THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

No, it isn't. It makes no sense storywise because it fundamentally changes what the Battle of Five Armies is all about. And even with all his alleged cinematic excess, Jackson would never go that route.

2. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

His "alleged" excess?

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Aye. Some of us (and by "us" I am referring to me, myself and I) don't necessarily see it that way. :p

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I agree with Peter Jackson's reasoning for changing the subtitle (whether it was recently or when the three-film was made) so I have no problem with it. Besides, "There and Back Again" already got its in-reference in Lord of the Rings.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

And it's got absolutely nothing to do with battles drawing more random people into the theatre then something as "wimpy" as "There and back again" :rolleyes:

It's a cheap marketing ploy promising a big battle and it's also a big spoiler in the very title itself (for the many people who actually didn't read the books and don't spoil themselves on the internet).

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's no more a spoiler than "Return of the King."

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

or "The Empire Strikes Back" or "The Return of the Jedi".

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I honestly believe it has nothing to do with that. I think it's the most fitting title for what will take up the bulk of the movie (assuming it's inappropriate to name the story after the Necromancer part instead of the Bilbo part).

I expect the battle to be seen in the trailers anyway. Would you prefer the trailer to only cover the first 15 minutes of the film?

9. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Both movies have been as boring as shit. Hopefully the third film will redeem itself but the story is just so dull. It would be fine if they were 2 hour movies but they draaaaag horrendously.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that. The first movie perhaps could have been trimmed down quite a bit (to be honest I actually enjoyed the opening sequence in Bag End, more than most it seems), but I thought the second movie was pretty entertaining from start to finish.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've liked them well enough, but the problem I have is that I care way more about the Galdalf/Necromancer stuff than anything Bilbo has been doing. The Dwarves' story just isn't all that interesting.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that's my thoughts too. I thought the first movie needed five minutes trimmed from nearly every scene. The second one seemed well-paced from beginning to end.

13. Skywalker

Warner Bros. has released the official synopsis:
    I also read that the first trailer has been rated, so hopefully that means we'll get to see it soon. With Comic-Con only ten days away, I won't be surprised if they make us wait until then. :(

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Comic-Con does seem to be the most popular theory for the trailer at the moment.

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

So how many years until the inevitable LotR reboot?

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Take it easy, they first need to do a special (20th?) anniversary 3D post-converted edition with all-new, re-done CGI. All in given time.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

LotR should never be remade. What would you possibly gain from a remake?

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Money? Lots and lots of Money?

19. Skywalker

I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros. tries to squeeze out more movies as long as they have the film rights. I still fully expect them to try and make a movie about Aragorn in his younger days.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

They can't - they only have the film rights to LotR and The Hobbit, not Middle-Earth and its characters as a whole, and Christopher Tolkien ain't selling. They could probably remake those two/four books, but they won't, for obvious reasons. (A 3D conversion, OTOH, seems like a no-brainer.)

It was reported for a while that Jackson and Co. wanted to make two prequel movies - The Hobbit, plus a "bridge" movie filling in the rest of the time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the WB lawyers said the bridge movie was a no-go, thus compelling them to over-stuff The Hobbit beyond what they'd originally planned, and the rest is a history of wild, wild snowballing.