Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I knew about Blind Man's Bluff, but that's old news. I was hoping that by now there would be a proper description of the book and/or a cover. *shrug*

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I would imagine that, as always, the schedule at this point is not necessarily final or comprehensive.

3. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking good, though I'd like to see a DS9 offering on this list :techman:

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

There's a reprint of Worlds Of DS9 III next month...

5. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm excited for most of the things on the upcoming schedule. I do wish that a DS9 novel was in that group. Also, it looks pretty light on Typhon Pact time period material. Only Children of the Storm and possibly Indistinguishable from Magic look like they are charting that future, although DTI could go anywhen, and Rise Like Lions could drop some clues if it goes far enough ahead.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The novels sound interesting. I notice that many are a mish-mash of characters from the various series', and some of these crossovers (Valaris meets Vaughn? Spock meets Sisko?) sound a little pointless. We'll see.

Still nothing nuTrek related (outside those icky-sounding "romance filled" tween books) :(.

I'm hoping someone will get a clue and we'll get a prequel to STXII before June 2012 (a seperate novel to go with the inevitable comic miniseries - imagine how cool a Kelvin novel would have been prior to STXI!), or maybe those aborted novels currently gathering dust on a hard drive somewhere, tweaked a little to fit into the grand scheme.

I guess it comes down to the guy in charge of the Trek books and/or the people at Bad Robot having any initiative or not.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I agree and they didn't even have any author comments in the magazine article. It and the YA books were the only ones that didn't have any kind of author comments.

Apparently it is MMPB. The beginning of the article said they were all MMPB unless stated otherwise, and it didn't state otherwise in the entry For In Shariel's Jaws.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  8. o'brien's scotch

o'brien's scotch Captain Captain

Basically, any series that didn't get any love in 2010 (ENT, VOY, & VAN) get picked up in 2011. Any word on what "Indistinguishable From Magic" is about? What timeframe?

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, based on what we've been told here, it takes place after Destiny, and focuses on O'Brien, Nog, and (I think) Scotty, working to solve a technological mystery.

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Also, La Forge.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It takes place a couple of months after the last Typhon Pact book, and features Geordi, Scotty, Nog, Guinan, and some other familiar faces.

No O'Brien, though he is referenced in dialogue. If the magazine update mentions him in the cast then its a typo.

12. Christopher

As for DTI: Watching the Clock, it primarily takes place in the interval between Destiny and Typhon Pact.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope, I just remembered wrong. I really need to start checking that stuff before I post.:ack:

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the information, JD. I'm rather excited. I'm glad the Children of the Storm are getting a proper follow-up. :)
    The schedule keeps looking better and better.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sounds interesting although too bad there's no O'Brien in it. But Guinan appearing more than makes up for it. :D

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just realized that this will only be her second appearance since Generations.

17. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

:vulcan:
    I'm pretty sure that's not true.

18. Christopher

Yeah... canonically, Guinan was at the wedding reception in NEM, and I guess that means she was also in A Time for War, A Time for Peace. And of course she had a sizeable role in Greater Than the Sum. And that's just if we're talking in-universe chronology. She's been in several works published after GEN came out, including Stargazer: Oblivion, The Buried Age, and a couple of stories in anthologies.

19. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

^^ And I imagine the technological mystery is how to get Data back on line after they find him scattered in a million pieces? :)

Kevin

20. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention Planet X!