How much does watching VOY as a kid affect people's opinions?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TalkieToaster, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd hope it's a point, god help the women on his planet if it looks like a cork screw.

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it!
    Only thing missing is Chakotay and his ass crack from "Tattoo".:lol:

3. Guy Gardener

I didn't say I didn't like it.

But how long will this one last?

A week, maybe a month?

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will last until the Xmas season when the glorious Janeway Madonna will return. In 5 days.

5. Guy Gardener

This is why men don't see women's haircuts.

Assuming it's new, is safer than calculating if it's new.

6. teacake

It is distracting to think someone new and exciting has shown up only to realize it's that same old same old person.

Every time someone changes their avatar to a pic of Shatner I think OMG HE HAS DIED!

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Voyager first run maybe starting in the 4th season when I was in middle school. I REALLY enjoyed it until I started getting older and realizing how terrible some of the episodes were. There are still some great ones, though.

8. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

TNG was just finishing up when I got into Trek in 1994. I was 12 at the time. So Next Gen was the first one I grew up watching.

I was 13 when VOY premiered, and I loved it. I literally grew up with DS9 and VOY as the shows went on. I still have a soft spot for Voyager and think fans tend to be too harsh to it. The show obviously has flaws, but I think there are a lot of great episodes, too, to balance it out.

I had no idea there was so much hate for the series, until I got on sites like this one. There isn't any Trek series I hate, they all have great episodes. Voyager and Enterprise have their flaws, but so does every ST series.

31 now , and I have all 6 shows and all 12 movies on DVD

9. Guy Gardener

No you misunderstand.

It's Voyager who hates us.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think that hate might be to strong a word, sure there might be some who hate it. But I think a lot of people who rate VOY lower than some of the other ST shows, were just disappointed in it.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Voyager started when I was 12, and when it first started, I thought it was awesome.

I quit the show briefly in season 3. In fact, I thought I had seen every Voyager episode when it aired but I had never actually seen Warlord and Darkling until my most recent rewatch.

It won me back and Seven kept me watching the rest of the show's run. Late in the run I was a huge defender of the show and I ranked it second behind TNG. Now I would say, if you only take the best third of the episodes, it's a great show, but it has a huge amount of absolute stinkers and a lot of missed opportunities.

If I was watching it for the first time now I would probably think a lot less of it.

But I would probably still consider it better than most of the shows on television, but just hold it to a higher standard because it is called Star Trek.

12. teacake

If I was watching it for the first time right now I would be thinking.. "oh my, who IS this woman playing the Captain she is HOT oh wow.."

And then when we got to 7 I would have loved her as a character, deeply.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager was my teen years (10 to 16) so yeah my opinion of it was affected by it being the first series I could really comprehend. It was some good years, mainly Seasons 1-6 (Didn't really like Season 7 all that much).

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Voyager is the only Star Trek besides TOS that didn't take itself so damn seriously all the time. Voyager has inspired some really dramatic fanfic - and also some really fun stuff, too (such as Seven's experiments with making real vodka in a clandestine still in Cargo Bay 2...).

15. teacake

Yeah the fandom itself is fun! And very lively..

16. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw Voyager and every Trek series but TOS as either a young adult or adult--and Enterprise, which I watched a few episodes of and rejected as garbage (gad is Bakula BAD). But I have never understood why so many Trek fans dislike Voyager. As a number of other people have written, or at least implied in this thread, these characters felt like family. Maybe it was the premise of the series; alone in the Delta quadrant, they were huddled together against enemies at every turn, and by extension, you were huddled there with them. The actors were good enough to make me feel that.

Plus, as the series progressed, I really came to enjoy any Tuvok moment they'd give me. The best Vulcan since Spock.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Can I admit that the whole concept of people "watching Voyager as a kid" kinda freaks me out?

Voyager was the one of those new Trek shows, right? The ones that started long after I grew up and went to work . . ..

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sorry, old man. :p

19. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched it as a kid (11-17 it was on television) and I hated it. I much preferred Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. The characters seemed wooden to me. I hated the set designs growing up. I thought Janeway was the weakest Captain I had ever seen, and I grew up in a matriarchal household. Mom was the disciplinarian and the final word on everything. Chakotay was my favorite because of my small amount of Native American blood. I was very spiritual, so I had a lot of hopes for the character.

I was skeptical when I tried watching all the seasons as an adult. I got through the fifth, and I don't remember what episode it was, but I found it incredibly tedious and a chore to watch. Not willing to waste another second on it, I took it back to the library and I haven't watched an episode since then. As an adult, I realize it relied on familiar faces, characters, and story-arcs to get through the show. They added very little to the Star Trek tapestry. My favorite season, upon reflection, was season 1. They actually did something with the Maquis. Harvesting organs was an interesting idea. Jetrel was a complex villian. The Doctor was just stretching his legs. I really walked away from the first season feeling like this could be better than expected. It wasn't. If felt like 5 years of Generations. They give you the book on someone and they spend the rest of the time with the character just reliving what they already told you. There aren't added layers to it at all. It wasn't interesting and I didn't get lost in it.

Before you say "well, you were skeptical, of course you hated it," I watched episodes of TNG I HATED growing up and came away pleasantly surprised, surprised enough that I wanted to continue re-sampling the rest of the show to see what I missed as a boy watching the show. No such experience with Voyager. I have dubbed it "pop culture Trek." Trek that is just popular, nothing original. Like a fan poll was in charge of breaking the season.

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Someday, someone will come along and say they loved those Underworld books as a kid.:p