Who would you like to portray the 12th doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Oct 6, 2012.

1. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. I had no earthly idea who Matt Smith was before he turned up wearing David Tennant's suit, but damn if he didn't own the role. As for what characteristics I'd look for, I think that the most important trait is the ability to be both whimsical and show the kind of world-weariness that belies the apparent age of the actor.

Oh, and there's zero chance that the next Doctor will be played by an older actor.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I think the next actor will be older than Matt Smith...of course how much older is the question :)

4. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

I am kind of fond of Rowan Atkinson's Ninth Doctor in "The Curse of the Fatal Death," perhaps he could take on the role within the canon.

Seriously though, while we are expecting, is there any idea of how long Matt Smith might be willing/allowed to keep the role? I'm not saying I do or do not want a new Doctor, but if my understanding of the series is correct, the Doctor has been in his Eleventh form a lot more than any of his regenerated forms.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The eleventh Doctor is one of the Doctor's longest-living incarnations. The tenth Doctor is, oddly, one of the shortest. (The shortest living is probably the fifth, though anyone who believes that "Rose" is a post-regeneration story would argue that the ninth is the shortest living Doctor.) However, that the Doctor has lived for several hundred years in this particular body is no reason for Smith to leave -- or for the BBC to force him out.

Smith's contract was reportedly for three series with an option for two more. That would mean his contract would be up either before or with the Anniversary special. (The confusion is that it's not clear if the Anniversary special is, in production and commissioning terms, part of the seventh series or not.) If he and the BBC exercise the option, then he would be around for two more series.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I can't see Matt Smith walking away before the 50th Anniversary, and I can't see BBC not doing everything in their power to keep him until at least the 50th Anniversary.

This close to the 50th Anniversary, I think it would be a mistake to have a new Doctor prior to it. New Doctors always go through a period where the audience needs to let go of the previous Doctor and accept the new one, and I think it would hurt the impact of the Anniversary to burden it with that adjustment period? Of course, they could always make The Anniversary be the end of the line for Matt Smith and bring in the next Doctor at the end of it

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Patrick Stewart does voiceovers in car rental commercials and does random skits on The Daily Show. I'm sure he's pretty flexible. I think the guy just genuinely loves to act.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we've all gone off the deep end with Doctor suggestions. Not only are a lot of these guys of questionable availability but a lot of them are quite questionable in just how much they actually reflect the Doctor himself. :)

9. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ways things are going, why don't they get Justin Bieber are some other teenage star to play the doctor.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I like Stewart, but The Doctor? I'm not sure, unless he played it a bit like Pertwee. And of course presuming Stewart was even interested in taking on a hard working gig that'll eat into his theatre work.

Smith will be around till after the anniversary, I suspect not long after the anniversary though, but into 2014.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

How many of them will be unavailable in two or three year's time? And there's been some questionable choices in the past to play the part that's for sure.

12. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Karl Urban.

13. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Sharlto Copely

14. Mr. Adventure

Patrick Stewart is older than Colin Baker, Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy...currently.

Hey, we're all having fun, I presented a rather unlikely option myself, just saying some of the options have been a bit of a lark.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

If you're suggesting that age makes a person a questionable choice than I can't agree.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i think patrick stewart would make a good flashback-first doctor, just give him a swept back wig

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't think he's saying that, he's making the point that given Stewart is in his early seventies now in 2/3 years time he'll be about 75, and however good shape he's in, I've heard Smith, Tennant and Eccleson comment on how tiring a filming schedule Who is. There's no way a man in his mid seventies could handle it.

And bear in mind that at 75 he'd be 20 years older than Hartnell was when he took the role!

18. Mr. Adventure

Yeah, I'm talking about the likelihood of it, not saying it would be iabsolutely impossible or undesirable. Though I'm still not convinced of how Doctory Stewart is. Again, I have no problem suggesting different actors, just noting that some of the choices have been fanciful. <Seinfeld>Not that there's anything wrong with that...</Seinfeld>

(BTW I love Patrick Stewart)

And back to fun:

Watching too many episodes of An Idiot Abroad marathon, we could have Ricky Gervais as a mad Doctor, Steve Merchant as a socially awkward Doctor and Karl Pilkington could be a Doctor that could blow Dalek's tops through his bizarre thought patterns. "Wait! What? That does not make..EXPLAIN!!!!"

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Shudder!

20. Mr. Adventure

^ just Pilkie or all three? :)