Farscape or Babylon 5?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it should be capitalised, I just forgot to do it. As for the pregnancy, it does seem important. I really can't say anything after it only being around 2 episodes, I just thought it was used as a bit of a cop out in Till the Blood Runs Clear. It is an interesting concept (I use the word interesting a lot, I should get a thesaurus :rommie:) and I think they'll get it right, although I'm not sure if it will finsih off in Season 1 or continue.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, at this point in the series, I can imagine it being difficult to see Moya as much more than just a ship. A living ship, yes, but still just a ship. Soon enough, though, you should come to view her as a character all her own, and her pregnancy and later events will carry some more weight.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

At this point in both shows, that doesn't surprise me. It will be very interesting to see how your opinions develop later on, though.

4. kirk55555

Rhapsody in Blue (Farscape) - A fairly good episode that gives more of Zhaan's backstory. It does make me wonder how hard it is to get star charts. Its a galaxy with a bunch of spacefaring civilizations, yet no one seems to know where they are or where they're going :rommie: It was cool to learn more about Zhaan and her species, and her going a bit crazy was done well. They did the alien effects well, although it was a bit weird to see some of her species with hair, I had just assumed they were bald.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, there's a reason they call it the Uncharted Territories.

6. kirk55555

Yeah, I know. I just figured someone entering the uncharted regions would have figured out someway back to where they came from :lol:. Its not a problem or anything, its just kind of funny.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If memory serves (and it probably doesn't) only way they know how to get back to Hyneria or Delvia is right through Peacekeeper space. They wanted a route that'd actually work.

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Is there an official Farscape Map somewhere?

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I doubt it. It's not that kind of show.
    ^That's pretty much it I think. Plus as I recall Peacekeeper territory is *huge* so getting around it is no easy feat. I may be misremembering but I think there's also something about starburst that makes navigation difficult. I think Pilot has to recalculate their position after every jump and since they're in uncharted space to begin with, it's not hard to get lost.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, it's damn near impossible to plot a starburst jump. When you starburst, you end up somewhere totally random.

11. kirk55555

The War Prayer (Babylon 5) - This episode was about an anti-alien human group attacking aliens on Babylon 5. They attack a friend of one of the ambassadors, and the command crew have to find out who is behind the attacks. I liked this episode. It was kind of predictable (I guessed that the 1st officer's friend was involved with the group as soon as he was introduced) but that didn't make it bad. I liked the part with Londo realising that he was wrong about the two teens who didn't want arranged marriages (I also like him describing his wifes :rommie:). I thought the alien ambassador in the suit was an energy alien (since you see him glowing behind the screen when he was first shown) and he might still be, but I'm interested to see what isd up with him, which I assume they will get too (even if its not this season).

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Londo's wives - :lol: Wouldn't it be great if they turned up at some point?!

Kosh - Couldn't possibly comment.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

"My Shoes Are too Tight and I have Forgotten How To Dance"

Yes, you will be thrown a tid bit here and there about Kosh as the Series progresses

14. kirk55555

The Flax (Farscape) - I liked this episode. John and aeryn get trapped in something called the flax while Aeryn is teaching John to drive the shuttle/pod. It traps them there, and cuts off communication, so they send out a message pod to get help. On the ship, Zhaan, D'Argo and Rygel meet a scavenger who tells D'Argo he knows where a ship is that could give him the maps to get home. Around this time they get the pod from John/Aeryn, so D'argo goes with the scavenger to pick them up, after getting the maps before the ship with the maps is destroyed. Eventually, it comes down to D'Argo having to choose between the maps and John/aeryn (theres a bit in between, but I don't want t summarize the whole episode). He decides to save them, catching them in a compromising position in a very funny scene. Another funny scene happens at the end, where the scavager

who looks like a guy is revealed to be the woman of his species, and she's in love with D'argo. Its a funny scene, especially since D'Argo is shocked and doesn't really know what to say

I liked this episode, it had a good blend of seriousness and humor.

And the Sky Full of Stars - I enjoyed this episode. I was sure the guys searching the commander's mind would be wrong, but they were on to something. This episode has made me very curious, what did happen to the commander? How was the ambassador involved? Why would he have to die if he knew? I hope its brought up again this season.

Deathwalker - This was a decent episode. It raises some questions, like why do 5 species get one vote a piece in the B5 council, but a whole group of aliens only get one vote together, and why does it seem like all of the earth politicians are corrupt, but overall I liked the episode. I don't know what the suited ambassador was doing to the psi corps woman, but contract or not if she was stupid enough to hang around once the images started appearing (which was obviously connected to the ambassador and the guy) then its her own fault if her memories get used against her later. I knew Deathwalker was going to get killed, no way were the writers going to have an "immortality serum" exist in the universe, it was just a matter of who would kill her. I'm surprised the suited ambassador could kill her and not get in trouble, his species must be powerful, because if earth had done that, they would have probably started a fight.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The "suited ambassador" is called Kosh.

I think you are touching on some interesting things, and I think you will be very happy to know that all of your questions have answers.

16. kirk55555

I'm glad my questions have answers. As for Kosh, I should have remembered his name, or atleast googled it, but I'm sure it will stick with me eventually. It usually takes me a few episodes to remember a characters name, so I'll probably have his remembered soon :rommie:

17. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

We are all Kosh.

18. Sindatur

The Gathering Original pilot, introduces the idea of a "Hole in Sinclair's Mind", so if one starts with that, that's floating in their mind until this episode confirms he does have one.

The images with Talia, Kosh and The VCR did have a purpose, but, unfortunately this was one thing that didn't actually play out. We can tell you what was up once you get to the end of S2.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

RE: Council votes. The big five powers (Earth Alliance, Minbari Federation, Centauri Republic, Narn Regime & Vorlon Empire) each get a vote because, well, they're the most powerful governments in the galaxy and they helped bank-roll the Babylon Project.

If it seems a little unfair or unbalanced it's probably because it is. Keep in mind though, that all the governments on B5 signed off on this system, mostly because just being there gives them orders of magnitude more influence, more say in galactic affairs and more trade opportunities then they'd have on their own. Without B5 they'd have to go on depending on foreign embassies and diplomatic missions to dozens of alien homeworlds, which few could ever afford to maintain.

The League of Non-Aligned Worlds is made up of fairly minor powers; some (like the Drazi) are bigger than others, but most only have a handful of colonies, not much in the way of military strength or economic influence. Basically they're the galactic equivalent of third world countries. The league's membership isn't even very stable as the smaller governments are prone to border disputes, shifting alliances and political spats. Not the kind of bodies that can be trusted with a vote or veto of their own.

Oh and yeah, the Vorlons more or less do as they please. A lot of this was established in the pilot movie, but basically of all the major governments, they're by far the most reclusive and secretive. Very little is know about them. Biology, motivations, society, technology: all complete blanks. Nobody has ever seen one of them outside of their encounter suits, no one has ever been to their homeworld and no ship has ever entered their territory (which is *huge*) and returned. All that the other races know is that they're powerful, very secretive and that they don't take much interest in the affairs of other races. That they agreed to send an Ambassador to B5 at all was a bit of a coup. Indeed, it's set up pretty early that they're one of the *big* mysteries of the show and I look forward to seeing you have it unfold for the first time. ;)

Some friendly advice: under no circumstances should you look up Kosh, or indeed anything do do with the show. There are *massive* spoilers out there and I'd hate for anyone to have the surprise(s) spoilt for them.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  20. Sindatur

About the Council Votes, Yea, what Reverend said.

The Big 5 are all Republics, Empires etc, so, for all intents and purposes represent multiple Worlds. The League of non-Aligned Worlds are just that, individuals not aligned, so, together they form the equivalent of an Empire, Republic, etc