7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

55.2%
  2. Good

32.8%
  3. Average

8.6%
  4. Save us!

2.3%
  5. Exterminate!!

1.1%
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It might be a case of "Whar Time War?"

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I would guess she erased their interactions with the Doctor.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Average. This one didn't do a lot for me. It was way too easy for the Dalek's to get the Doctor. If it were that easy, he'd be dead by now. I didn't buy the reason that the Ponds were divorced. I didn't buy that the Daleks would put their psycho members in an asylum. I also didn't buy the conversion process, the Daleks don't do that. They grow mutants for that purpose. The Daleks have a Prime Minister?! Basically, there was just so much that wasn't quite right. There were things that I enjoyed, but there was as much that was wrong. So, average.

Mr Awe

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

That's just begging for a photoshop contest. Anybody with some interesting theories on who got replaced in their records as the destroyer of Daleks...? :lol:

5. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abslom Daak: DALEK KILLER :lol:
    http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Abslom_Daak

6. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Rubbish. It's to New Who's discredit that it doesn't stand out as unusually bad though.

So, what are Daleks doing with a Parliament then? Do they elect Daleks to represent Dalek constituencies? How silly.
    The dialogue's more execrable than ever. It's gone beyond trying to mimic Buffy the Vampire Slayer to being like mimicking someone's pisstake of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "Och aye, ahm not fookin' scared, ahm scootish!" doesn't do wonders for making the situation feel serious and "By the way Rory, I'm a bit of a lezza as well, being as how I inhabit the New Who universe" stood out as more Moffat pathetically trying to be cool and RTD-like.
    Aside from no explanation as to why there are all these Daleks again (including ones from all eras), why would they have an asylum, rather than, say, exterminating the ones who fuck about? Surely less hassle than moving them to an asylum, not to mention the Daleks never seemed like they'd care enough to not kill their own on the spot before.
    People growing dildoes out of their head because they're been breathing Dalek air or whatever? What the fuck? Are Dalek cases not mechanical then but biological? Eyestalks are born? They wouldn't have people turn like that out of choice, surely a roboman would be more useful if they carried on looking like a person. Very silly.
    The black guy didn't decompose and carried on looking like a living black guy because he was out in the snow. Yes, that's right, dead people carry on looking living if you stick them in the freezer for the equivalent time it takes someone to decompose horribly in a marginally warmer metal box under the snow.
    The whole interest of having loads of different types of Daleks was completely lost by being lit like a city underpass at night with only one bulb working. I was keeping a special eye out and I only noticed two non-RTD Daleks: a special weapons Dalek in a wide shot and a classic series one as Rory was running from an explosion or something.
    So the Daleks all have a magic psychic web that you can magically delete things from and magically have every Dalek in the entire universe forget about? What a convenient load of shite we've never heard of before now.
    The Daleks just assimilate people now, no hassle? So they're the Borg? Where did that extra casing come from? Shouldn't whatever the bitch's name was have just been a mutant on the floor?
    The Doctor hopping around the Tardis saying "Doctor Who! Doctor Who! Doctor Who!" might be the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. It's like this is actually meant to be a pisstake. It's almost as bad as him doing impressions of fighter planes in A Good Man Fucking Shit.

So that's why it was absolutely awful, from my memory over 3 days later. There was a couple of good bits though. I liked the reanimated corpses (even if being able to affect dead matter is stupid) though would have prefered them without the sex toys in their foreheads. I liked the Doctor acting with some genuine fear as those Daleks narrowed in on him.

I voted 2 out of 5 on Saturday just for not being quite as poor as much of last series, though that's still overly kind. It was dire actually.

...and why do they call the Doctor "Predator"? It sounds more Dalek-like than The Oncoming Storm, but he doesn't actually stalk and kill them. Once again, we're meant to believe the Doctor's a hard action hero rather than someone who wins with intellect and intelligence.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Thank Your for your opinion Bones, I've been waiting for it.

Now that we have that outta the way...

8. Ghost Bones

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's nice for my analytical powers to be appreciated.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

One quick "who is this Doctor" google search across time and space will jog their memories

Dalek 1- Hey did you know he fought us in 1920's New York?

Dalek 29- Says here that he fought us in 21th century London with the Cybermen.

Dalek 32- dispatch dalek teams across time to find out more about him

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

It would be even nicer if you didn't just call a random woman who hasn't done anything to warrant it a bitch just because she's in an episode you didn't like of a show you love to hate-watch.
    Most of what you said had a point but you kinda ruin it with that sort of thing. I'm also a bit amazed at your ability to see sex toys where there aren't any. ;)

Dalek 241: "Turns out we already did that whole chasing him through time thing - twice, actually."

Ultimately, it might turn out to do more harm than good. I didn't see the second half of the last season but I assume people forgetting about the Doctor is supposed to be a good thing, even though it usually works in his favour.

11. Ghost Bones

What, you object to my calling a fictional character a bitch?
    There's an insult called a "dickhead" which was especially all the rage at school, and was drawn with a penis and often testes as well in the center of someone's forehead. Show someone growing a phallic object out of their heads like that and legions of people will have the same thing come to mind. So less of the ;), I'm not seeing penises everywhere because I'm a closet homosexual, though that said I do think the Doctor and Amy are pricks as well.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Owls have Parliaments too, I don't see the point of bitching about a Dalek Parliament

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Do owls have a Prime Minister, though? ;) I wonder if that was some sort of message about modern Britain.

14. Ghost Bones

Well presumably you do because there's an obvious difference between the meaning of a parliament of owls and a parliament in this context. A mod (I assume that's what the green name indicates) calling reasonable criticism of a TV show "bitching" says a lot.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Reasonable? After reading your review I feel like you watched a different episode from everyone else.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

GB's flaws seem pretty reasonable to me, I found many of those myself and/or have seen them listed elsewhere.

17. Ghost Bones

Why? Is there anything untrue or inaccurate in there?

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It's the unrelenting and perpetual negativity. There is no more need to wonder what your opinion might be than to wonder if the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

19. Ghost Bones

The fact I gave The Girl Who Waited full marks and The God Complex a high score last series is neither here nor there then? Maybe if they didn't make a show so crippled with flaws then I wouldn't be so uncouth as to point them out. By the same measure, it's predictable almost everyone here will squee and orgasm over each new episode, but I don't mention that.

But why are you talking about me? I come here to talk about the show, and time after time people insist on talking about me instead. It's flattering and all, but not the purpose of the forum.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And so do I, and the fact that she's a fictional character is neither here nor there, anymore than it'd excuse being offensive about Martha because of her ethnicity or Jack because of his sexuality.

Context is everything. Saying Amy can be a bitch sometimes is one thing, cos let's face it the character can be, but randomly refering to Oswin as a bitch simply because that's obviously the first word that comes into your head when you think of a woman is something else...