The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, most modern depictions of zombies are actually ghouls.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

In fact in "Night of..." I believe "ghouls" is what they're called by the TV/radio newscasts.

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not necessarily...the "zombie" would be more like the Voodoo kind (someone in a trance like state...like the Walkers, only not needing flesh to eat), rather than the Romero kind.

Personally, i would like to see a poster for George A Romero's Night of the Living Undead!

4. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The word "zombie" is used in dialogue once in Romero's Dawn of the Dead, spoken by Peter. And that film was also released in Europe under the title Zombi, which lead to Fulci making a faux-sequel called Zombi 2 - possibly better known to most as Zombie Flesh Eaters.

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Google knows everything.

6. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you're confused. No-one is debating the etymology of the word itself, rather it's use in zombie films.

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Understood. It's just interesting. It's funny that non of th characters don't use the word, "zombie," in TWD when the word is so pervasive in our culture and the characters are set in our timeframe. :confused:

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Trekker was questioning whether the word would even exist in a zombie film. Sort of like, "In the DCU, did anyone ever use the term 'Brainiac' before Superman ...?" But I think he changed his mind.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think you missed the part of the discussion about there being no xombie movies in the TWD setting, therefore the term would probably be fairly unknown.

10. Silvercrest

In the TWD universe, George Romero became famous for his social commentary veiled in horror movies ... about vampires.

Also, Anne Rice and "Twilight" became household words twenty years earlier than they did here.

11. Trekker4747

Yeah, it seems the word existed before the "invention" of the horror genre. But I'd still go with the word doesn't strictly "exist" in TWD universe where it might just be very, very obscure as it deals with ancient legends and folklore than as a movie/TV trope.

Kind of reading some on it I'm not sure "ghouls" fits the modern day depiction of zombies (including the Romero take on them) as "ghouls" seem to be non-humanoid entities or creatures whereas zombies are reanimated dead humans. Ghouls, at least in the NotLD, may have been a word that "best fit" what was going on while not being strictly accurate to the lore of them.

Whatever the case, "zombies" as a fictional concept do not exist in TWD universe and perhaps only as an obscure, ancient, legend. Perhaps the "zombie virus" has always existed and was responsible for those earlier legends and has recently mutated or became more virulent to the extent it is now. (Perhaps due to a society over reliant on antibiotics and near-sterile environments.) But, I do like in the show how every group has their own term for the zombies as it just makes it interesting how everyone has seen them and named them based on their behaviors.

Walkers, Biters, Lame-Brains, Geeks and other terms. It's a lot more fun than if everyone just called them "zombies."

12. Silvercrest

Yeah, that's pretty fun. Though is it my imagination or are we hearing less of that these days?

I had no idea the comic never called them "walkers", though.

13. Trekker4747

Yeah, the comic pretty strictly calls them zombies as I recall.

We still hear the term "Walker" from Rick and the group, the Governor and the group he met-up with still called them Biters, and the hippie couple we met on the week Carol was exiled had their own term for them too (don't recall what it was off hand.)

14. Silvercrest

I like Lame-Brain but I can't remember which group that came from.

15. Trekker4747

The two guys whom Rick, Glenn and Hershel dealt with in the bar after the Season 2 winter hiatus. They commented that Rick's calling them "Walkers" was more succinct.

16. Silvercrest

And "Lame-Brain" needs to be reserved for those two guys themselves!

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ghouls, as far as I know, are some kind of degenerate human species that eats dead bodies, usually by digging up graves-- basically clodhopper cannibals. Zombies are either entranced humans or reanimated corpses. Romero zombies are just a specific type of zombie. There was a Halloween special a couple of years ago on History Channel that showed that there actually is some precedent in folklore, including the Bible, I think, for Romero zombies. That was news to me; I thought he just made them up.

18. Trekker4747

Well, I think there's a pretty big event in The Bible about a reanimated corpse...

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That was resurrection, not reanimation. Plus which, he didn't consume human flesh. Quite the opposite, in fact. :rommie:

20. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Merry Christmas!
    [​IMG]