50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I think people will stop asking Chris Eccleston about Doctor Who after the 50th anniversary episode. It's an important event that will only come once. Eccleston just happens to be in the spotlight for another big production with Marvel at the same time DOTD is on peoples minds. That's why people are curious about his involvement in a show that most people recognize him for. After November though and when Capaldi takes up the reins for the show. I think people will stop asking Chris about DW.

2. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He had kind things to say about the production crew. Apparently we Americans really baby our television stars, as I've often heard Brits absolutely amazed at how they are treated on set in the States. There was an interview where he went on and on about how nice everyone on Heroes was to him, and how he'd never been offered so many cups of tea in his life.

Also, fun fact: They originally wanted him to play Sylar, but he didn't want to be a villian, so they created the conflicted Claude instead.

The show went into production chaos after the first season, and they never were able to get the funds or momentum to bring back most guest stars, and those they did they never knew what to do with. I've got a feeling Eccleston would have returned had he been asked, but they lost a lot of character stories (remember Peter's girlfriend lost in the alterna-future? Yeah, um...ooops!). They did mention Claude one more time in a later season, where a flashback to the early days had a guy mention that he just got tackled by an invisible man.

3. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

According to his "mantra", he shouldn't have. You know "bath water" and what not.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is the thing that bothers people about Eccleston the fact that he's not an actor because be wants to be famous and that he actually sticks to his beliefs? Or is it because he doesn't want to let a bunch of nerds on the Internet make his career choices for him?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So Sylar was almost the Doctor instead of Spock!

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Anyone know what this prequel is then? Could it be the much-vaunted McGann regeneration short?

8. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That'd be awesome, quite honestly. That said, the title Last Day is kinda intriguing... it could refering to the use of the Moment, and the destruction of the Time Lords and Daleks alike.

9. Christopher

Umm... wild guess... is that Cockney rhyming slang for "lies"?

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I suspect that's this year's Children In Need segment - there *is* a Dr Who segment on the show, as per usual - CiN is November 15th, so if they have a minisode prequel to TDOTD I wouldn't be surprised to see it be an extra on the DVD.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's part of Children in Need, it's going to more relevant to the general audience than Paul McGann. No offense to McGann, but the audience watching CiN would want to see Matt Smith in a Doctor Who clip, not a one-shot Doctor from seventeen years ago.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Much as I'm hoping this is McGann, I agree re your CiN point. But if its for CiN wouldn't they just call it the Children In Need episode?

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yep, I wouldn't expect to see McGann in it - note that the BBFC site linked to doesn't mention him.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Seriously, did he like kill your dog or something? You can't hate him so much just because he doesn't want to do Doctor Who anymore. It's gotten personal for you.

15. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

I thought it was a call back to the previous shorts.
    First Night, Last Night etc.

16. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

my eyes saw McGann but the reference to lying lead my brain to read Moffat :)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yup :)

It could be a CiN special that featured McGann, but I doubt it, and if it did it would likely have to feature Tennant and/or Smith as well given, as Allyn says, they wouldn't want to hang it on a Doctor who the majority have people have either never seen or have only seen once.

Timecrash was different because Davison is far more embedded in the viewer’s consciousness as the Doctor than McGann could ever be.

18. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

lease god, let it be a McGann minisode! :)

19. Christopher

Can't I buy one outright? ;)

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Depends on the god.