Dukat's Fate

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Nerys Ghemor, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's assume, at the beginning of this question, that we don't edit anything about how Dukat's downfall occurred, as I know some of you want to.

In that case--what do you think Dukat's ultimate fate really was, when he fell into the flames? We saw what happened to Sisko afterwards...what about Dukat?

And what about what the rest of the galaxy knows about Dukat? Will they ever know what happened? How would anyone know? What will Dukat's official status be, post-War?

2. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

Well, Dukat is posessed by Kosst Amojan, and Amojan is re-imprisioned in the Fire Caves. The Sisko is not killed, he goes to have non-linear montage sequences with the wormhole aliens. So what about Dukat? My guess is his body is destroyed.

I am guessing that Pah Wraiths have no more use for Dukat so his body burns up just like Kai Winn.

But the aliens in the wormhole do have more uses for the Sisko, if only to have more understanding of this concept of linear time. That's why he was the Emissary. He isn't an emissary from the prophets to Bajor, he is the emissary from linear-minded people to a race of non-linear-minded aliens.

I think that people will know that the Reckoning did happen, but I don't know if they will realize Dukat's role in it. Certainly the Cardassians are busy with far more difficult matters. Their homeworld is in shambles, and their population is decimated. The people who Garak saved, the dissidents who believe in democracy, will return to establish a New Cardassia that might someday equal the highly developed civilization Picard refers to in "Chain of Command".

Dukat is dead. Kosst Amojan, the Pah Wraith, endures but he is imprisoned. The book of Kosst Amojan is destroyed. Perhaps in a thousand years someone else will try to free the Pah Wraiths again. But not Dukat. He's dead, Jim.

3. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with Snakes - I figure Dukat the man died. Assuming some kind of personality exchange/sharing with the Pah Wraith who possessed him - which I think is a reasonable assumption, given Dukat - that part of him will continue to exist as long as the Pah Wraith has consciousness, but Dukat as we knew him died.

Sometimes I think I have too literal of a mind to be a true scifi fan, though. I see him falling into flame, and I think "death."

4. snakespeare

I just checked myself at memory-alpha. I should have written "Pah-wraiths" with a hyphen and refered to "the" Kosst Amojan.

5. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Well, Dukat died after Winn poisoned him as a sacrifice,(lets dwell upon the irony of the Traitor being betrayed) and the Pah-Wraith's used the corpse as a host for the Kosst Amojan.

So Dukat was long dead by the time Sisko realized that the Fire Caves had been opened. What remained was merely a vessel and was burned in the fire. (although the scenario that JK outlined could have been the case, in which case in a thousand years...:devil:)

As for the Cardassians I would imagine that Dukat would be tried in absenta for treason and would be marked for death (along with Gul Revok, the Founder and each and every Weyoun clone). Poor old Macet would have a really difficult few years of course.

I guess everyone else will assume that Dukat is in hiding waiting to return. Perhaps he will become an evil legend on Bajor?

6. JustKate

^ Did she really? Jeez, I don't remember that at all. I've been rewatching the series for the first time since it went off the air, but what with one thing and other (she said, glaring around at her office), I'm only into season 2.

7. Thor Damar

^Oops, my bad for spoiling that:alienblush:.

8. JustKate

Thor, old chum, the show's been over for more than a decade. If I've been spoiled, it's the fault of my hit-or-miss memory, not you.

9. Thor Damar

Shockingly there are still many people who have not seen the greatness that is Deep Space Nine:cardie:. So I should not spoil the wonder that is DS9.

So, do I qualify as a diehard Niner then?

10. JustKate

^ You know, I think maaaaaaaybe you do. Maybe. ;)

11. snakespeare

I don't think a thread called "Dukat's Fate" would be entered by someone who is worried about spoilers.

12. Thor Damar

I know, I know but I must obey Nerd etiquette after all;)

13. JustKate

:rommie::lol::guffaw::rommie::guffaw::lol::guffaw:

Because even six smilies weren't quite enough. "Nerd etiquette" - that means saying "please" and "thank you" in Klingon, right? Oh, and keeping your Romulan costume clean by using a napkin on your lap?

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given Winn is missing you would think they would check out her residence and that is probably slimy with Dukat's DNA. So they would be able to put him on Bajor and maybe tie him to the missing Winn, probably say he kidnap and killed her. Also if they bother to check the firecaves they would find more DNA. Not sure what happened to the poison goblet but if they find that they might come to the conclusion Dukat is dead given his dirty hands and spit are all over it.

15. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

well, sisko's body probably didn't do any better than dukat's in the fire, but he has no use of it as a wormhole resident alien, anyway. for prophets as well as pah-wraiths has time no meaning, i'm not sure serving time imprisoned is a penalty at all. wasn't it stated that the pah-wraiths were imprisoned for the first time 20,000 years ago to the caves, so the necronomicon of kosst amojan must be somewhat older? was there not plenty of time to destroy the thing earlier?

16. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm...interesting point about the Kai's residence. Now, I am not sure about DNA evidence in the Fire Caves, given the fire and weird energies we saw in there, but that is an interesting pint.

One question...when surgery of the sort that Dukat got is done, though, are there genetic alterations or no?

Also...do you think there are any recording devices that would've caught Dukat's voice? THAT is something I have a feeling would be recognized. (Example--do you think he was in any public areas on DS9 where a voiceprint could've been captured?)

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but unfortunatley, Amazon's Kindle put a damper on that with electronic book distribution. These days, any religious zealot or angry teenager can summon Cthulu or Pah Wraiths or some other such blood-curdling nonsense.

18. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If there were they weren't enough to prevent Solbor from using his DNA to identify him as not only a Cardassian but Dukat.

It must have been a matter of how it was destroyed. The book was magical.

19. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, if it's a matter of physical body being dead - Sisko's is as dead as Dukat's. So if Sisko is not considered dead and can come back in relaunch novels, I don't see where that certainty that Dukat is dead comes from.

My guess is that Dukat is officially considered disappeared. As for his actual fate, it is wide open.

20. snakespeare

Sisko's body wasn't poisoned like Dukat's had been. But I haven't read Unity.
    Do they say that he was in the wormhole with a physical form? If so, did they snatch him up before he reached the flames? Or was he in the wormhole without physical form so he had to somehow make a new body to come home?