So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

well, I got all 3 books for about a Dollar, and I haven't bought new SW books for years - the only ones I really liked over the years had been Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy and "second" Thrawn (Past/Future) Duology, Shadows of the Empire, Cloak of Deception and CW: Shatterpoint...

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

not read it. the last SW books i bought were the Republic Commando series and Imperial Commando. i pretty much gave up after NJO and only got the RC books cuz i had the RC game.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started on the 2nd Ring of Fire anthology by Eric Flint (amongst others) this morning.

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron; also reading Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, Book 6) by Richelle Mead. I just finished Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. :D

5. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    About halfway through an early Voyager novel called 'The Escape'. So far so good..

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Hm, not sure what I'm in the mood for next...

7. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just finished Enterprise: The First Adventure. Was kinda "meh." Not exactly the most thrilling first adventure i'd imagine for Kirk and his crew.
    Just starting My Brother's Keeper: Republic.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

last night i finished VGD Precipice, so i'm now on to Declassified.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've got a zillion manuscripts to write cover copy for, so I'm not going to have any free reading for a while . . . .

10. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally I'm currently enjoying TrekBBS: The Great Collection. Hey, gotta count for something, right?

11. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished A Time to Love. It was all right, kind of plodding, but ultimately fairly quick. I wish it focused more on Riker in a deeper way. Alas. Now onto to A Time to Hate

12. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder, how quickly do our esteemed authors tend to read the new Trek novel releases?

13. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I suspect that the esteemed authors spend some time reading, some time doing research, and some time doing writing -- when they are not engaged in day-to-day activities -- and, perhaps promoting books. I spotted three books at a nearby thrift store: DS9 Millenium Trilogy. Is it good enough that I should go purchase it quickly? I went to Memory Alpha and see that it does deal with Endgame scenarios. Besides going through "Sword of Damocles" (Titan), I am reading "The Efficient Society (Why Canada Is As Close to Utopia As It Gets)" by Joseph Heath (2001) and "Private Desires, Political Action" by Michael Laver (1997). At the thrift store, I did purchase "Chaos" by James Gleick (1987) which might be a bit dated though probably a good read. Finished Season Two of DS9 and getting ready for Season Three.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  14. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

I finished the DS9 novel Station Rage. I am now in the middle of Raise the Dawn. Excellent read thus far.

15. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I would snatch up the Milennium books if I were you. Used DS9 and Voyager books can be hard to come by - especially in good condition.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Started STTP: Plagues of Night this morning.

17. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I know not everyone loves it, but Millennium is one of my favorites. I also count as the first story in my DS9-R reading list because of two aspects of the frame story. If they're in good condition, do snatch them up right away. Can't recommend it more.

18. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Reading Robert Heinlein's Menace from Earth....

(It's very, very tedious...)

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have three books lined up to read. Hopefully this will take me through July.

1. Helliconia (Omnibus) by Brian Aldiss
    2. Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg
    3. A Maze of Death by Philip K. Dick

I've never read anything by any of these authors, so I'm excited.

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

A Judge Dredd book, The Final Cut by Matthew Smith (no relation to the Eleventh Doctor)

(plus lots of other stuff for work - MR James, Egyptology, etc - but it's the "book for relaxation" I list here)