Nifty find today

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sakrysta, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Today I went to a local used bookstore in an attempt to find a copy of Paths of Disharmony. I didn't, (though they DID have other recent releases - I might try again in a week or two).

I DID find a few books I didn't have, including a pretty decent copy of Trek to Madworld for $.99. :D The best part was on the first page, though:

[​IMG]

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that's James Doohan's autograph. I know some of you guys collect Trek autographs - am I right?

2. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I'm no handwriting expert but, compared to the three items I have that were signed by James Doohan, your item looks to have the same signature.

My items were signed in person by Mr. Doohan so I know I have authentic signatures. Yours look to be the same.

3. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, that's Jimmy's signature. Congrats.

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

wow, i'm sure you could get quite a bit of money from that book, if you sold it to the right collector, especially if you could find out if the signature is authentic. Especially since Mr. Doohan is no longer with us.

5. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Yay! I'm not really interested in selling it. Well, I mean, I might for the right price, but I can't imagine his autograph is so rare that anyone would offer me serious money for it.

But I love finding these gems in used bookstores. I wish I could tell what printing it is - sometimes these older books aren't really clear in their notations. Still, Mr. Doohan's signature makes it worth having regardless of printing number. :techman:

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm a big Scotty fan so I'm pretty jealous of you. Although I actually have my own James Doohan signature along with Walter Koenig, George Takei, and Nichele Nichols. I got them at a convention they did in Tuscon (along with Chase Masterson) that I went to with my dad. (I think Chase Masterson was in Tuscon, or she might have been at the Phoenix con. I went to with my mom.)

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Jimmy Doohan was very generous with his autograph over the decades, but match your book to the right buyer and you could do well.

George Takei, who's been to Australia several times, used to have a policy of not stopping signing until even con guest was satisfied and had a personalised autograph. One year we had a very tongue-in-cheek, irreverent, charity auction - and auctioned off a photograph of George as Sulu that had not been signed by him, and it went for a fortune!

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Y'see, that's why I love Australians....