DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Admiral_Young

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I shed no tears for Scott Lobdell's Teen Titans. Hopefully someone with some actual talent can relaunch the book, now.

5. theenglish

I agree. I read the first three or four issues before dropping it along with Hawkman. My issue is with the practice of just cancelling the series...why not rework the title with a new creative team? Aquaman was successful because of Johns not because the character is inherently appealing, for example.

Teen Titans, Hawkman, Legion, and others could probably have been saved if DC had wanted to do so--it takes as much effort to promote a redirection as it does a relaunch.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it would require them taking a risk and giving them to newer talent instead of using the old tired out writers such as Levitz or Lobdell.

7. theenglish

HEAVEN FORBID!!!

Anybody remember Lee's comment about how they weren't going to F*** this up?

8. Admiral_Young

Two issues in and "Justice League 3000" has been underwhelming so far. I'm on the verge of dropping it. The Porter art is good, and the concept is kind of interesting, but I dunno. Something is missing with this book. I wanted to like this, but I'm not. I don't see how this is supposed to be a "better option" than the Legion of Superheroes either. This seems like a completely revamped 31st Century as well, which kind of was expected, but things are still vague and Cadmus focused. The most interesting characters in this book are these new "Wonder Twins".

9. Hound of UIster

The new directions for Justice League and Justice League Canada sound exciting.

10. Admiral_Young

^ I'm excited for Lex on Justice League and Justice League United as well too.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Random guess - 'The Five' are going to versions of the LSH.

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's easier to promote a new direction when you have a new #1, though. "Trust us, issue #44 might've been shit, but #45 is amazing!" is not an easy sell, I suspect. Andrew Wheeler at Comics Alliance did a pretty compelling article about the needs for #1s a few months ago: http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-dc-relaunch-marvel-now-new-52/

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's to stop them from every issue being #1?

14. theenglish

We're close know. It seems that every major story arc gets a new number one. Justice League United, for example.

But it isn't number 1 issues that keep people coming back, and word of mouth spreads quickly. If #45 is good and the next few issues are as well then your audience is back for #50.

15. Hound of UIster

Word of mouth is overrated.

More people will buy #1s.

Creative team changes are things that only comic book nerds (people like us) care about.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If #45 is good, and it's the first one I've read, I will be COMPELLED to buy the first 44 and all cross overs... However, why the frakk would I put myself in such a ridiculous situation? Why put myself in the the predicament of possibly chosing wrong between more comics or paying my rent?

17. theenglish

There was a time when issues like #50, #75 and #100 actually meant something. Publicity around those issues was important. Now comics don't even reach 30 or 40 issues.

I am sure there are other ways to get hype a book rather than just starting at 1 again. Why does Justice League United need to restart JLA at #1 for example? Why not just change the title of the book?

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Because if you change it to Justice League United #14, then the uninitiated will be wondering what happened to issues #1-13.

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never understood this argument, especially in the age of the internet.

Were people confused in the 80's when The Fury of Firestorm The Nuclear Man changed to Firestorm the Nuclear Man, and then to just simply Firestorm during it's 100 issue run?

Did people back then go rummaging through their comic store's bins looking for Adventures of Superman #'s 1-423 and then become even more confused when they couldn't find them, but Superman, which had a new #1 issue, also had up to issue 423, which had been published recently?

What about fans of Justice League, which became Justice League International with issue #7 and then Justice League America with issue #26, just as Justice League Europe launched?

Hell, nowadays, the change from Flash to The Flash between issues #100 and #101 back in '95 would be cause to relaunch the title at #1.

20. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the other hand, there's nothing actually wrong with renumbering besides the fact that it makes nerds get all pissy.