Spock's line *Major Major Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jon1701, May 10, 2013.

1. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That bit made me jump it was so close

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I laughed at "Kha-a-a-a-n!" because I enjoyed it.

I don't have any difficulty feeling the same empathy for these guys I did for the old guys in 1982 - hell, most decent movies with any emotional content that I see feature characters that I've never seen before and never will see again. Besides, it's still Kirk and Spock.

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

It's funny because I had teary eyes with Kirk's death and then at the same time I had a smile from ear to ear when Spock yelled KHAAAAAAAAN.

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was over the top. Even for a Vulcan with emotion problems. Honestly, it was over the top when Mr. Shatner did it. OTOH I really liked Pine's anguish over losing his father figure. People sob in real life, and in Trek when there's loss, it is often very muted, like Shatner's "Klingon bastards. . ." which seemed too muted for the loss of a son. Although I Shatner he was aiming for "stunned."

YMMV

Edit: WOW: just read this upstream:

"The problem for me is we don't have an 15-year attachment to these actors playing these characters--including Kahn--to make it as dramatic as they wanted it to be. Not only was the magic of the original three because of the way the stories were written and how the actors portrayed them, but the time we have known them. We have only known these actors playing these characters for three years. To try to remotely mirror the effect of the original actors, even in 1982, just doesn't work." - Captain 59

I thought that last night as I left the theater. Man, I LOVE those characters and actors who were my childhood friends and heroes. These current ones? Not so much. Spock dying in 1982 was AWFUL. Then MY Enterprise in '84! Plus you didn't know Spock was coming back, in TWOK. WAY more dramatic than last night.

[I thought they might let Pine die at the end for cool storytelling (nope!) and go "Searching" for him next movie.]

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah.

I know I've told this story too often but on opening night of TWOK in '82, when Irradiated Spock gives Kirk the IDIC hand sign through the glass, my friend leaned over to me and said "Live Long And Phosphor." I completely broke up laughing.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, most people when I went to see it were tearing up at Kirk's death and didn't laugh or deride 'the line' at all, they all took it seriously.

7. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And all this time, I actually thought the ship shown crashing in the water in the trailers was the Enterprise... It turned out to be the Vengeance....

Kirk would've died in vain though if the Enterprise did crash due to a collision with a falling Vengeance...

8. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Saw the film (fantastic by the way) and I saw the line: All right I didn't like it, I thought it was kinda silly, but not for the reason you may think, no, it was silly because of Zach Quinto's voice. I expected a growl and a roar, not the kinda wimpy, weak voice we got.

9. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I appreciate the nods to us older fans but most of the time it just cheapens it. I mean when nu spock says '' The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one'' it had none of the depth, was nowhere near as poiniant as when prime spock said it.

10. Seska

Seska Lieutenant Red Shirt

I totally giggled when it happened, like just about everybody else in the packed theater. Let's face it, though. It's not really the same line unless it echoes repeatedly in the bowels of Regula. And speaking of Regula, how and why does Carol Marcus speak with an accent? That's the real mystery to me.

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I must ask, and this is as someone who loves the TWOK and that scene, to those in the theater in 1982, how was the Khannnnnn moment received? Was it supposed to be a fuck ya clap your hands this is great moment? Or was it received in a way where people were completely focused on the drama. If you really think about that scene, it's pretty strange, especially when it's echoing out into space. That's why it's probably such a tongue in cheek joke now.

12. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I thought it worked well. Yeah, a bit cheesy, but here's the thing. Spock is the strong, silent type. Seeing Kirk die right in front of him, filled him with anger and determination to go and get Khan. Yelling a little helped demonstrate how angry he was becoming.

13. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My absolutely only complaint with this movie are the scenes that mirror Space Seed or TWOK. It's a great movie and IMHO I think it would have been better if they kept everything as it, but made Harrison someone other than Khan.

Even if you just give him another name and left him as an augment, they could have still contacted Spock prime, just generalize to augment and then Spock prime could still warn against the augments and pay tribute to Khan. They could have even thrown in a reference to Erik Soong from Enterprise.

I was actually okay with the engineering death scene for the most part too, but make it less of a rip off of TWOK. Just eliminate the screen, or at least do it at a point that makes more sense and isn't seen coming from a mile away.

I left the theater disappointed, I wanted to love the film, but felt like I was cheated, because as soon as we knew about Harrison's blood about 75% of the rest of the film was given away.

That said, I want to repeat that I like the movie in general, but I'm going back to see it again in hopes that I'll enjoy it more now that I'm not expecting a completely original storyline.

14. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Spocks line *Major Major Spoilers*

There's gonna be a second one? WHY?

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Actually 3, the sequels are filming back to back and coming out 6 months apart.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Because people all over the world liked it so much that it became the most successful film in history.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I once commented that I couldn't see Pine pulling off the yell and well, Quinto pulled it off pretty well to me. What turned me off more than anything was Kirk's resurrection because superhuman DNA can cure death by radiation poisoning. It just took any substance out of the scene and cheapened it. Once again the reset button was pushed.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cheapened it a ton! Leave him dead for at least the end of a flick. Then, I guess you have to do some kaatra bs in movie 3. I really thought he would die for a while. Whatever. Just a brief detour. I also thought Chekov might bite the big one b/c of red shirt. Speaking of which, Scotty doesn't have an associate chief to take over?

19. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not the most successful when you adjust for inflation and modern ticket prices. It's in the top 20 though.

20. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

It really was weird and unnecessary. People laughed and it wasn't a scene you were supposed to laugh at.