Do you think LotR holds up?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by suarezguy, Mar 12, 2014.

1. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rewatched the films (theatrical) recently and while a lot does work, Wood and Mortensen were fairly underwhelming, Wood especially being limited and choppy in his range, and Pippin was particularly underdeveloped until TRotK. The middle of the first film felt pretty rushed and dependent on the effects while there wasn't much plot in the second. Gollum was pretty good but at times too cheaply comical and I didn't like how literal the division and interaction between his Good and Evil sides were (although I realize it's hard to do something subtler on film).

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Frodo & Sam stuff started to annoy me pretty soon.

And while I could watch Fellowship daily, the other two films somehow do nothing for me anymore.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I watch these movies at least once every 6 months. Yes, they still hold up just fine.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, these films are ancient. Time for them to be remade.

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These were "problems" that always existed. What would make them not "hold up" now as opposed to then?

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. I do not think that the Lord of the Rings Trilogy holds up. The strongest entry is Frellowship of the Rings, in my opinion. But a reboot? Another movie, or series of films? I'm not sure what that could accomplish that Peter Jackson hasn't, already. There could be a more literally faithful version of LOTR, certainly. But ... that would be the only difference and it would be so minor that it would hardly make the effort of making it worthwhile. What should happen is a condensed, combined version of the LOTR trilogy that's already out there. Make it a single, 3 hour-long movie, or so. Otherwise, I fail to find the point of revisiting this classic, in movie form.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Middle Earth based TV series... HMM Of course, if they did that now people would accuse them of trying to cash in on Game of Thrones success..lol

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I'm not a very big LotR fan. I enjoyed the films, and I watch them again every now and then. For me, they're always a good watch.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't watch them nearly as often as i used to anymore, but yes, they still hold up and rank among my favorite films of all times.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

They hold up quite well AFAIC, though I do find them "dense" enough that I tend to need breaks while watching them. That said I also only watch the Extended Editions these days.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The first film has pacing issues, the second one is to all intents and purposes perfect, and the third one has plot and CGI issues.

Overall though, they're still fantastic...

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Re-watched them again about a month ago and will do again when I have DoS to do a 5 film runthrough.

The CGI is looking rough these days, the acting? please, read the book and tell me the actors are actually more cheesey or silly at times, the narrative holds up just fine.

13. sojourner

Any movie over 10 years old should be remade. I cite Spiderman as proof.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Matrix trilogy it is then. But we're going to re-use Keanu Reeves just out of spite.

15. sojourner

But this time around Keanu plays Agent Smith. Fits his acting better.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're technical marvels and the acting is top notch. They were filmed in 1999 but they could easily have been made the other day.

17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Naah, Keanu can play Neo — but only if they use a digital version of him, not a live Keanu. He'll be more convincing as an actor.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

You're missing the joke but ok.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

No, just riding roughshod over the first joke. Bad form, sorry.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Just saying there's no need of a remake. Besides the Hobbit is currently being released so we'd at least have to wait a few years after it finished before considering it.

Say...2020.