The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only example in that list that features a 'divergent' timeline is Yesterday's Enterprise, and that's debatable. As soon as the time travel incident occurred, we saw the current-day events transform immediately (war with the Klingons, etc). It was only due to Guinan's actions that the timeline (which I believe to be the same one) was restored (another example of a character feeling it's important to 'fix' it).

As for Sela being created as a byproduct, well, I figure that's another one of those 'the time traveler has been protected from changes in the timeline due to the nature of time traveling itself' incidents, like FC or City on the Edge of Forever. And Trek '09.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Yesterday's Enterprise shows us no less than three timelines. We have the timeline where Yar has been killed. We have the war timeline (created by the disappearance of the C at Narendra III). We have the timeline that leads to Sela. Our perspective from the camera suggests one timeline. Logic indicates otherwise. The timeline with a dead Yar CANNOT lead to the one that has Sela. The disappearance of the C creates a divergent timeline (into which it ends up--like what happens with Nero in the new movie). The C's return creates a third timeline--the one with Sela. That one is similar enough to the first one we see in the episode so as to appear the "restored one" but logically, it must be a third divergence. Time travel stories negate the linear mode of time that we think of in colloquial terms--we need to think of time travel stories in terms of results, not in terms of linear chronology from the perspective of the camera, if we want to examine the logical consequences of time travel. Or we can do what most people do--ignore the unsettling implications and simply enjoy the stories. The latter may be more pleasant, but in terms of logic, it is not necessarily (or even usually) correct.

3. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, we see three revisions of the same timeline. Otherwise, why would Guinan feel that the timeline she was in was 'wrong'?

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I'll let my fellow BBS member's post address this issue.

The relevant quotation from it is:

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know Anticitizen an argument could be made that Yesterday's Enterprise's War timeline is the proper timeline because the Enterprise-C's trip through time occured because of a phenomenon caused by their battle with the Romulans and that by sending it back they in fact changed history.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

The War timeline has a stronger claim to be the "correct" one than either of the other two we see. The C disappears in the original (as it is earlier in time than either the Yar is dead or Sela timelines), which creates the offshoot of the Yar is dead timeline. Then, when Yar goes back with the C, the C's arrival creates the Sela timeline, in which TNG moves forward.

7. Worf

Worf Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I finally got to see it on July 4th and I think it might be the best of all the Star Trek films!!! Yes I know, you are saying what took you so long???? I have no issues with the revised timeline and look forward to the next movie with this crew!!!

8. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Better late than never :)

Glad you had a good time!

9. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Went to see it again, liked it better the first time. Not that I would downgrade my rating it's just that when it's all fresh it's better for me anyway.

But again the final scene where Kirk IS captain makes you want the next adventure immediately, and we have to wait 2-3 years.

My friends that saw it with me for the first time, said there must be a sequel coming for this. :)

10. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

What did you think of the new actors playing Kirk, Spock, Bones Scotty Uhura

11. startrekrcks

I loved the new Trek movie it was so awesome

my favourite scenes
    When Kirk got the injection by Bones
    Scotty in the water tubes
    When Kirk became captain and said Bones Buckle Up
    I really didn't like that snow monster thought that was too Star Wars like
    The new Enterprise looks beautiful inside and out

what did you like about the latest Trek movie

12. trampledamage

Kirk getting all the shots from McCoy is hilarious! I love it when Kirk turns round and shouts "Stop it".

Scotty in the water tubes is another good scene - this one along with Scotty's attempt to put Kirk and Spock somewhere quiet on the Narada and they end up surrounded by Romulans - has put some of the danger back into transporting which is good, it all got a bit too convenient in the TV series.

I love all the new actors - I wish there had been time for more of Nero's story but that's really my only complaint.

13. startrekrcks

What did you think of the references

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

i thot they were kewl.

15. trampledamage

Play nicely with the other children, Dennis. ;)

16. startrekrcks

I think when Kirk became captain he was really Shatner like don't you think so

17. startrekrcks

I didn't see any problem with Kirk becoming captain so soon why do many people have a problem with that he did save his ship and his crew didn't he?

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I'm curious: you liked the comedy stuff, but what did you think of the opening sequence with the Kelvin, which I think is one of the best parts of the movie?

19. startrekrcks

I thought that was very well done I loved the whole film

20. startrekrcks

I am 21 and I absolutely love Star Trek and I am so happy with the way JJ Abrams made it fresh and modern for people that are younger and for the fans that were alive when it first came out in 1966 what did you think of this movie