iOS 7

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Captrek, Sep 20, 2013.

?

What's your first impression of iOS 7? (public poll)

1. Big improvement

25.9%
  2. Small improvement

18.5%
  3. Six of one...

33.3%
  4. Step in the wrong direction

14.8%
  5. Disaster

3.7%
  6. Haven't used, or need more time to decide

3.7%
  1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

First impressions of the new iOS?

Personally I'm finding it less attractive and less intuitive than its predecessor. I miss Steve. :(

2. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like it. Dumping skeuomorphic design was a good idea. Some interface designers were already leaning that way. For example, some video switcher software tries to look like a real control surface, with the shading and lighting effects of those plastic buttons. That compromises the legibility. Blackmagic Design's software interface, for example, is very clean and looks much like iOS 7.

The swipe upward control center is a plus—I like it better than the Home button double-tap. I'm still learning the new gestures and features. The "zooming" effects might be a bit too spectacular—zipping in an out of apps and folders. Wear a seatbelt.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, aside from a few design aspects that I don't like (namely the color scheme for text messaging), it's fine. I don't really notice a huge difference in the way that it works.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I like it, I've already got the hang of most of it on my iphone and ipod, looks and performs better than 6 to me.

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I voted Step in Right Direction. While I like a majority of it, there are several changes I genuinely hate. The biggest is the change in the calendar, which I use a lot.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like iOS7 a lot. Love the no-frills design.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The app icons are mostly terrible, and the control center/quick settings menu feels like they never quite got around to polishing it up. It is overall a massive improvement visually though. Some of the transition animations could do with being about 30-50% faster. They look nice, but they add a slightly frustrating delay when you're hopping back and forth between various apps and screens quickly.

My iPhone isn't a daily driver though, just a hand-me down I mostly just use in my music dock.

8. Captrek

I keep bringing up the Control Center accidentally. I'm used to being able to scroll with that motion.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That keeps happening on my iPad and it's annoying.

10. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Overall pretty meh. Its slow (on my iPhone4 and even on my iPad 3), I liked the double tap of the home button to bring up multi-tasking, plus a number of other things annoy me about it.

11. Captrek

Fortunately, I expect that problem to go away with experience. I just have to get used to starting the scrolling motion from the middle of the screen and not the bottom.

:confused: That still works, doesn't it? It looks different, but the app-switching functionality is still there.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes, it is. The difference is, when you do that double-tap, the apps appear as windows on the screen itself, rather than as icons at the bottom of it. You can swipe among different apps (or swipe UP to quit).

13. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Looks better. Sometimes seems a little less responsive. I think it's alright. iOS6 was one of the things that prevented me buying an iPhone (I have an iPod and an iPad).

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This doesn't affect me (Android user), but I was wondering what you guys thought of this (received in an email from NASA):

15. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I only have an iPhone 4 so I'm sticking with iOS 6 because of the performance issues. For the most part, I've already been enjoying many of the new benefits thanks to jailbreak tweaks.

16. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think iOS 7 is a huge improvement. But I don't like the cover art when scrolling the artist and songs pages or the fact that when you go to an artist it shows all their albums as well as songs on that page forcing you to scroll a lot to find the right song. Some gestures in the app would be a nice step also. The calendar is a mess as well but I've long since moved onto superior third party agenda apps.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes, this is driving me nuts. There needs to be a separate album menu for each artist.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I installed it on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. I have mixed feelings so far. On the positive side I find my devices seem to work a bit better and are more responsive. On the downside I don't care much for the new look of the apps and menus and the rest---they look overly simplistic in a cartoony way. I think I'm beginning to miss Steve Jobs.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

One thing about it is, my iphone 4S and ipod 5G are running it equally as well, the phone is slightly faster, ipod no slow down at all. No greater battery drain and some of the more awkward transitions of apps are smoother.

It's appearance is still hard to get used to and could be better, but more importantly, it functions great.

20. IronWaffle

IronWaffle Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This and some other issues with how iOS 7 handles music and podcasts are the only reason I haven't upgraded my devices yet. I like the new features and could adjust to the new design, but for me these are primarily devices for consuming audio.