Does anyone have the Stardate Collection Blu-rays? Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Shalashaska, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a new Trekkie/Trekker (someone please simply tell me the difference) after first seeing J. J. Abrams' Star Trek series of films. After that, I followed on with The Original Series, and I just finished Season 1 on Netflix a few days ago!

Anyway, since the Prime movies have been taken completely off of Netflix, I was thinking of planning ahead and buying the whole shebang with the Stardate Collection, which has movies I-X with commentaries and special features for each, as well as two discs for bonus content. And it's only €49 on Amazon.co.uk, which seems like a great price for everything included, especially considering I'd have to throw €115 out to get it in the local shops.

Should I pull the trigger? Anyone else have it and would recommend it?

2. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Re: Does anyone have the Stardate Collection Blu-rays? Are they worth

I have them, along with the special/directors edition dvds. The blurays have more extras with them and look great. Worth the purchase at the price you found, IMO.

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome to Star Trek! Always nice to meet a fan before they become cynical and bitter... ;)

I think the I-X collection is a great buy for any fan. There is inevitable debate about theatrical vs directors' cuts, but don't let that get in the way of enjoying Trek in high definition.
    (I have the DVDs, being too cheap/poor to upgrade, but they are the same release.)

Trekkie vs Trekker: the second term arose years ago because some fans felt the first term was a put-down. Most people don't worry about it too much, and just call themselves "fans".

_

4. Shalashaska

Wow. I was looking at Amazon.co.uk, and the price was now £25. I thought "lovely, I'll order these at the weekend for Christmas". I kept the tab open, and before heading off to bed, I refreshed the page once more. The price had gone up to £45. And since I'm Irish (we use Euros), it basically went from €35 to €65. A ****ing €30 increase out of the blue.

Thanks Amazon. Any reason why they did this? Will it change again? And no, it wasn't on sale then.

5. eyeresist

I think the price changes according to demand and availability. I've noticed that after I buy an unpopular item, its price goes up.

6. DrBeverly

DrBeverly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The price is now back to £25, so if you want them, I'd jump on them now! I just did :)

7. Shalashaska

Just saw that, thanks. Better snatch it quick.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some people had issues with some colors in TWOK I believe. It never bothered me. It's easy to spot that instead of true remasters like TNG was, these have just been digitally 'upscaled', I believe the term is. They still look good, though.

I do agree it would have been nice if they had been the director's editions, but oh well...

9. Pineapples101

Pineapples101 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Blu Ray set is an absolute steal at £25! I paid about £40 and thought that was good!

I have a few issues with the set. It is the theatrical versions of the films only - it would have been nice to have had the Directors Cuts / Editions of 1, 2 and 6 available via seamless branching. (Although with 1 they would probably have to have two separate discs)

Plus colour timing on 2 is a bit different to the previous releases and 6 has a lot of digital smoothing applied, so everyone looks like plasticine in certain scenes.

But these are just my AV nerd nitpicks. For the price it's a great set and for non-AV fanatics, it's perfectly acceptable.

And some of the new commentaries are really good. Especially the commentary on Insurrection with Frakes and Sirtis.
    Even if you are not especially into commentaries, you should give that a listen, it's legitimately hilarious!

10. Shalashaska

Didn't actually think it'd go that quick. I've been waiting for the price to drop back down to £25 for the last few days now, because I wasn't fast enough last time.

Ugh, why do they keep changing it?

11. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I beat you to it!

12. Shalashaska

It is a pretty fantastic price. I hope I don't regret sleeping on the last two price reductions and have to pay £45. Still cheap, but that's €30 more for me.

I don't mind the colour grading thing too much. I've never seen TWoK without the colour change, so I doubt it'll bother me much. I believe TFotR Extended on Blu-ray had the same problem, and I just picked up that set for Christmas. I wonder how that'll turn out.

One of the things that particularly drew me to the set was the commentaries on each movie. Nimoy and Shatner on The Voyage Home sounded like an especially fun one to listen to, even though I heard they go off-topic a lot :lol:

I'll make sure to give the Insurrection one a listen too when I pick it up.

13. Shalashaska

What do you mean? :lol:

14. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

15. eyeresist

I think the best commentary is the new Moore/Braga commentary for Generations. They are very honest and critical of the movie's problems, and also pretty funny.

16. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was one of their 'lightning deal's for Black Friday week. As the name suggests, the deals are only available for a few hours before going back to normal pricing... though most have popped up twice over the last week.

17. Shalashaska

[​IMG]

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I got the 10 movie Bluray set direct from Universals 'Zoom' outlet for £25 last week. I purchased the TNG and Enterprise Blurays and the DS9 DVD's. I got an extra 20% off everything with code 'SIGNUP20', which might still work :

http://www.zoom.co.uk

19. Shalashaska

Apparently, they don't ship to Ireland. Stardate Collection has been sold out for the last few days too.

Oh well, I'm still okay spending £45.