Read & Reread "Greater Than The Sum"- My Opinion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dayton3, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Dayton3, at the risk of inviting new criticism, might I suggest you try reading my first two Star Trek: The Next Generation novels, A Time to Kill and A Time to Heal. Based on some of the preferences you've stated, and your desire to see them incorporated into Star Trek fiction, I honestly think you might enjoy those two books.

2. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I think I'll do that.

Do you think getting accustomed to your style might help me enjoy the Destiny trilogy better as well?

For that matter, IIRC, I've read a portion of "A Time to Kill" but had to stop when I was beginning a new job and moved.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dayton3, how much Trek do you read? Because you seem to singling GTTS outfor stuff tha almost all of the Trek books do this stuff.

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I honestly don't know. I would hope that the trilogy would be compelling enough on its own merits that there would be no need for someone to acclimate themselves to "my style."

Well, if you still have it, give it a try. Some readers described it as "Tom Clancy-style Star Trek," so you might find it a better fit with your tastes.

5. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Thank you.

6. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I think my Trek book collection topped out at 250 before I got married.

It has slowed down a great deal since then.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

O0ok, I was gonna make a coment but I think we've pretty much covered what I want to say in other discussion.

8. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Out of interest, when did you stop collecting/reading regularly then? The books have changed considerably over the past few years.

Paul

9. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Since then I've seldom read more than six Trek books a year.

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

There's also, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

(Not that I think there's anything wrong with GTTS.)

11. CommanderTroi

CommanderTroi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ok now, this thread has Greater Than The Sum in the title so ...if it's the wrong thread please move my post to the right :rommie:

And while I just posted in another discussion here I wanted to say, write, that Greater Than The Sum was one of the most enjoyable Next Gen books I ever read! With Q&A and the A time to...series it's my favourite! The new characters are very likeable, I especially like Trys Chen, I had to laugh out loud about 'but you are Captain Picard so you know' (or similar;))scene. It finally felt as if this is going to be a crew there, not a bunch of people posted on the wrong ship. I was not particularly interested in the Borg this time, but you don't have to. There's plenty of things in this book apart from the Borg! What fascinated me in Star Trek from the beginning was that it was not important that it's in space, it has the Borg etc. but that it's about the people. And GTTS is about the crew of the Enterprise, the Liberated and this giant entity (I totally love that it takes the form of a dragon!) and their wish to find a place in this galaxy and to maybe leave something worthwhile behind...(sorry if this sounds confused, I just can't describe better). Please more books like this in the future *looks over to Destiny with anticipation*, and more Next Gen books by Mr. Bennett :D

Best wishes, Commander Troi

12. Chi'pok

Chi'pok Lieutenant Red Shirt

Christopher: I just wanted to say thank you. I enjoyed the book; really liked the Qian Long entity. I also enjoyed your other books (esp. Buried Age)

I have been reading Trek books since 1981, when Pocket started publishing them. In that time, 95% of the books I have read have been pretty good; interesting, challenging, thought provoking. I do have a few books I read and didn't really like, but that happens. I love my Trek books and am happy to support the authors. BTW, I want to mention that the Myriad Universes books are great reads! Christopher, "Places of Exile" was an interesting alternate take on Voyager; I enjoyed that too.

Again, thank you. :techman:

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Thanks to you both!

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Trek's case, that would be encapsulated by a book about Chinese food. Otherwise known as, Greater Than Dim Sum

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

:rommie::rommie::rommie:

OMG, that's a terrible pun but i really did LOL...

16. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

I started and finished reading this book today and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can't really find any faults, the story was great, the Borg where handled well, Qing Long was a very interesting entity, plenty of good development with Picard and Crusher and T'Ryssa is a great new character who I hope we'll see more of.

Greater Than the Sum is definitely one of the best Star Trek books I've read.

Charlie

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

18. rafterman1701

rafterman1701 Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed this one a lot. After the Borg portrayal in Resistance and Before Dishonor, I was happy to have them redeemed. I also liked how all the contradictory Borg information was brought together. Christopher knows his stuff and told a much better Borg story than the last two TNG got. I don't think it's his best book, but it's the best of the post Nemesis TNG stories.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I had to go on an unexpected trip yesterday and downloaded this to read - I must say it was rather enjoyable - however, I have to say I'm in the camp of people who didn't like T'Ryssa. It was like she'd wandered in from a Peter David novel. Hopefully she'll get used as a fuel source for the docking thrusters in a future adventure.

20. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

*quickly jotting down new Losing the Peace story idea*

Oh, wait, it was first mentioned on the boards...

*scratches out idea* :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.