Spoilers TF: The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Nov 17, 2013.

?

Rate The Poisoned Chalice.

1. Outstanding

55 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Above Average

49 vote(s)
    44.5%
  3. Average

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: TF: The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow Review Thread (Spoilers!

Great story so far. I've already voted `outstanding´ without having finished it yet. Still thinking about what to make of Admiral Riker.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading this one last week, and I've been enjoying it.
    The reference to Tom Riker and Tuvok meeting during the Helena Colony outbreak has motivated me to finally read Double Helix: Quarantine. I've actually had the book since it first came out, but I never actually got around to reading it. I know this was just a quick, minor reference, but it was still enough to pique my curiosity.
    I was really surprised when Nog popped up on the Snipe, I had no idea he was in this. This kind of mashing up of casts is one of the reasons I love Trek Lit so much, it's fun getting to see characters who never met on screen interact with each other.

Markonian and Jinn like this.
  3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Poisioned Chalice is a great story I reread the book last year I enjoyed reading the entire series. again it was really exciting to see how the mystery unfolded and how Picard and Riker's crew and Ezri's crew people have to thwart the villians in the books.

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

That does sum up a lot of storylines that occur.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished this one earlier today, and it was awesome.
    I knew about the big twist coming in, but I still enjoyed seeing how it all played out.
    All of the storylines in this one were really interesting, which isn't always the case in a book with so many different ones.
    The crew of the Snip was a really interesting group of characters, I especially enjoyed seeing Nog and Tuvok working together. The characters were both good in their respective series, but it never would have occured to me to team them up. Kincade was a cool villain, especially once she stopped pretending.
    It was a bit of a surprise how much the events of Ceremony of Losses played a role in this one, I had originally expected it to be a bit of a side.
    Riker being promoted to Admiral was a really interesting development, and I'm very curious to see what is done with him in future stories. From the descriptions of the post The Fall books it sounds like he continues onboard, so I'm curious to see exactly how that is going to work with him being an Admiral now.
    A solid outstanding vote from me.

James Swallow likes this.
  6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Very enjoyable book. After the first two of the Fall books which were rather lackluster, it's nice to see the arc finally take shape.
    Nice to see Thomas back. Like Ro he also seemed to have survived the Dominion. I hope we see him again later on.
    Lets hope the final part of the series is just as good.

Oz Trekkie and James Swallow like this.
  7. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Arise, dead thread, arise!

This month marks the 10th anniversary of my novel as part of The Fall miniseries, and I wrote a few words about it over on my blog today...

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Ten years? Damn.

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The bit about the name of the series is hilarious. I didn't know that.

James Swallow likes this.
  10. Una McCormack

Una McCormack Writer Red Shirt

True story! We were both, "Wow, great series title!" and everyone else was, "It's a season."

Sci, Kertrats47, Avro Arrow and 3 others like this.
  11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Two countries separated by a common language. I only recently learned that the British don't use "fall" as a synonym for "autumn" like Americans do.

12. Una McCormack

Una McCormack Writer Red Shirt

It's very beautiful: the fall. I assume it was in British English at some point but fell out of use.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting. I've always found it much more dull and prosaic than "autumn." I guess familiarity breeds contempt. (I'd say "the grass is always greener," but that seems seasonally inappropriate.)

Apparently so: https://www.etymonline.com/word/fall#etymonline_v_39095

Una McCormack likes this.
  14. Victoria

Victoria Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Fall" is still in use in the West Country (definitions of what that covers vary but I'm thinking mainly Somerset/Devon/Cornwall in this case) but would probably be regarded as a dialect word rather than as standard usage.