jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

My ultimate hope is this whole escapade is the extra leverage Paramount needs to convince CBS to get a series going.

As I previously said in one of these threads, we are in an era where television has surpassed film in scope, depth, and all-around quality of storytelling, and there is no Star Trek show on the airwaves. I think that's a real shame.

I think it's the perfect time to go back, and this might be just the kick in the rear TPTB needed.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would they do that if Into Darkness is a success? The natural and sensible thing then is to go ahead with the third movie.

Maybe Abrams will get Brad Bird to direct it? ;)

OTOH, there is simply no clear path to big success with a Trek TV series in the current industry.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

"Fair" has nothing to do with it. Commercial Hollywood studios are NOT charity organizations with the obligation to promote "up and coming directors". They are businesses interested in making a profit. Besides, Abrams, Nolan, Vaughn, hell, even Spielberg at one time, were all "up and coming directors". Why should they not reap the benefits of their earlier work when it becomes possible to do so?

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides, Hollywood is producing hundreds of movies every year. It's not as if Star Trek was the only opportunity for up and coming directors to prove their worth.

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with what you say about the much higher quality of the production values of many TV series in recent years, but for what it's worth, I've honestly gotten to the point where I have little or no interest in a new Trek TV series, any more. At least not just any Trek TV series. A very high quality, well-funded, and well-cast attempt to bring Kirk et al back to TV might cause my eyebrow to rise.

6. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly at this point, I'd be more interested in a Trek series that aired on Showtime instead of over the air channels. I think that might allow them push things a little more.

7. Franklin

Or like a lot of BBC series, just six or fewer episodes a season, but with a lot of effort put into each.
    Still, I think it would only catch my interest if they brought the original TOS crew back to TV. I can't see myself getting invested in yet another version of Trek in yet another time and setting with yet another set of characters in maybe yet another universe.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shows like Trek are very expensive to make for television and almost have to be home run from the get go to pay for themselves.

Look at all of the high production quality TV shows that didn't get renewed because even though the their ratings were adequate it simply doesn't make financial sense to make them.

Revolution is one of the few shows returning that probably cost a lot of money to make compartiavely to the hugely popular Dancing with the Stars which cost a pittance to produce.

TV success stories like The Walking Dead are an anomaly in today's 300 channel environment.

I'm not sure the ratings would be there for Trek to pay for itself on regular broadcast television and still do it right in terms of production quality.

9. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4GjfH-UF2A[/yt]

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I didn't mean a series instead of a third film. It's a foregone conclusion that, unless STID is a total flop, which it won't be, there will be a third film.

However, the future beyond that isn't nearly as clear now. Even since ST09 was first announced, there has been scuttlebutt that it was intended to be a trilogy. That makes sense. Hollywood loves trilogies. And I think the news puts it more in the "likely" column.

Sure, Bad Robot could finish the third film and say "full steam ahead!" For all we know, Disney only intends this to be a one film gig and plan to pass EpiVIII off to Whedon, Affleck, Verbinski, etc.

On the other hand, Paramount might find themselves facing, at best, a recasting and staffing or, at worst, another reboot and may feel that Star Trek simply lacks the ubiquitous slate comics have that so easy allow for multiple restarts.

However, for awhile now the rumor-mill has been churning out Trek series talk. It seems like Paramount has had its hand on the red phone to CBS for awhile now, but hasn't had reason to start dialing--even if STID is success.

So instead of risking things on the unknown future of the film franchise, the CBS/Paramount PTB could decide that, between the second and third films, they start putting the pieces in place for a series to hit the ground after the third film. That way they can keep the momentum going while they decided what to do about the fourth.

It has the added bonus of allowing for Abrams to put his stamp on it (and perhaps supply a couple of his TV minions) while requiring very little of him physically. Then they'd just bring in MacFarlane, JMS, or whatever name is flavorful that week.

See, I believe Trek simply works best on television. My biggest problem with film Trek is it does seem limited to one type of film. Since TWOK, there's really been one template that all films have followed, save one. Each film has gone outside the various lines, sure, but only slightly. And as the years have passed, that template seems to have become more ridged and strict. In fact, I don't know if TVH gets made today.

Don't get me wrong, I love the template. As long as they keep making them, I continue to go see them, and as long as they're of good, I'll enjoy them. However, a little variety would be nice.

This is especially true when you consider the stories Trek seems to be best at--the classics. Corbominte, City, Inner Light, Vistor, etc. all work so much better on television, and I just don't see a story of those various natures to ever be made into blockbuster films.

11. Franklin

Oh, I agree. Trek is a sponge suitable for almost any type of story. And, the best TV episodes wouldn't have made blockbuster films. Even TWOK is considered by some an extended TV episode. It makes me happy and sad that we had ST09. Happy because we have it. Sad because we may get only two more.

Still, I guess I just don't want 21 episodes a year where only one or two might be real gems. I also don't want anything too esoteric to Trek culture (sorry, Section 31 fans) to become "my" new Trek show. I'd like to think that somewhere out there, the next actor to play Captain Kirk just turned 21. Call me old and sentimental.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

The most interesting part of this whole story to me is that so many industry people are treating the "huge success" of Into Darkness as a foregone conclusion.

13. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

14. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Yes it is. TV as we know it is dying. The rerun/syndication market is almost gone and dvd/blu-ray are being replaced by streaming and theft. Nobody is making any money on big budget tv series. The wildly successful Walking Dead had its enormous ratings rewarded with a huge budget cut for season two; another smaller one for season three; and yet another for the forthcoming season four. Even if a Trek series were to roll out the big guns (Kirk/Spock) it wouldn't come close to Walking Dead's ratings. The aforementioned George Lucas even decided he wasn't going to make any money on live action tv Star Wars unless he could get the budget way down.

Movie attendance remains the only stability Hollywood is looking at right now.

We can safely assume Kennedy and Lucas have seen it.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a perfect set-up for a Smallville Trek/Starfleet Academy series to me!:)

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

If he's 21 now, the actor will be nearly 30 by the time he's cast to play the role.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

One would assume.

With the number of contract workers who move from studio to studio and project to project, not to mention executives, etc who know about these movies in detail it's pretty astonishing that there aren't more public leaks that there are.

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Iron Man 3 comes out on May 3rd and has enough time to not compete with Trek which opens May 17th.

Other than Iron Man I don't see any other films in the same type of genre that compete with Trek in May. Man of Steel and World War Z in mid-June are the next competitors against Trek.

May 2013 movie releases

June releases

19. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I personally think that it takes a combination of respect for the past and what things worked - and what *made* the original so beloved and iconic ...and willingness to drop what didn't work - no matter how big a part of the original/franchise that it was - and try brave, bold new things.