Favorite Mirror Universe Episode?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Melakon, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

As a footnote, even though "Mirror, Mirror" was filmed when racial tension in the United States was at its heigth, there is no racism shown in the episode.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah, I never noticed any racism either. Though it was cool that the Vulcans seemed to have a mafia aura about them.

The mirror universe concept was something that simply couldn't hold up under scrutiny. Which is why I think only Mirror, Mirror really works.

3. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

"Mirror, Mirror", "Crossover", and "In a Mirror, Darkly" are the good MU episodes.

"Through the Looking Glass" and "Shattered Mirror" were still kind of okay, but started to get silly.

"Resurrection" and "The Emperor's New Cloak" were atrocious.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

"Mirror, Mirror" is arguably the best. "Crossover" is very good. "In a Mirror, Darkly" is hilarious fanwank. All the others are basically Trek doing Star Wars, right?

5. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Well, Star Wars... with lesbians!

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's like Santa and Jesus made a sandwich especially for us.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

A good line though, does show up in "Emperor's New Cloak".

Ezri: I'm trying to save your lives.
    Zek (in background): That's a very worthy goal!

8. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Mirror, Mirror" and IAMD are my faves as well. You can check out my model of a scene from the latter,

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd396/EmsleyWyatt/mirror darkly/

Also, favorable comments re the Duane novel. I've thought about a series eaqsily summarised as "Star Trek meets Sliders" in which a future Enterprise (maybe thr "G") jumps from universe to universe. At some point they encounter their counterparts from a "mirror universe" where the Terran Empire never fell.

9. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

DS9's mirror episodes were painfully cheesy, in no small part due to Nana Visitor/Kira; but also due to the fact that they seemed to focus more on entertaining the actors (IIRC, they all loved shooting those eps) than the audience.

"In a Mirror, Darkly", on the other hand, was an interesting take.
    Don't remember "Mirror, Mirror"; long time no ToS.

So, "In a Mirror, Darkly".

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Mirror, Mirror is definitely my favorite, w/ IoMD in close second. I absolutely loved how they changed Enterprise's intro of the historical space exploration montage to an historical space conquering montage, as if it was being broadcast in the mirror universe that we were all living in. I thought it was a really nice touch. Parenthetically, I do believe we're actually living in the mirror universe right now, BTW. :evil:

And even though I really like DS9, I really never cared for their take on the MU.

11. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

My favorite MU episodes are In A Mirror Darkly, Parts 1 and 2. A close second are Through The Looking Glass and Shattered Mirror for their emotional depth. Don't get me wrong, Mirror, Mirror is a great episode, but it lacks the depth of TTLG and SM.

12. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

I didn't care too much for DS9's bastardization of the mirror universe with throwing the DS9 elements into the forefront of being on control of it.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You mentioned Yesterday's Enterprise in the OP, do alternate timelines count as mirror universes?

I'm not a huge fan of DS9's mirror universe episodes, I would have to say the original TOS ones. I mean, he puts Chekov in the 'Excruciation chamber'. Thanks to that episode, I forever get to say the words 'Excruciation chamber'!

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually liked "In a Mirror, Darkly" better than the original "Mirror, Mirror".

15. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Agreed

"In A Mirror, Darkly" from the mirror/alternative intro, to the ending with the hot evil Hoshi taking command is quality.

"Mirror, Mirror" for me, after all these years, just seems a bit tame, a bit tired.

16. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Its always puzzled me why the Halkans arent evil in the mirror universe, maybe your speculation is in fact the reason.
    They were controlling it from the beginning :cool:

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, humanity is pretty much the only species that is actually different in the mirror universe. Other species, such as the Klingons, Cardassians, etc. are the same.

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Mirror, Mirror and In a Mirror Darkly. Both are excellent representations of the Mirror Universe.

DS9 is too much of a niche style setting o do an effective Mirror Universe story. Crossover was ok because it showed consequences of Mirror, Mirror. However after that it just got stupid and silly. Try to contort the Mirror U's premise to fit the tiny niche of DS9 didn't amount to anything.

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

˙ǝsɹǝʌıun ɹoɹɹıɯ ǝɥʇ uı ǝʇıɹʍ ʎǝɥʇ ʍoɥ sı sıɥʇ

20. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

The other ones are progressivly horrid, and largely pointless.

The exposition speech that Kira gives in "through the looking glass" about the uprising of Spock and "if anyone should come over from the other side again" is terrible. Makes me cringe every time. :barf: