Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The increase in detailing is stunning.

Is the dome on the nose going to glow, as it does some of the early artwork?

2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please tell me that you're not going to tear this down and start from scratch?

It's gorgeous.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That really is a beauty!

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Beautiful! One nit to pick regarding the cargo doors: mini-van doors slide back on tracks built into the outer wall of the vehicle, but this design has a "trench" of sorts where said tracks should be if I'm understanding your description correctly. Are said tracks part of the last round of detailing? Alternately, the doors could just be hinged and swing open like ... well, like doors. The way it's shown here it looks like they are really hinged and they swing open away from the central axis, rather than slide like a mini-van door. Just curious what you had in mind for this...

--Alex

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Very nice ship. :cool:

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Better and better; I can't wait to get it flying. :)

It is...and please, we just finished principal photography on the movie; I'd have a nervous breakdown if Vektor started over now. :lol:

7. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fore and aft domes will retain their glow, I just haven't included it in the paint-over yet.

I'm not going to tear this down and start from scratch. ;)

I was wondering if anyone would ask that question. Perhaps the mini-van door analogy was a poor one. Imagine something more like the glide rails used for cabinet drawers or the keyboard shelf on your computer desk. In the closed position, I imagine there are also latches that grab the door and pull it tight against the frame for an air-tight seal.

I did consider doing a hinged door and I even drew up a version of it, but it just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons.

Don't worry, as I said to Tallguy, there will be no starting over on this one. These sketches are all paint-overs of the existing 3D model with lots of added detail but virtually no significant structural changes. In fact, the main reason I switched to doing paint-overs was to refine those details without having to rebuild whole sections of the 3D model over and over again as I have previously done with the Grandeur, for example, at the cost of ridiculous amounts of time and effort.

And yes, I know that's a lesson I should have learned a long time ago. Old dogs and all that. ;)

8. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I'll be in my bunk!!

9. Vektor

What do you think, too much orange stripeyness?

[​IMG]

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Especially considering the big use of orange in the paint-job, I think the original purple 'plasma' hues on the domes would be brilliant.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I like the stripeyness!

12. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

No, more.

[​IMG]

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I love the stripes as they are. They remind me of the sort of circa 1980 graphical style we all love from Star Wars, Buck Rogers, and Battlestar Galactica. I love it! It's prefectly appropriate since there are bits meant to pay homage to Forbidden Planet (the registry at least), and I love that it alludes to other sci-fi greats of the last century.

I wouldn't change the stripes at all. The color and placements are all spot-on perfect.

--Alex

14. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

THIS.

15. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the color of the stripes, and the placement along the fuselage looks perfect, but I think the instincts driving you to seek advice from your fellow inmates are correct. There's something about the stripe on the sail ... like it's too wide. It makes the ship look small. Maybe two parallel stripes that are thinner? Or pin-striping around some of the details?

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the stripes as they are.

The ship is small, compared to most of these things. It's bigger than Serenity and the Millenium Falcon, but smaller than any Trek ship I can think of other than maybe the Defiant.

17. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

I say chrome the whole thing and airbrush some flames on it. LOL

All kidding aside, this is one of my favorite ships I've ever seen posted here. It has a unique design that you've put a lot of thought into. Both in functionality and paying homage to some great sci-fi of the 20th century. And your detailing work as of late has been outstanding. Now, enough stills, let's see that baby in action! :-)

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^"as of late"???? Vektor has always been the king of detail.

19. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Very, very true. I was strictly referring to the detail he recently added to this particular model. :-)

20. Vektor

Last one for this weekend. Added detailing, panel lines, more saturated blues, and an alternate name and registry scheme.

[​IMG]

I know the name and registry are a bit flashy by usual military standards, but remember that Polaris began life as a civilian exploration vessel before joining up with the United Worlds navy. I figure they just didn't bother with a new paint job as part of the refit other than slapping on a new registry number.

By the way, the new scheme was partly inspired by aircraft conventions in which ID numbers generally appear on the tail and names, if any, appear on the nose.