Smallville 8x07 "Identity" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILER>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Oct 30, 2008.

?

Grade 8x07 "Identity"

1. SUPER

37.1%
  2. Above Average

48.6%
  3. Average

11.4%
  4. Below Average

2.9%
  5. BIZARRO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    The end was a shocker! Chloe, like the Queen song, "Death on Two Legs!" Whoa! I rated the ep "average." Liked how Clark got Oliver out of his funk.

But is anyone sick of Tess yet? She's a lukewarm version of Lex -- or should I say, putting lipstick on Lex doesn't make her Lex! I would've loved it if they figured a way to put Darkseid in Smallville. Like Zod taking over Lex, or like how in the comics, Doctor Bedlam can project his mind into other bodies. Imagine a Mr. Darkside of Apokolips Inc., acquiring Luthorcorp in a hostile takeover.

Red Ranger

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Don't count him out yet... That's all I'm saying.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

ChloeIAC!

4. Red Ranger

OK, I'll keep watching! -- RR

5. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

I'm hoping Chloe is going insane and that Clark will have to reluctantly kill her ... or put her in the Phantom Zone forever. (Well, if anyone ever IS in the Phantom Zone forever).

--Ted

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Red blur... you used to wear a red jacket... You're Red Blur Man!"

Wouldn't Clark have been better off getting Bart instead of Oliver? Since, you know, he can actually do the speed thing?

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they bring him on I think they should base him on the Dark Side Club storyline. I think that would probably be the easiest way to bring him into the Smallville universe and save money by keeping it in Metropolis.

8. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Reply to Aragorn:
    ^Shhhh! You're making sense! ;)

9. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Let's see.. we got Chloe Sullivan the liar who can't be honest with her soon to be HUSBAND! We got Chloe Sullivan the MURDERER! And I know the excuses will fly about brainiac but quite frankly Brainiac WOULD NOT go out of his way to protect Clark like that.

Overalla pretty darn good epeisode though. I'm really enjoying the season though I still think it lacks something big without the Luthors.

On another note it REALLY annoys me when they go out of their way to put down the abilities and uch of other heroes. I have WAY more respect for a Batman or Green Arrow type that actually REALLY risk their lives every time they suit up than a pretty much indestructible superhero. It takes WAY more courage and guts to do what Ollie does that what Clark does.

10. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK I just watched it on DVR (God I hate working nights!!!) and I gotta say WOW!!! I loved it for the ending alone. I wish I could have watched with you guys, I really enjoy being able to watch and crack jokes with you folks at the same time. I'm glad I bought this laptop. Any way next week looks awesome as well and I have the night off!!! Also I was thinking about who else they could bring in as a "bad" guy. How about Lobo? Some super powered biker dude could be funny. I always enjoyed Supes and him trading insults in the comics and on Justice League. Just a thought.

11. Red Ranger

Ha! I really enjoyed Lobo's appearances on the Superman cartoon -- Brad Garrett's voice alone as "the main man" was priceless. But in live action, who could play him? Maybe Randy "Macho Man" Savage! -- RR

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't think it was supposed to be Brainiac in the strictest sense.

As I said before, it seems that Chloe is beginning to show signs of schizophrenia. It's almost as if the Brainiac "program" (if you will) is slowling overwriting her subconscious. And, as for now, all it can do is redirect her moral compass.

Or, the other thing is they could simply be going for the tired "absolute power corrupts" motif which I alluded to before with the Dark Willow comparison. You know, ever the side kick but gets a taste of real power and wants to go play in the Bullies' sandbox.

No kidding. They lost the two best actors on the show and replaced them with more model-turned-actor-wannabes.

Well the drama in Superman isn't supposed to be about him risking his life or any of that. Unfortunately, the Smallville people usually fail to grasp that concept. Non the less, there have been several times over the run of the show where Clark legitimately put his life on the line to save someone. And I don't mean with the krypto-freaks of the week either.

13. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

Chloe has switched on the 'Automatic Updates for Brainiac' feature. I suspect a 'Service Pack' download is just over the horizon. :evil:

In truth, I knew that guy was dead as soon as I saw Chloe wearing black gloves. Still, very good episode. I'm enjoying Season 8 very much.

14. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

I thought it was above average. A lot of character driven moments with Clark/Chloe/Jimmy and Clark/Ollie. The ending with Chloe really blew me away! A very nice twist in the storyline!

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anybody realize this? Even if he didn't get his name yet or hasn't shown his face Superman has entered Smallville world! The world knows about him now!
    When was the last time Smallville did something that moved the show so much toward the general Superman mythos?

16. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Actually, she just installed Brainiac Vista ... and look at the results.

--Ted

17. This episode was great. Smallville has really improved.

They've really dived headfirst into the Superman mythos. While they are neatly sidestepping the Clark/Superman/recognizing thing by making Superman be in the shadows, everything else is there. Clark and Lois dynamic, Jimmy, Superman villains, the only thing missing is Lex, but in a weird way, without Lex to take so much of the spotlight, it gives stuff like the Clark/Lois romance, Jimmy/Clark/Lois trio, the secret identity, etc etc room to breathe.

By ditching Lana, and moving Clark to Metropolis,

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

If you have so many problems with the show why do you still watch it?

19. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^I was asking myself that question for s6.5 thru 7.

20. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah sick of Tess.

Here's what I wish they'd done:

That assistant of Lex's last season, that was crushing on him and wanted it to be "we" and was knowing too much? Bring her back in charge this season.

WTF? you say? But Lex killed her? YES! Lex has a whole lab with clones somewhere. Whenever his assistant gets too upity, he can kill her, modify the program that sleep teaches the clones, and get a new one. The assistant can be Tess Mercer 2.0, 2.1, etc etc.

And don't tell us what's going on. Throughout the season she can get really obviously torn to shreds a couple times, and then be good as new the next ep. Keep us in the dark and let us figure it out.

It would have been totally the kind of thing Lex would do, it would be freaky sci fi, and I kind of liked the assistant last year, even though I can't remember her name.