STAR TREK CONTINUES — NEW FAN FILM WEB SERIES

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Ryan Thomas Riddle, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like there's another fan web series in the works based on the original STAR TREK from the folks at Farragut Films called STAR TREK CONTINUES.

They just announced their cast this weekend. Take a look. Looks like some heavy hitters with anime English-dub voice actors Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn as Kirk and Spock respectively. There's also James Doohan's son, Chris, playing Scotty as well as Grant Imahara from Mythbusters as Sulu.

Looks like an interesting cast. Hopefully, they'll be telling interesting and dynamic stories that not only harken back to TOS, but also challenge our preconceived notions of the STAR TREK format, the STAR TREK formula.

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Interesting!

3. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

It'll be good to see more Trek - but, man, a 54 year old playing the TOS 34 year old Kirk? That's kinda pushing it...

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

SULU: I knew he would.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

While the cast is interesting, I'm more interested in seeing who'll be contributing scripts and who'll be overseeing their creation. As I stated in this post in the Fan Film Writer's Primer, a good Story Editor can make all the difference in the world.

The key will be in the performance. After all, audiences are willing to believe a 40-something year old James Cawley as Kirk and were willing to believe Shatner, who was pushing 40 during TOS, as the 34-year-old starship commander.

I'm more interested in how the role is played by any actor, even Shatner, than how old that actor is. Moreover, I'm more interested in an actor who isn't Shatner and playing Kirk that he doesn't merely imitate Shatner, much like Chris Pine's excellent approach to the character in ST 09.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  6. Kelso

That guy looks to be holding up pretty well. I think it'll be fine.

Oh, I agree with you, of course. My enthusiastic interest is based on the information that is currently available. ;)

7. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

As far as casting goes, I don't see a problem with age. I would never guess to look at Vic that he was 54, as he looks between 38-43 to me.

8. PattyW

It's not a matter of looks, per se. Whether someone looks young because of clean living and good DNA or facelifts and hairplugs - the sad fact is that as we age the way our body's move becomes different: something time in a gym doesn't really address. (watch Shatner's acting in "Deadly Years" to study this)...maybe Vic can pull it off. I'm just saying it's "pushing it" and he'll have to work hard to do it.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

John Broughton and the Farragut crew are a talented, hard-working and decent crew who've built an admirable operation over the last seven years or so while remaining good friends with one another and most everyone they work with - not really easy to do. I wish them well with this.

10. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

The cast looks very good - great to get Chris Doohan, he looks like his father!! And Vic looks good as Kirk.

They have a full replica of the Desilu soundstage and apparantly all the actors are pros.

I love Phse II so don't expect me to take sides, but they have experience with Farragut, so it'll be interesting to judge the final product.

11. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Vic has a history of playing Kirk in Fan Films... Here's an exerpt from my webpage on his previous Star Trek Fan Film work:

My page: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/32.html, ...
    Vic's Vintage Voyages (all appear to be silent, 8mm film, with sound added later. I'm thinking Vic is Kirk.). First 3 are solo:
    1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8_26_Y1Ck (0:42)
    2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjZCeHWV_0 (0:59)
    3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hHaNhKnIo (2:40)
    Now we get a crew:
    4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7ujfwBCoc (3:16)
    5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI_sE8fl864 (3:04)

(See my page for a more recent outing...)

I am trying to get the exact year this was done for my Historic Fan Film section. If he's 54, this HAS to be the late 1960s, which means I REALLY NEED A DATE ON THESE. PLEASE!!! SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!

By the way, I noted this coming series last January at the bottom of my Farragut page, vis: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/22.html

12. Danlav05

13. Kelso

LOL! These are fantastic!

IMDB says that he was born August 27, 1962, which would make him 49. These films were likely shot in the early/mid 70's.

14. Danlav05

One very cool opportunity down the line would be a full-fledged Enterprise/Farragut teamup - TNG/DSN/VOY never really took up such an opportunity.

It could be even like part 1 a Farragut episode and part 2 a Continues episode as a few US network shows have done, with characters appearing in both

15. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

But it claims, above, that he is 54... which would make these earlier... I NEED A REAL ACTUAL YEAR. Here is my "Historic Star Trek Fan Film" page, and these clearly belong: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/204.html . All the films already listed have at least a year or a two year span. As you can clearly see, the earliest film I found is, like these, in 8mm WITH NO SOUND. Of course, my folks NEVER got a sound camera, but if these films were taken before Super8 got popular, these could easily pre-date Ray Gasser's work, perhaps even challenge Jr. Star Trek,... perhaps even 8mm Star Trek ... for the title of VERY FIRST STAR TREK FAN FILM EVER. At any event, for purposes of my Historic listing, I want more than a guess.

16. PattyW

His birth certificate says he's 54. Anyone can put info on IMDb so someone made an error, apparently.

I would ask Vic himself what years those films were made: he's quite open to talking to people on FB and the like.

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner was 35 when Trek premiered and 34 when he shot WNMHGB. That's not exactly "pushing 40." Kirk's age was only mentioned in The Deadly Years, and he could quite well have screwed that information up like he did "Gamma Hydra II." Even if he didn't, it was still only a 2 year difference.

Play on, fellas.

18. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Hopefully, they will have an episode involving a robot of some type so that Grant Imahara can build them something really nifty.

19. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

^ How about another Andrea? :drool:

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought he was 38 at the time of TOS. I should've double checked my math with his birthdate. My bad. Thanks for the 411!