Back to the Future 25th Anv. Trilogy on Blu-ray Oct 2010

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NO BUYS

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Re: Eric Stolz casting

In total there should be five scenes

Temporal experiment number 1 at twin pines

Marty looking at his dad

Marty at doc's house

Marty walking around 1955 hill valley.

Sending Marty back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is it me or do the re entry vents on the back of the time machine red?

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Probably reflecting light from the buildings on the streets and/or just some color artifact of the photography.

The clips they show in the above link, I feel, really does show Stolz wasn't right for the part.

5. Samurai8472

I think Fox did a better stunned look than Stoltz when he realizes the guy sitting next to him is his father

[​IMG]

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Stoltz is indeed a good actor, but he's not funny. He's playing it straight, but this is not a subtle movie in any sense. I wonder how much Zemeckis tried to nudge him towards Fox-ian big-ness, and how much he just let Stoltz dig his own hole.

The two Bobs say on one of the dvd commentaries that they don't believe in doing that, which is an unimpeachable position.

7. Trekker4747

Which is fine and all, I respect that.

But it's possible to do it without "Lucasifying it." Many of the simple SFX shots (like the "highways" seen in the BG during p2) look decent. But there some shots that, well, just show the problems with the effects and and there's even some pretty big continuity and consistency errors in the process.

There's a few scenes of the DeLorean flying in p2 where the model doesn't have the "shine" and "gleem" of a stainless-steel car and it, well, looks like a model (including the lights on the inside). Most notably the shot of the car going down the "offramp" into Hill Valley 2015 and the DeLorean in chase of Biff's Ford in 1955. The car baking into the dumpster when Biff steals it is very shitty looking.

There's an error where we see the DeLorean landing in the Hill Valley alley where the car has some very different looking features (notably the exhaust vents' size and color) than the real car. (This is because the "landing car" was a plastic, light weight, prop lowered with a fork-lift.) It bugged me in the theater 20 years ago when I saw it in the theater for the first time. It bugs me today.

And the most glaring error has to be being able to see the real drive wheels for the DeLorean under the chassis when the car is hovering behind Biff's Ford (when Marty is clinging on to the fender.)

I'm not saying go through and replace everything (the effect of the landing car upon returning to 1985 switching between a model and the real car behind a light pole is very, very well done.) Don't go Lucas on it. But just clean up some of the more obvious mistakes and errors in it that were limitations of the time. There's plenty of good effects int he movie but there's one or two that just look bad and looked bad the first time the movie was released.

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I already own the old 2002 trilogy set on DVD (that was one of the 1st DVDs I ever owned) and I bought the new 2-disc version of Part I that was released on DVD a few years ago. However, I love these movies so much and have such an insatiable hunger for Back to the Future bonus features, I'll probably pick up this set too.

BTW, is anyone else going to the theatrical rerelease of Part I on Saturday, October 23 & Monday, October 25?

In R1, all 3 films included 2 commentary tracks-- the USC Q&A sessions with Bob Gale & Robert Zemeckis and a scene specific commentary with Bob Gale & Neil Canton. Personally, I'd like to see them add a new cast reunion commentary track with Michael J. Fox, Lea Thompson, Thomas F. Wilson, Mary Steenburgen, Crispin Glover (if they can get him to not be crazy for 2 hours), and Christopher Lloyd (if they can get him to say anything).

What I've wanted to do is edit together all of Doc's scenes to watch the entire saga chronologically from Doc's perspective.

Yeah. Fox really brings Marty's disbelief to a climax here.

9. Trekker4747

Just looking at those grabs of Stolz just shows how all wrong he was for the part, hell even his freaking costume and hairdo is a disaster.

10. Samurai8472

It took 25 years but I finally got it. The Sunstar 1:18 delorean! It's eluded me twice in my lifetime.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bttf really connected with me. Some of the dates even correspond to my birthday

October 27th 1985 is my first birthday
    October 21st 2015 is a day before I hit 31

Recreating a classic T-shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM6Ms621898

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I missing something here, and you've actually experienced the relative time dilation associated with time travel? ;)

12. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure that's how the Star Wars Special Editions started out, too.

13. Trekker4747

Which is all fine and good, and then Lucas went nuts.

There's good ways to update and clean up effects and then there's the Lucas way.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    What's with the lack of a life preserver?

BTW, I just wanted to present the greatest time travel crossover ever!
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBw9E2Q_aY&feature=channel[/yt]

15. Trekker4747

I'd pay $1,000,000 to see that movie.

16. Samurai8472

Ah I see my mistake

October 27th is five days after my first birthday

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

18. Samurai8472

^check post 50

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Dammit! Just when I decided I wasn't going to spend any more money this month!

20. Samurai8472

Clip of the tribute from the Scream awards. The best clip so far since others have warbled audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UzoCnTA5_I

To commemorate the 25th anniversary here is a picture of me at a New york car show

Wearing a TMNT shirt too. Can't get more 80's than that

[​IMG]