Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I was delighted to run into Leslie Parrish again while watching a Mannix episode yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was crazy bout her back then. Such a beauty!

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

A threefer on the ep of It Takes a Thief I watched for lunch today! LORD Garth and Stonn interrogate Commodore Mendez!

[​IMG]

Alice_27 and Shaka Zulu like this.
  3. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The beautiful Barbara Anderson (Lenore Karidian from "Conscience of the King") was the nurse that helped Steve Austin make the adjustment to his bionics in "The Six Million Dollar Man" pilot movie.

[​IMG]

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

She can adjust my bionics any time!

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The oh-so-lovely Mrs. Khan as the wife of a Latin American dictator in The Man From UNCLE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a very strange moment, her husband referred to her as "my beloved wife" in exactly the same tone and accent that Montalban would use around 15 years later!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

One time I was watching an old Man From UNCLE episode, and this fellow showed up in a still photograph:

[​IMG]

He later shows up again, in the flesh, looking much younger:

[​IMG]

James Doohan in "The Bridge of Lions Affair".

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's interesting to compare actors in old-age makeup with how they look when they really do get old. The makeup artists rarely come anywhere near the truth. The only thing that photo has in common with the real older James Doohan is the moustache.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've often noted that too. But I wonder how much of this is due to the cosmetic procedures nearly everyone in show business has done these days. Facials, chemical peels, face lifts, hair dye, wigs, hormone therapies... we have no idea what aging actors would really look like without all the work being done.

9. Christopher

^I really don't think that applies to how James Doohan looked in the '80s and early '90s. The reason is that people's faces change shape as they age, often due to weight gain, sometimes due to weight loss. Age makeup rarely incorporates weight-gain makeup as well, which is why Shatner and Doohan aged so differently in reality than they did in "The Deadly Years" (or The Man from U.N.C.L.E.).

And of course the voice also changes with age, something else that actors have a hard time faking. Shatner's voice is much deeper now than it was in the '60s, in contrast to "The Deadly Years" where he put on a higher-pitched "old man" voice.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

Ah, but you missed the fact that Leslie Parrish actually wore her very same Apollo-created gown in the MANNIX episode, "The Girl In The Frame":

In MANNIX:
    [​IMG]

In STAR TREK:
    [​IMG]

Harry

Shaka Zulu and QuantumMechanic like this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

Mr. Stiles (Paul Comi) flying a different type of craft in 12 O'CLOCK HIGH:
    [​IMG]

K-7 Station Manager Lurry (Whit Bissell) as an informer in WWII France in 12 O'CLOCK HIGH:
    [​IMG]

Losira (Lee Meriwether) meets Gary Seven (Robert Lansing) in 12 O'CLOCK HIGH, while Dr. Swain from THE TIME TUNNEL looks on:
    [​IMG]

Harry

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

Dr. McCoy show up briefly in THE FUGITIVE:
    [​IMG]

Harry

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Excellent!
    I saw Leslie int he Apollo dress on Mannix, I just failed to remember to get a screen cap.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Lee Meriwether! A threefer in a 3rd season Mannix I just watched - Barbara Babcock, Lee, and um, whassisname fro Bread and Circusses.

[​IMG]

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. Christopher

^Logan Ramsey.

Come to think of it, Mannix was the third and final series that came out of Herb Solow's efforts to get Desilu into the hourlong-drama business again, after Star Trek and Mission: Impossible. So it's no wonder they had so many guest stars in common, and no wonder that Parrish reused the Carolyn Palamas dress.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

A Sutton Roley-directed episode! You can tell by the reflection of Mannix in his sideview mirror as Lee Meriwether drives by. Roley was very inventive with odd angles and shots.

Harry

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yes, there were some very clever shots in this episode. Flashbacks were especially clever - a character would walk across the shot as she began telling the story, and her head would act as an in-camera wipe to the flashback, revealing the past event behind her, then her past self would do the same thing in the flashback, revealing the present behind her in the wipe. Required some good in-camera planning to have the actress in two different makeups and probably a stand-in as well to complete the shot.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Logan Ramsey

Speaking of which, woke up last night, turned the tube on - which was tuned to Turner Classic Movies - and the infamous Monkee movie, Head was on, and Ramsey was in that as an LA cop in one one of the many dream/LSD trip segments...

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  19. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Wonder if Joe D' Agosta did the casting for that - which seems likely...and I also wonder if Parrish herself remembered the costume, when the script suggested a 'sexy wrap around' dress...

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  20. Christopher

Yes, he did. He did all the Desilu shows from that period -- The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy, Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, and Mannix. He also did Roddenberry's first show, The Lieutenant, which was from MGM.

Hard to say. Would she have wanted to wear it again, given how much tape it would've had to be stuck to her skin with and how carefully she probably had to move in it? Anyway, it strikes me as the sort of thing that would've been the costume supervisor's responsibility, not the actress's.

Anyway, the Mannix episode aired only 6 months after "Who Mourns for Adonais?", so somebody in the costume department may have remembered the dress. The costumers for the different Desilu shows may have worked in the same offices or workspaces, or used some of the same assistants, or something, so the folks over on Mannix may have known about the Palamas dress when it was made (it certainly would've left an impression) and remembered it when Parrish was cast for Mannix.

This makes me wonder if any other Trek costumes have shown up in other TV shows. Maybe we need a spinoff thread for "Trek costumes in maybe surprising roles."

Shaka Zulu likes this.