telegraphed. Either Beth is right--and she will die (soon), making Daryl's bonding session his personal heart breaker, or TWD's shock-loving producers will kill off most of the main cast, with Beth being one of the last survivors standing (whenever the final season arrives).

Then, there's the preview of next week, where Daryl is running without you know who.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You see, I wasn't sure if she was a dumb kid trying to trick Darryl into taking her virginity, or if she was kindly and enlightened Angel trying to rebuild his busted up soul... Which is why I was trying to figure out what side of thirty Norman is on... He's 45.

14. sojourner

Yep, batteries have a terrible shelf life. Only about 10 years.
    Yep, 10 years here too.

As for cars, we've seen functioning cars on the show. You know, being driven? Talk about denial.:rolleyes:

Now, about reality, you might want to investigate it.

Good thing about those batteries in reality holding a charge for 10 years. Came in handy when they found those flashlights on tonight's episode.

15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit, even though I love me some Beth, these four episodes have been on the whole rather dull

16. TREK_GOD_1

Well, after the Governor's finale they could not leap into the er--next big thing. In any case, the producers have promised the show is going to get "crazy" before the season is said and done, and i'm betting that starts next week.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I love Daryl---LOVE him, like in "If Daryl dies, we riot" love him---but I thought this episode was a bit thin. The opening scene of hiding in the trunk while the herd of walkers goes by was chilling. I loved how, when they got out, you saw all the muddy footprints. YIKES. But the rest of it---meh. A teensy bit skimpy.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm about to watch the Talking dead. They are very food themed this year. I wonder if they barbecued some snake meat or if Chris Hardwick is just going to be handing out gummy snakes to the audience?

19. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank god someone finally hugged Daryl. He is a man who needs a hug.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

And you're okay with dead people walking around and eating the living.