Downton Abbey ITV1 22nd September 9pm

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Serial thread killer, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

DarthTom, the current season starts on PBS at the beginning of January. If you haven't seen the previous ones yet, they're available on Netflix. (Or at least they were. I'm on a hiatus from Netflix at the moment, so I can't get on to check for you.)

2. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Edith sneaking into the house? YAY! And I really hope we see Lord Gillingham again, he has grown on me.

3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Can't believe Lord Gillingham asked Mary to marry him after 4 days.
    But tonight Edith really proved she is Flobert's daughter by not reading the contract before signing and if that does not lead to trouble, I have a feeling she had not been reading Edna's book's before spending the night with Gregson and is going to be in so much trouble in 9 months time.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I know something is going to happen with that contract the moment she didn't read it. Blinded by love or blinded by Edithness?

Edna has been given the boot, again, and good riddance. As much as I adore MyAnna Burning (as I have since her appearance on Doctor Who way back when), Edna is an awful wench. Of course, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her.

Again, I understand why Anna is doing what she's doing, but I don't like watching it. I continue to be patient with the storyline, but I hope Mr. Bates isn't kept in the dark for too much longer.

They've been like this for awhile, but I very much love how Violet and Isobel have become dear friends, even if they wouldn't admit to anyone.

I wonder what Thomas is playing at this time...

5. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

What kind of contract did Edith sign? I just thought it was something that put her in charge of Gregson's stuff while he was away? Too bad he's going to boring Munich. It would have been fun to have a few scenes set in 1920s vibrant Berlin.

I can't believe Robert actually some useful advice for once and I hope Mr Bates will heed it. I thought that Anna's storyline was handeled fairly realistically except for Mrs Hughes suggesting they go to the police.

6. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Why was that specific part unrealistic to you?

7. Count Zero

I don't think this would have been a very common reaction to hearing someone got raped back then.
    Besides, it would be a scandal, possibly putting a mark on Lord Gillingham's reputation. So far, the servants at Downton, especially Mrs Hughes and Mr. Carson, have been very committed to preventing anything that could be seen as scandalous from becoming public.

8. dg1379

Well tonights episode was pretty good. Not gonna speculate about Edith yet. And I really hope Bates doesn't do anything stupid. Seeing him in prison again will do the series in for me, I think.

9. Count Zero

I really appreciated how they reminded us that he's silently dangerous. His delivery of his response to Mrs. Hughes at the end was great.
    Mrs. Hughes was quite ingenious in changing the story in such a way Bates is less likely to murder someone and go to prison. She got lucky, though, that Anna didn't immediately spill the beans when Mr. Bates told her he knew what had happened. Considering that she thought she was readable as a book to him she did a good job. The question now is whether he believed them and will try to find that unknown perp or whether he's secretly convinced it really was Mr. Green. I'm glad that at least Anna and Mr. Bates are together again.

I totally overlooked that Edith went to a Doctor. Do you guys think she had an abortion? If so, that would be a very subtle way of showing that.

All in all, a good episode. I'm very curious how Anna's and Mr. Bates' storyline and that of Edith will continue. I could really do without that Evelyn guy.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Good to see Anna and John back together but that dark comment at the end tells us that the happiness won't last for long. He clearly still suspects Mr. Green.

Enjoyed the addition of Raquel Cassidy (one Doctor Who guest star replacing another) and I hope we see plenty more of her, no matter what terrible things Thomas is conniving.

11. dg1379

Its Barrow now ;)

Maybe I missed it, but Count Zero, what makes you think she had an abortion? I thought she went to get confirmation of whether or not she was pregnant.

12. Count Zero

Yes, that's the likelier goal of her visit to the Doctor. I was just wondering. If she was pregnant and went through with it she'd be "ruined" as the child would be from a man she isn't married to and who's still married to someone else. The pressure on her would be pretty high not to have the child.
    That's probably too grim of a storyline for the show, though. I guess, if push came to shove, she'd be sent overseas to discreetly give birth to the child there. (Hey, she could meet up with melty-faced Patrick over there. ;))

13. dg1379

Haha, didn't think about that

14. Serial thread killer

I don't think she had a abortion because its not has if she could have pulled doctors name out of the phone book who would be willing to risk it also..
    I've seen a picture of Edith looking pregnant
    But I do wonder what has happened to Gregson and what was in that paper she signed last week.
    But at this point I am fed up of seeing poor Edith.

15. Count Zero

Judging from the preview I guess we'll learn more about that next week. I'm quite curious myself. It's a lot more interesting of a storyline than what they've given Mary, Tom and Robert, so far. Although it looks as if that one might also get more interesting in the next episode.

16. Serial thread killer

I laughed so hard when Robert said he loved all his children equally .
    But OMG Edith with no husband she's going to have to be sent away and force to give the child up.

17. Count Zero

Yeah, they're really going there. I wonder whether she'll be dragged along to the US to cover it up or what else will happen.

I thought this was a great episodes with a lot of stuff happening. I really appreciated how they showed the racism towards Ross in a clear, yet subtle way (i.e. without any slurs). I had to laugh at Carson's ill-fated attempts at small-talk.

The scenes between John and Anna were also very good.

18. dg1379

Good episode for sure. I feel bad about what can happen to Edith when she tells everyone about the baby. I'm really interested in next weeks episode. I just hope Bates doesn't get locked up when Green returns.

19. Count Zero

Ha, that was a great way to end an episode, with Bates' stare of death. Looks like we're in for a dramatic last episode of the series next week.

The scene between Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Green was very intense. I half expected her to be the one to kill him. Oh well, maybe that'll be next week's twist.

I didn't expect the almost-abortion storyline. I'm glad Edith eventually decided against it although it will make her life much harder.

Despite those dramatic storylines this episode also had some fun moments, e.g. Mary's and Blake's night out in the mud. I also liked the Dowager Countess and Isobel bonding.

20. dg1379

I'm relieved that the dowager is going to be alright. Kinda disappointed we didn't get to see 1920s America though.

I also thought that Mrs Hughes was going to kill Green. That would have been a twist for sure. I cannot wait for next week. Pity its the last one. The season goes by so fast!