Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Beyerstein, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The "prime timeline" is dead. Deal with it and move on.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

How dare you use examples from the Prime timeline to shoot down complaints people have about the Abrams films! :lol:

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for the kind words! And don't worry. I hardly expect everyone to buy all of my books, regardless of the series or subject matter. (I've learned from hard experience that you cannot give XENA books away at a TREK convention--and vise versa.) And I don't expect DS9 fans to buy my TOS books just because my name is on it.There are lots of different flavors of Trek these days and not everybody is going to like Rocky Road. :)

Getting back to Spock and Uhura, I don't recall them hanging all over each other and playing kissyface on the bridge. There was one tender kiss, when Spock was "emotionally compromised," and that was it as far as PDAs are concerned. It's not like they're making out in the rec room or something.

"Geez, get a room!" :)

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank you, I was actually surprised at how many examples they were in the Prime timeline. :lol: The TOS "main" crew seems to be the exception, actually, but even their subordinates were not above open romance.

There was one more instance, at the Transporter room, but I thought it appropriate since it was essentially a suicide mission by Spock. They didn't show PDA as far as I remember in STiD, so it's not like it happens every other scene.

6. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

Well, King Daniel, I could produce another thousand-word essay, but frankly your meme tells the whole story (at least from my perspective) in a nutshell.

Though I will, of course (since I can't be shut up) try to summarize: Had no one ever seen Star Trek Into Darkness, but only this meme had been revealed instead, it would tell the story of:

1) a main character who requires some personal resemblance to the character of the past in order to tap into existing viewer interest and loyalty;
    2) who is restricted from being exactly the same character as the past by means of a revised backstory, in order to enable some sense of artistic freedom;
    3) who ends up being changed by the rewritten events of his past so drastically as to make him completely distinguished and separated from his former persona; and therefore in order to replenish a lost sense of continuity:
    4) must channel or echo events that already happened in past stories prior to the rewriting of those events, in order to forestall viewer interest in the character from waning.

As a result, the new character is more bound and restrained than the old one. No wonder he's in pain.

DF "Unless I'm Mistaken and Spock's Really Holding Onto a Horta in That Meme" Scott

7. Greg Cox

The transporter room kiss was actually the incident I was thinking of. The turbolift scene was a private moment between Spock and Uhura and so wasn't exactly a public display of affection. No one else was watching.

And, given that he's a half-human involved with a human, and raised by a human mother to boot, it seems plausible to me that this version of Spock would be willing to bend a little when it came to private displays of affection. It would not be logical to expect Uhura to act like a Vulcan at all times.

You get involved with a human, you gotta expect to meet her halfway sometimes. :)

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That also came almost immediately after Sarek admitted that he married Amanda because he loved her. Not for any diplomatic or (Vulcan) logical reason but simply because he loved her. Spock may have simply taken more than one cue from his parents.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Nerys Myk lost me with his 'Reboots have been going on since stories first existed, back before they were called reboots' while 'New continuities aren't reboots aren't retcons', so I'm done with that.

You explain that without loosing the remaining old fans and confusing the new ones.

Yes.

Blatant statements like, while the Prime Timeline is still making money in books and games, and after posts in this thread proved reboots don't always replace their predecessors (2003's "Hulk" was a reboot of the character which was discarded for 2008's "Incredible Hulk" which was more of a homage to the original TV series, and the same can be said about the original Spiderman trilogy (mutant slingers) and the Amazing Spiderman (web shooters), doesn't make sense.

Anyone who thinks that for the rest of eternity they're going to do nothing but Kirk reboots, and that 40 some years down the line, a Next Gen reboot, remake, or new continuity isn't even a possibility, is sad.

If you believe a Next Gen reboot is possible, they're going to pull from that so called 'dead' timeline as much as NuKirk being from Iowa and NuSpock being half Vulcan.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Whats so confusing about that? People have been rewriting stories and creating new continuities for old characters since humans began telling stories. That's only been called a "reboot" in that last few decades.

Never said that. All I said is Ultimate X-men isn't quite a reboot because it didn't replace the old X-Men continuity. It exists parallel to the original continuity.

I'd still like to know how the Astonishing X-Men and the Bronze Age qualify as reboots.

11. BillJ

Of course they'll use elements. But they will pick and choose the elements that fit the story and leave the rest in the past.

12. Greg Cox

Exactly. I imagine they'll remake TNG eventually. Probably when some high-powered executive or hot new director who grew up on TNG gets enough clout to make it happen.

You see this in comics all the time. As soon as a new generation of editors and writers and artists comes of age, they almost always try to revive their childhood favorites.

"Now is my chance to write that DEVIL DINOSAUR story I've been dreaming of since sixth grade!"

Somewhere out there, even as we speak, is some huge TNG fan who is going to be biggest thing in the world fifteen years from now. And if he (or she) really wants to revive TNG, people will listen ....

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would be happy to see the Primeline revisited someday, perhaps in some sort of Anniversary Special or something but if it doesn't happen then I ain't gonna be crying in my beer about it.

Primeline had a very good run, better than most franchises get and I do not want to cheapen its memories by being all bitter with sour grapes over its loss.

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    By Vulcan standards (not Sarek's standards or Amanda's or Spock's, Vulcan in general) that IS a very noticeable, unacceptable breach of decorum and manners. Any regular Vulcan would be correct in wondering if nuSpock were mentally ill, for engaging in such behavior.

RealSpock's personal growth happened over many decades (of the character's life, as well as the series). NuSpock basically went from one extreme to the other inside of 10 minutes or so (or however long it was; the in-story timespan of events on the ship wasn't anywhere near long enough for me to believe such "growth").

Nobody's forcing them to be interested in the old timeline. I run across lots of Doctor Who fans who have absolutely zero interest in anything that happened before Christopher Eccleston. They choose to ignore (and sometimes dismiss unseen) what happened previously - some 40 years' worth of wonderful stories. If they're "confused", it's their own fault if they stay that way due to refusing to get "unconfused" (by consulting other fans and resources that could explain things to them) - and this also applies to the nuTrek fans who prefer to ignore what came before.

Romance isn't prohibited. But there are regulations and social conventions about how that romance is expressed. Torres and Paris were reprimanded for their blatant PDAs in Voyager. They weren't told they couldn't have a relationship. They were told to keep it off-duty and in the privacy of their quarters or the holodeck.

That's just rude. The "prime timeline" may be dead as far as new movies/TV is concerned. It's not dead anywhere else, so YOU deal with THAT.

I've only ever gone to two fan events that were limited to one show - Star Trek in 1978 (an afternoon event with George Takei, in Calgary) and Doctor Who in the late '80s, at the Spokane PBS station when Sylvester McCoy was touring across the US after having taken over the role from Colin Baker. The rest of the events I've been to have been conventions where the guests have been authors, artists, editors, university professors, people from the local planetarium, and even Phil Currie, who runs the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology in Drumheller. No actors. These conventions had a wonderfully eclectic mix of people and guests, with many common interests. You could indeed have "given away" a Xena book while also selling your ST books. There are some extremely enthusiastic Xena fans in this area, even this many years after the show ended; one friend of mine started writing a fanfic crossover of Xena & Deep Space Nine! :)

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No "normal Vulcans" were present. The Spock in this timeframe is the same one who smiled after touching a vibrating leaf and shouts "the women!!!!" when two female crewmates disappear. I don't think Spock at this point in his lives was overly bothered by Vulcan "decorum and manners". Even Spock later in his life in the PrimeUniverse was known to break decorum. Some of his best scenes are when he does. He does the strict Vulcan thing to get on humans' nerves.

16. Greg Cox

Oh, most cons are not so specialized, I agree. I was mostly thinking of some Creation cons I attended back in the day. At Shore Leave a few weeks back, I was signing everything from Star Trek to Warehouse 13 to Iron Man and beyond.

As for Vulcan dating etiquette, it's worth remembering that Spock in not a typical Vulcan engaged in a typical Vulcan relationship. If Spock wanted to adhere to strictly Vulcan standards, he would have just entered the Vulcan Science Academy as expected, instead of joining Starfleet. He has a lot of Amanda in him, maybe even more so than in the original iteration. And I imagine that his relationship with Uhura would be even more "human" than his parents' marriage, since Sarek was a full Vulcan raised entirely by Vulcans and less likely to overcome his upbringing.

NuSpock may even feel that he is honoring the memory of his martyred mother by allowing himself to be more "human" with Uhura this time around . . ..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And this would differ from all of the times Spock showed emotion in TOS ("JIM!!!!" etc) and the movies how, exactly?
    Well, it was enough for me so each to their own. Remember that TOS and TMP were all essentially stand-alone stories, as is STXI. It's not like there was a long term TOS - TMP plan for Spock's emotional awakening which gradually unfolded.

18. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

King Daniel and Greg, I think I understand your points, and correct me if I'm misstating them: You're happy for a character who appears to have overcome a severe handicap, and now he can move on and be a more well-rounded person. He no longer has to be defined by a disability.

I suppose, speaking on behalf of actual people who have ever had even a slight disability and then overcame it, that does make some sense.

But let's be fair: Here's a character in whom some of us have invested nearly a half-century of interest, and one of the reasons has been being privileged to watch him overcome, by fits and starts, a personal psychological disability. He was incapable of expressing romantic love. Oh, he's certainly capable of emotion at some level, and his repression of emotion is a personal, daily choice rather than some missing circuitry. He certainly wanted to express romantic love, as he directly implied in his apology to Christine Chapel.

But even when slightly intoxicated (or the metaphysical equivalent), he was reduced to a babbling puddle of tears. When heavily intoxicated, sure, Jill Ireland became the love of his live in three seconds. Yet the side of his character that was revealed in that episode completely and successfully repressed the part of Spock that was devoted to his duty and that was honorable as a man, in the same way that his "honor-side" had successfully repressed his sexual urges. Only through being humiliated by Kirk did he recover his memory of how to repress the feeling of being humiliated, and his honorable side return.

Now, over the years, various incidents (among them, death and rebirth) gave the man opportunities to reconcile his two halves. And it was good to watch that process happen. We appreciated the "personal growth," to borrow Daniel's phrase.

For a rewritten version of the story to rewind history and say all that personal trauma and trial and reconciliation and doubt and grief were unnecessary, and the right woman's kiss cleared everything up and things are now hunky-dory, is to devalue the previous storyline. It doesn't eliminate it from our history, but it does sorta say, "Ah, well, who cares?"

Put another way: At one level, hypothetically, it might be interesting to have rebooted a character named "Ironside" as a detective who, after being shot, underwent a life-saving operation, overcame paralysis, and now stands upright and jogs every morning. We'd be happy for him if we got to see the recovery process -- if someone were to tell that story and make it interesting and personal. But to presume the story is already told is to cheat the viewer, as well as to effectively declare the recovery process itself (the "personal growth") unimportant.

DF "Mark, Get Me Out of This Flamin' Chair!" Scott

19. BillJ

If it's good enough for TOS, then it's good enough for the Abramsverse.

20. BillJ

I don't think the Abramsverse films have said that at all. This version of Spock has different doubts and concerns and maybe be just a bit unhinged after the destruction of his world and death of his mother. Plus, you have to figure in that he isn't as old as his TOS series counterpart.

There's more than enough room to get Spock to his TOS "self" or to take him in a completely new direction. I'm enjoying the ride.