The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, May 30, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Downloads for the week of Dec. 21:

Barenaked Ladies - "Hanukkah Blessings"
    Billy Squier - "Christmas is the Time To Say I Love You"
    The Pretenders - "Blue Christmas"

.99 cents each (160 points)

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Since my Xbox is offline until I get a wireless adapter, I have been without new songs for a while until I picked up the AC/DC pack for $20. A lot of fun. My only complaint is that on some of the songs with faster hi-hat work, you don't have the option of switching it to red notes. On songs like "Let There Be Rock", my right wrist just can't keep up a fast tempo for the song and I want to switch to alternate sticking. I might have to do that anyways just have to cross hands to hit the snare in an awkward manner.

Still, drumming "Back In Black" is awesome.

3. Aragorn

More downloads for the week of Dec. 21 (also, those X-Mas songs above should say 80 points each):

Foo Fighters

“DOA”
    “Times Like These”
    “This Is A Call”

$1.99 each (160 points)

4. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really excited for Pearl Jam's "Ten" in March!

5. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind some Blues songs...
    Even though i can't buy the songs for either RB or GH since i don't have a CC for the PSN...

6. Aragorn

Rumor has it we'll be getting some Roy Orbison in the new year.

7. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not a rumor - that has been confirmed by Harmonix on the RB forums. We're scheduled for a Roy Orbison 6-pack in early Jan. No details on songs yet. Can't wait to see what they're going to have in the pack though. Orbison will be most excellent.

Next week has some classic Deep Purple, James Gang and Jethro Tull, along with Snow Patrol.

8. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of Dec. 28:

Deep Purple - "Space Truckin'"
    James Gane - "Funk #49"
    Jethro Tull - "Hymn 43"
    Snow Patrol - "Take Back the City"

9. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of Jan. 4:

Roy Orbison Pack

"Claudette"
    "In Dreams"
    "Mean Woman Blues"
    "Oh, Pretty Woman"
    "Ooby Dooby"
    "You Got It"

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Zefram Cochrane will be pleased. :)

11. TheBrew

Two Things:

Circuit City sells the Wireless Les Pauls from GHIII for $20 (my fav guitar controller and I picked another one up).

I've unlocked Endless Setlist on RB2. Will now go make my fingers bleed and beat it on Xpert Guitar with my new Les Paul.

12. TheBrew

... and I fail because the power went out... :klingon:

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish I could afford some of the new tracks right now. Most of what is on Rock Band 2 is NOT fun to sing.

14. Brikar99

Oh sweet! I'll get those!

15. Aragorn

Complete Washington Post story.

The Battle of the Fake Bands
    By Mike Musgrove

The American people have an important and historic decision to make this holiday season: Guitar Hero World Tour or Rock Band 2?

Here's how it goes: Fork over about $180 at your local electronics store, and you get a large box. Inside are a drum kit and a guitar -- or, at least, video game controllers shaped as such -- along with a microphone and a game disc. Get a few friends together, and you can put together a fake rock band. Hit the right notes on the guitar controller and sing the right tones into the microphone, and you and your friends can briefly live a videogame version of the rock-and-roll dream.

I've played both quite a bit over the past few weeks and can say one thing for sure: They both offer pretty much the same kick, and neither is a dud. Beyond that, it gets a little more complicated.

One piece of good news for baffled holiday shoppers this year is that all the "instruments" included with both titles are wireless, except for the microphones. They're also all interoperable, meaning that you can use, for example, Guitar Hero's fake ax to play Rock Band, and vice versa. Naturally, some gamer snobs have gone so far as to buy both.

While Guitar Hero is more of a household name, Rock Band has had a year-long head start on the market as the first "full band" game, said Michael Pachter, a game industry analyst who figures that the two titles will divide the market fairly evenly in the coming year. "You can argue over whether this guitar is better or whether these drums are better, but at the end of the day you're doing the same thing and the music is similar," he said.

Rock Band's fans say the title has the clear advantage because of the amount of content available for download for people who want to expand their collections. Both game discs feature similar batches of songs from bands including Bon Jovi, Fleetwood Mac and Modest Mouse, but Rock Band has a wide library of 500 songs available for purchase online. Recent additions range from Jimmy Buffett to punk ditties from the Dead Kennedys; so far, Rock Band fans have bought 28 million tracks this way. Guitar Hero World Tour has only 41 licensed tracks for sale so far.

While Guitar Hero's online library of licensed content is far behind Rock Band's, Kai Huang, co-founder of Guitar Hero maker RedOctane, looks at the question of the song catalogues another way. Thanks to a new feature that lets users create and upload their own songs, there are 75,000 fan-created songs available for download. Whether they're any good is another matter, but the user-created songs have been downloaded 21 million times, according to the company.

16. mrcoaster

Ouch! What a bummer!

I've heard of that happening to a few people. Others tried to do the ESL online and had somebody drop out 2/3 of the way through. One guy had a friend who thought it would be funny to back out to the menu halfway through and kill the ESL run. I did the ESL on RB1, but I'm just not sure I want to spend the time doing the second one.

The Orbison tracks are all win-win. Some Jan 13 and Jan 20 tracks already were leaked a few days ago, too.

Jan 13
    Lenny Kravitz -
    Are You Gonna Go My Way
    Freedom Train
    Let Love Rule
    Mr. Cab Driver

Jan 20
    Steve Miller -
    Space Cowboy
    The Joker

I need to get back into playing on my tour. I've been mostly playing Quickplay and just jamming to tracks and playing lots of drums. Still trying to get used to playing with three cymbals and going back and forth between them and the pads.

17. Aragorn

Additional downloads for the week of Jan. 11:

Megasus - "Megasus"
    Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives - "Entangled"

18. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of Jan. 18:

Steve Miller Band Pack
    "Space Cowboy"
    "Take the Money and Run"
    "The Joker"

Godsmack - "I Stand Alone"
    Belly - "Feed the Tree"
    Ghost Hounds - "Wind Me Up"
    Mute Math - "Typical"
    Rob Zombie - "War Zone"

19. mrcoaster

There are a few of those that I'm getting, minus Zombie, Hounds and Godsmack.

I've probably had more fun playing the Orbison tracks recently than anything else. First time I sang "You Got It" I ended up with the #10 overall vocal score on the leaderboards. Woo-hoo! Though I still find myself just playing it for fun rather than worrying about scores.

20. Brikar99

Yeah the Orbison pack is really, really fun! Loving it!

This week I'll get Steve Miller Band and MAYBE Godsmack.